Urinating outside of box.

Breed: Long haired tabby
Hi there,

I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella, Blue Point) both 4, brought home as kittens at around the same time. They have both been spayed and neutered. When they were brought home, litter training them was a breeze. For the past couple years Duke has found a love for the outdoors but only the past couple months has he also found a love for urinating outside his litter box, usually on curtains, sofas, speakers and other mainly absorbent but obvious objects around the house. When I let him outside, I usually sit in the kitchen and watch him as I live in the city and letting him out alone is not something I think is safe and too keen on. He's restricted to the backyard. Mind you, when I do let him out it's usually when he wants to and for the most part he either comes in on his own or when I need to leave. When he's brought in involuntarily, that's when he almost always urinates. Now as I'm a student I don't have money to be putting towards vet bills as I'm almost positive this is a behavioural issue so I've been trying some things on my own such as getting another litter box (thinking he didn't like to share), changing the litter daily, cleaning the litter almost right after its used, spraying the furniture with cat repellent, working out my schedule so he can stay outside longer, etc. But still, as soon as it's time for him to come in and my back is turned, the smell of urine is lingering and it's a hunt to find it. Now getting rid of him is not an option but this issue has to be solved.

Any help would be ever so greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Tasia

Hi Tasia. I know how frustrating it can be when a cat is urinating in the house!

If it is at all possible I would really advise a vet visit for Duke. Quite often when a cat starts to urinate in the house there is a medical problem such as crystals in the urine or interstitial cystitis. If there is a medical problem, the longer we wait to treat it, the more expensive it is going to be to treat.

You are doing all of the right things when it comes to helping in case it is a behavioral issue.

Here are a few other things you can try:

-Experiment with different types of litter.
-Experiment with different sizes of litter boxes.
-Experiment with covered vs non covered boxes.
-Look into a product called feliway which is feline pheromones which help reduce anxiety in cats.

This can be a very frustrating problem. Again, if you can swing a vet visit it is the best idea. If your vet finds that the urine is normal they may be willing to prescribe some medication to help with anxiety. This usually cuts down on urine marking dramatically. Quite often we can use this medication for a few months and then wean a cat off.

I hope things get better soon!

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (3843 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (3540 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (8138 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (9395 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (19305 views)

Wound on ear won't heal. My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she... (13689 views)

Rabies from a feral kitten? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I... (10557 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (5470 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (11501 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (6693 views)