Gabapentin and Metacam

Breed: domestic short hair
My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it worked for a while but she won't take it anymore. Vet gave Metacam but after two doses she vomited. She is 9 pounds and doseage was 0.2 ml every other day. I stopped using it and am now trying Gabapentin. I think the Metacam might have been to much for her and a lower does may work better. My question is can Metacam and Gabapentin be taken together? Lily is otherwise healthy. All her bloodwork is great, eats well and gets plenty of water. I just want to ease her pain for as long as her quality of life is good. My vet will not prescribe her any other pain medication such as Tramadal which I don't understand why not. Thank you very much!!

Arthritis can be a difficult thing to figure out in cats. As you have found, it can be hard to find medicines that are easy to give and that the cat tolerates.

I usually do find that Metacam is a good option. If your cat is having trouble tolerating it, you could ask your vet may be going every third day instead of every second day would work. Another option is to have them also prescribe a stomach protectant, but then that adds another medicine for you to give.

Yes, Metacam and gabapentin can be given together.

If Cosequin was previously working well for your cat, you could ask your vet about giving something similar by injection. Products like Adequan and Cartrophen are injectable forms of something similar to glucosamine that are given on a monthly basis. Initially though most animals need one injection a week for 3 to 4 weeks.

I am not a fan of tramadol for long-term pain relief and cats. It comes in a pill form that is difficult to give to cats. Also, I have seen too many cats have weird reactions to the drug. I don't find it works well for long-term arthritis pain control.

You could also ask your vet about trying a prescription joint diet. These diets have products like Cosequin and others built right into them and cats usually like it.

I hope that helps, and I hope your cat continues to do okay.

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (8744 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (9272 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (17910 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (21697 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (27714 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (4939 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (27587 views)

Cloudy eye with blood. My dog has what seemed to be pink eye but the blood has seeped into the iris. There... (8962 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (13375 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (16000 views)