Cat shaking and licking lips.

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been healthy and happy. One day a few weeks ago he came in from outside and went to eat some food, smelled his food, ran away and started shaking his head and licking his lips, and also shaking his head when he licks his fur. We were sure he got something on it from how he was acting but he spends his days out in the fenced in back yard with no access to anything unusual. He has been back there all summer during the day and this just started. We don't use fertilizer or chemicals. This has continued so he has been to the vet and got blood work done showing everything is good, also had him put under and his mouth examined and lots of x-rays taken and his teeth look good as well. Its a long frustrating ordeal. He is still happy but this thing he does happens a lot. He acts like he just got poison in his mouth and is shaking his head back and forth to get the taste out. Do you have any idea what it is? We have some creeping charlie in the way back yard, but he doesn't eat it. Can that happen from him just walking on it? Also we have 2 grape tomato plants which I heard are bad for cats, he doesn't eat them but can he get like that from being around them? Otherwise we don't have a ton of weird plants, some rose bushes, hostas, and other bushes. Do you have any ideas? Our vet isn't sure and we have run out of ideas.
Thank you for your help.

Sorry to hear that Oscar is having problems. What a strange situation!

It sounds like your vet is doing all the same things I would do. How frustrating that no answers have been found so far!

I don't think I have an answer for you, but let me brainstorm for a bit and give you a few ideas.

Do you ever put a topical flea product on him such as Revolution, Advantage or Frontline? If so, these products can leave a nasty taste on the fur for a while. Similarly, if you have a flea collar on him this could cause these symptoms.

I really don't think it's from the plants or tomatoes in your yard.

I'm wondering if it some sort of seizure? When it is happening again it would be a great idea to videotape the incident and then show it to your vet. Your vet can help you determine if it seems like a strange type of seizure.

Another possibility, although not common is something called a liver shunt. Cats who have a liver shunt can do more drooling than usual and can have unusual neurological symptoms. It can sometimes be hard to diagnose as sometimes bloodwork is normal. A liver shunt is a serious problem so hopefully that is not what is going on.

I wish I had more answers for you...it's an unusual situation!

Dr.Marie.

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (20757 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (6414 views)

Cat with bloody diarrhea iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i... (7249 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (14154 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (13086 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (31479 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (14854 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (5167 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (31132 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (15591 views)