Wheezing dog.

Breed: Rat Terrier
My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or as though she is not feeling well for hours after. (Dry, warm nose.) She wears a harness and I do not push her too hard but this has happened three times now simply strolling through our neighborhood. She loves to go for walks and is always so excited, so it is upsetting to see that this is the result. Should I be concerned? Is it some kind of allergy or something caused from her smelling the spots that other dogs like to frequent in the fields around here?

We do sometimes see dogs who get asthma (also known as small airway disease). If this is what Rascal has, then it usually can be treated with medication. Sometimes we will prescribe small doses of steroid tablets. Other times we will use a medication called theophylline and sometimes we will use a puffer with a special attachment to make it easier for a dog to take the medication.

There are other possibilities. It really would be a great idea to have your vet take a look. They will have a good listen to her chest to see if there is possibly any heart disease. If you live in an area that sees a lot of heartworm, and she hasn't been on heartworm medication then this is a possibility as well.

Chronic ehrlichiosis treatment. I have a 7 year old Black Russian Terrier that was diagnosed 1 year ago with... (14882 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (8569 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (13204 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (12024 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (9849 views)

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (13301 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (8943 views)

Wound on cat. My father's cat Jerry is 3 year old neutered male DSH who is up-to-date on all... (5257 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (5740 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (7230 views)