Wheezing dog.

Breed: Rat Terrier
My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or as though she is not feeling well for hours after. (Dry, warm nose.) She wears a harness and I do not push her too hard but this has happened three times now simply strolling through our neighborhood. She loves to go for walks and is always so excited, so it is upsetting to see that this is the result. Should I be concerned? Is it some kind of allergy or something caused from her smelling the spots that other dogs like to frequent in the fields around here?

We do sometimes see dogs who get asthma (also known as small airway disease). If this is what Rascal has, then it usually can be treated with medication. Sometimes we will prescribe small doses of steroid tablets. Other times we will use a medication called theophylline and sometimes we will use a puffer with a special attachment to make it easier for a dog to take the medication.

There are other possibilities. It really would be a great idea to have your vet take a look. They will have a good listen to her chest to see if there is possibly any heart disease. If you live in an area that sees a lot of heartworm, and she hasn't been on heartworm medication then this is a possibility as well.

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (13673 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (9676 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (14663 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (12622 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (13103 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5022 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (7976 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (23202 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (11029 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (28151 views)