Red swollen paw.

Breed: unknown
My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be separating. There is also some irritation on the bottom of the paw. I can't tell if it was an injury or some kind of disease. I have been putting peroxide on it daily. She is an indoor cat. I have photos.

Sorry to hear that Gruden is having this problem.

Most of the time if a cat's foot is swollen and red it is because of an infection. Does she go outside at all? Do you have another cat? If so, it is possible that she has been bitten by another cat. Or, she could possibly have a foreign object like a piece of glass or a splinter stuck in her foot.

Peroxide is helpful to clean a dirty wound but should not be used regularly. It will actually slow down healing.

This may sound silly, but check closely up the entire leg. I have seen cats who have a swollen foot because a child put an elastic band on the leg. It can often be hard to see.

It's also possible that a nail has grown around and is penetrating the skin.

It may help a little bit to fill a bowl with warm water and epsom salts and soak the foot regularly. However, if there is an infection then she will definitely need to see the vet in order to get antibiotics.

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (12090 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (23868 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (7286 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (8590 views)

Gradual change of food? Hello, I reside in South Korea and I am the father of 3 cocker spaniels. Recently... (6910 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (9252 views)

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (7069 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (4814 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (5599 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (6929 views)