Wheezing dog.

Breed: Rat Terrier
My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or as though she is not feeling well for hours after. (Dry, warm nose.) She wears a harness and I do not push her too hard but this has happened three times now simply strolling through our neighborhood. She loves to go for walks and is always so excited, so it is upsetting to see that this is the result. Should I be concerned? Is it some kind of allergy or something caused from her smelling the spots that other dogs like to frequent in the fields around here?

We do sometimes see dogs who get asthma (also known as small airway disease). If this is what Rascal has, then it usually can be treated with medication. Sometimes we will prescribe small doses of steroid tablets. Other times we will use a medication called theophylline and sometimes we will use a puffer with a special attachment to make it easier for a dog to take the medication.

There are other possibilities. It really would be a great idea to have your vet take a look. They will have a good listen to her chest to see if there is possibly any heart disease. If you live in an area that sees a lot of heartworm, and she hasn't been on heartworm medication then this is a possibility as well.

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (16062 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (10309 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (15860 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (6192 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (8954 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (22484 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (10604 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (18720 views)

Rice grain like worms in poop. my dog has rice grain-like worms in her poop. can you tell me what kind they are.... (15721 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (20511 views)