Wheezing dog.

Breed: Rat Terrier
My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or as though she is not feeling well for hours after. (Dry, warm nose.) She wears a harness and I do not push her too hard but this has happened three times now simply strolling through our neighborhood. She loves to go for walks and is always so excited, so it is upsetting to see that this is the result. Should I be concerned? Is it some kind of allergy or something caused from her smelling the spots that other dogs like to frequent in the fields around here?

We do sometimes see dogs who get asthma (also known as small airway disease). If this is what Rascal has, then it usually can be treated with medication. Sometimes we will prescribe small doses of steroid tablets. Other times we will use a medication called theophylline and sometimes we will use a puffer with a special attachment to make it easier for a dog to take the medication.

There are other possibilities. It really would be a great idea to have your vet take a look. They will have a good listen to her chest to see if there is possibly any heart disease. If you live in an area that sees a lot of heartworm, and she hasn't been on heartworm medication then this is a possibility as well.

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (14824 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (9842 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (9953 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (8398 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (262125 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (55002 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (17889 views)

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (25130 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (12897 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (25881 views)