Wheezing dog.

Breed: Rat Terrier
My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or as though she is not feeling well for hours after. (Dry, warm nose.) She wears a harness and I do not push her too hard but this has happened three times now simply strolling through our neighborhood. She loves to go for walks and is always so excited, so it is upsetting to see that this is the result. Should I be concerned? Is it some kind of allergy or something caused from her smelling the spots that other dogs like to frequent in the fields around here?

We do sometimes see dogs who get asthma (also known as small airway disease). If this is what Rascal has, then it usually can be treated with medication. Sometimes we will prescribe small doses of steroid tablets. Other times we will use a medication called theophylline and sometimes we will use a puffer with a special attachment to make it easier for a dog to take the medication.

There are other possibilities. It really would be a great idea to have your vet take a look. They will have a good listen to her chest to see if there is possibly any heart disease. If you live in an area that sees a lot of heartworm, and she hasn't been on heartworm medication then this is a possibility as well.

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (14457 views)

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad. My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this... (74508 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (24148 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (15867 views)

Cipro problems? When I was on vacation, my dog borded at my vet. My dad visited and gave him a large... (12127 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (8342 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (72429 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (8752 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (16877 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (33993 views)