Red swollen paw.

Breed: unknown
My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be separating. There is also some irritation on the bottom of the paw. I can't tell if it was an injury or some kind of disease. I have been putting peroxide on it daily. She is an indoor cat. I have photos.

Sorry to hear that Gruden is having this problem.

Most of the time if a cat's foot is swollen and red it is because of an infection. Does she go outside at all? Do you have another cat? If so, it is possible that she has been bitten by another cat. Or, she could possibly have a foreign object like a piece of glass or a splinter stuck in her foot.

Peroxide is helpful to clean a dirty wound but should not be used regularly. It will actually slow down healing.

This may sound silly, but check closely up the entire leg. I have seen cats who have a swollen foot because a child put an elastic band on the leg. It can often be hard to see.

It's also possible that a nail has grown around and is penetrating the skin.

It may help a little bit to fill a bowl with warm water and epsom salts and soak the foot regularly. However, if there is an infection then she will definitely need to see the vet in order to get antibiotics.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (21107 views)

Dog diarrhea problems. Hi Dr, This is an update to a previous question. Max is over 10 wks old now... (29195 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (15434 views)

Large abdomen in cat. We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly... (9727 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (6050 views)

Is Okra toxic to dogs? Without thinking, I gave my dog a small amount (appx 1/4 cup) of oven fried... (53313 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (10029 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (11064 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (5164 views)

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (6583 views)