Wheezing dog.

Breed: Rat Terrier
My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or as though she is not feeling well for hours after. (Dry, warm nose.) She wears a harness and I do not push her too hard but this has happened three times now simply strolling through our neighborhood. She loves to go for walks and is always so excited, so it is upsetting to see that this is the result. Should I be concerned? Is it some kind of allergy or something caused from her smelling the spots that other dogs like to frequent in the fields around here?

We do sometimes see dogs who get asthma (also known as small airway disease). If this is what Rascal has, then it usually can be treated with medication. Sometimes we will prescribe small doses of steroid tablets. Other times we will use a medication called theophylline and sometimes we will use a puffer with a special attachment to make it easier for a dog to take the medication.

There are other possibilities. It really would be a great idea to have your vet take a look. They will have a good listen to her chest to see if there is possibly any heart disease. If you live in an area that sees a lot of heartworm, and she hasn't been on heartworm medication then this is a possibility as well.

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (21890 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (13816 views)

Is this a chest tumor? Hello. My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing... (12667 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (10134 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (22584 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (10884 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (7151 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (24039 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (11405 views)

Ear infection. Fred has been miserable. I have tried what i know to do. He has had a ear infection... (8194 views)