Hamster is dying.

Breed: Syrian Hamster
My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much , But yesterday I noticed his stomach/abdomen area is really swollen . Also his eyes are closed and they look a little red around the edges . Normally he takes the food in his cheecks and empties it into the house . However he isnt letting the food out of his cheecks . He fell onto his back earlier and couldnt get back up again . Ive tried feeding him through a syringe but he isnt wanting to drink a lot of it . I understand he is old now , But was just wondering how I can make him more comfortable . Thank you

Oh, the poor little guy. I'm not sure that I've seen a hamster that was almost 3 years old. On average they usually live about 18 months.

What you are describing does not sound good for Sabastian. Unfortunately there is probably not much that can be done. I wouldn't try too hard with the syringe feeding. If he will accept it then that's good, but if he doesn't want it then forcing it will not accomplish much.

I think at this point you really have two options. I have found that once hamsters get to this point of illness they usually pass away quickly. So, one option is to just wait and let things happen naturally. (I don't usually recommend that with dogs and cats, but with hamsters, again, they seem to usually pass quite quickly and peacefully.)

The second option would be to have your vet put him to sleep. This is probably the better option so that we know that he is not uncomfortable any more.

I wish I could give you some more advice on what you can do to help but really there is not much that can be done.

I'm so sorry. I hope Sebastian's end is peaceful.

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (11862 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (15745 views)

Hypothyroidism in Sheltie. Hi My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low... (7867 views)

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (12473 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (5885 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (64595 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (8239 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (10528 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (11611 views)

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (5026 views)