Wheezing dog.

Breed: Rat Terrier
My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or as though she is not feeling well for hours after. (Dry, warm nose.) She wears a harness and I do not push her too hard but this has happened three times now simply strolling through our neighborhood. She loves to go for walks and is always so excited, so it is upsetting to see that this is the result. Should I be concerned? Is it some kind of allergy or something caused from her smelling the spots that other dogs like to frequent in the fields around here?

We do sometimes see dogs who get asthma (also known as small airway disease). If this is what Rascal has, then it usually can be treated with medication. Sometimes we will prescribe small doses of steroid tablets. Other times we will use a medication called theophylline and sometimes we will use a puffer with a special attachment to make it easier for a dog to take the medication.

There are other possibilities. It really would be a great idea to have your vet take a look. They will have a good listen to her chest to see if there is possibly any heart disease. If you live in an area that sees a lot of heartworm, and she hasn't been on heartworm medication then this is a possibility as well.

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (7852 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (16121 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (54550 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (7897 views)

What kind of food? I need a food recommendation for our two Aussies (one mini 5 yr old male at 32lbs... (8637 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (8524 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (12214 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (10717 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (60068 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (39085 views)