Red swollen paw.

Breed: unknown
My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be separating. There is also some irritation on the bottom of the paw. I can't tell if it was an injury or some kind of disease. I have been putting peroxide on it daily. She is an indoor cat. I have photos.

Sorry to hear that Gruden is having this problem.

Most of the time if a cat's foot is swollen and red it is because of an infection. Does she go outside at all? Do you have another cat? If so, it is possible that she has been bitten by another cat. Or, she could possibly have a foreign object like a piece of glass or a splinter stuck in her foot.

Peroxide is helpful to clean a dirty wound but should not be used regularly. It will actually slow down healing.

This may sound silly, but check closely up the entire leg. I have seen cats who have a swollen foot because a child put an elastic band on the leg. It can often be hard to see.

It's also possible that a nail has grown around and is penetrating the skin.

It may help a little bit to fill a bowl with warm water and epsom salts and soak the foot regularly. However, if there is an infection then she will definitely need to see the vet in order to get antibiotics.

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (10658 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (16404 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (9908 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (23495 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (9822 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (12442 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (7781 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (12003 views)

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (8122 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (10927 views)