Cat shaking and licking lips.

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been healthy and happy. One day a few weeks ago he came in from outside and went to eat some food, smelled his food, ran away and started shaking his head and licking his lips, and also shaking his head when he licks his fur. We were sure he got something on it from how he was acting but he spends his days out in the fenced in back yard with no access to anything unusual. He has been back there all summer during the day and this just started. We don't use fertilizer or chemicals. This has continued so he has been to the vet and got blood work done showing everything is good, also had him put under and his mouth examined and lots of x-rays taken and his teeth look good as well. Its a long frustrating ordeal. He is still happy but this thing he does happens a lot. He acts like he just got poison in his mouth and is shaking his head back and forth to get the taste out. Do you have any idea what it is? We have some creeping charlie in the way back yard, but he doesn't eat it. Can that happen from him just walking on it? Also we have 2 grape tomato plants which I heard are bad for cats, he doesn't eat them but can he get like that from being around them? Otherwise we don't have a ton of weird plants, some rose bushes, hostas, and other bushes. Do you have any ideas? Our vet isn't sure and we have run out of ideas.
Thank you for your help.

Sorry to hear that Oscar is having problems. What a strange situation!

It sounds like your vet is doing all the same things I would do. How frustrating that no answers have been found so far!

I don't think I have an answer for you, but let me brainstorm for a bit and give you a few ideas.

Do you ever put a topical flea product on him such as Revolution, Advantage or Frontline? If so, these products can leave a nasty taste on the fur for a while. Similarly, if you have a flea collar on him this could cause these symptoms.

I really don't think it's from the plants or tomatoes in your yard.

I'm wondering if it some sort of seizure? When it is happening again it would be a great idea to videotape the incident and then show it to your vet. Your vet can help you determine if it seems like a strange type of seizure.

Another possibility, although not common is something called a liver shunt. Cats who have a liver shunt can do more drooling than usual and can have unusual neurological symptoms. It can sometimes be hard to diagnose as sometimes bloodwork is normal. A liver shunt is a serious problem so hopefully that is not what is going on.

I wish I had more answers for you...it's an unusual situation!

Dr.Marie.

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (9336 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (55555 views)

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (5184 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (16296 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (5493 views)

Ear problems. Charlie has possibly caught ear mites. He his continuously scratching for minutes... (8863 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (8699 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (12056 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (6825 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (22205 views)