Red swollen paw.

Breed: unknown
My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be separating. There is also some irritation on the bottom of the paw. I can't tell if it was an injury or some kind of disease. I have been putting peroxide on it daily. She is an indoor cat. I have photos.

Sorry to hear that Gruden is having this problem.

Most of the time if a cat's foot is swollen and red it is because of an infection. Does she go outside at all? Do you have another cat? If so, it is possible that she has been bitten by another cat. Or, she could possibly have a foreign object like a piece of glass or a splinter stuck in her foot.

Peroxide is helpful to clean a dirty wound but should not be used regularly. It will actually slow down healing.

This may sound silly, but check closely up the entire leg. I have seen cats who have a swollen foot because a child put an elastic band on the leg. It can often be hard to see.

It's also possible that a nail has grown around and is penetrating the skin.

It may help a little bit to fill a bowl with warm water and epsom salts and soak the foot regularly. However, if there is an infection then she will definitely need to see the vet in order to get antibiotics.

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (8390 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (7635 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (7062 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (11943 views)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (3920 views)

Bump on ribcage. Hello, I noticed today that the kitten has a hard bone like rounded bump right where... (12217 views)

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (18913 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (10651 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (10237 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (7677 views)