Wheezing dog.

Breed: Rat Terrier
My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or as though she is not feeling well for hours after. (Dry, warm nose.) She wears a harness and I do not push her too hard but this has happened three times now simply strolling through our neighborhood. She loves to go for walks and is always so excited, so it is upsetting to see that this is the result. Should I be concerned? Is it some kind of allergy or something caused from her smelling the spots that other dogs like to frequent in the fields around here?

We do sometimes see dogs who get asthma (also known as small airway disease). If this is what Rascal has, then it usually can be treated with medication. Sometimes we will prescribe small doses of steroid tablets. Other times we will use a medication called theophylline and sometimes we will use a puffer with a special attachment to make it easier for a dog to take the medication.

There are other possibilities. It really would be a great idea to have your vet take a look. They will have a good listen to her chest to see if there is possibly any heart disease. If you live in an area that sees a lot of heartworm, and she hasn't been on heartworm medication then this is a possibility as well.

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (9723 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (17893 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (10666 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (15617 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (6151 views)

Atropine? I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and... (6288 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (7176 views)

Does Hartz kill roundworms? well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or... (9092 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (49254 views)

Hibiscus toxic to dogs? Are Hibiscus flowers poisonous? I caught my pomeranian eating one this morning... (21064 views)