Cat shaking and licking lips.

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been healthy and happy. One day a few weeks ago he came in from outside and went to eat some food, smelled his food, ran away and started shaking his head and licking his lips, and also shaking his head when he licks his fur. We were sure he got something on it from how he was acting but he spends his days out in the fenced in back yard with no access to anything unusual. He has been back there all summer during the day and this just started. We don't use fertilizer or chemicals. This has continued so he has been to the vet and got blood work done showing everything is good, also had him put under and his mouth examined and lots of x-rays taken and his teeth look good as well. Its a long frustrating ordeal. He is still happy but this thing he does happens a lot. He acts like he just got poison in his mouth and is shaking his head back and forth to get the taste out. Do you have any idea what it is? We have some creeping charlie in the way back yard, but he doesn't eat it. Can that happen from him just walking on it? Also we have 2 grape tomato plants which I heard are bad for cats, he doesn't eat them but can he get like that from being around them? Otherwise we don't have a ton of weird plants, some rose bushes, hostas, and other bushes. Do you have any ideas? Our vet isn't sure and we have run out of ideas.
Thank you for your help.

Sorry to hear that Oscar is having problems. What a strange situation!

It sounds like your vet is doing all the same things I would do. How frustrating that no answers have been found so far!

I don't think I have an answer for you, but let me brainstorm for a bit and give you a few ideas.

Do you ever put a topical flea product on him such as Revolution, Advantage or Frontline? If so, these products can leave a nasty taste on the fur for a while. Similarly, if you have a flea collar on him this could cause these symptoms.

I really don't think it's from the plants or tomatoes in your yard.

I'm wondering if it some sort of seizure? When it is happening again it would be a great idea to videotape the incident and then show it to your vet. Your vet can help you determine if it seems like a strange type of seizure.

Another possibility, although not common is something called a liver shunt. Cats who have a liver shunt can do more drooling than usual and can have unusual neurological symptoms. It can sometimes be hard to diagnose as sometimes bloodwork is normal. A liver shunt is a serious problem so hopefully that is not what is going on.

I wish I had more answers for you...it's an unusual situation!

Dr.Marie.

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (32714 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (9483 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (5288 views)

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (5643 views)

Dog won't eat. well dr my dog he always wants to go outside and doesnt want to eat his food and we... (12109 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (12332 views)

Improper tail docking? I just acquired my puppy from a backyard breeder who I was told cut off the puppies... (8701 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (16535 views)

Human mouthwash for dog? Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a... (21527 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (12335 views)