Red swollen paw.

Breed: unknown
My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be separating. There is also some irritation on the bottom of the paw. I can't tell if it was an injury or some kind of disease. I have been putting peroxide on it daily. She is an indoor cat. I have photos.

Sorry to hear that Gruden is having this problem.

Most of the time if a cat's foot is swollen and red it is because of an infection. Does she go outside at all? Do you have another cat? If so, it is possible that she has been bitten by another cat. Or, she could possibly have a foreign object like a piece of glass or a splinter stuck in her foot.

Peroxide is helpful to clean a dirty wound but should not be used regularly. It will actually slow down healing.

This may sound silly, but check closely up the entire leg. I have seen cats who have a swollen foot because a child put an elastic band on the leg. It can often be hard to see.

It's also possible that a nail has grown around and is penetrating the skin.

It may help a little bit to fill a bowl with warm water and epsom salts and soak the foot regularly. However, if there is an infection then she will definitely need to see the vet in order to get antibiotics.

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (6021 views)

Puppy vaccinations. I have a new puppy. I was given his vaccination record (number of... (5071 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (22769 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (44949 views)

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (33930 views)

Possible seizures? Our cat, Teddy, started having episodes of rigid front legs, swaying, and staggering... (7797 views)

Ringworm treatment in cat. First, thank you for your previous help with my questions. I have 2 issues with... (17789 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (11820 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (15606 views)

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (61104 views)