Red swollen paw.

Breed: unknown
My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be separating. There is also some irritation on the bottom of the paw. I can't tell if it was an injury or some kind of disease. I have been putting peroxide on it daily. She is an indoor cat. I have photos.

Sorry to hear that Gruden is having this problem.

Most of the time if a cat's foot is swollen and red it is because of an infection. Does she go outside at all? Do you have another cat? If so, it is possible that she has been bitten by another cat. Or, she could possibly have a foreign object like a piece of glass or a splinter stuck in her foot.

Peroxide is helpful to clean a dirty wound but should not be used regularly. It will actually slow down healing.

This may sound silly, but check closely up the entire leg. I have seen cats who have a swollen foot because a child put an elastic band on the leg. It can often be hard to see.

It's also possible that a nail has grown around and is penetrating the skin.

It may help a little bit to fill a bowl with warm water and epsom salts and soak the foot regularly. However, if there is an infection then she will definitely need to see the vet in order to get antibiotics.

Blood in urine. I have taken my dog to 2 vets, and had numerous tests. I noticed she was peeing... (3859 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (84824 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (5747 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (8630 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (56530 views)

Gradual change of food? Hello, I reside in South Korea and I am the father of 3 cocker spaniels. Recently... (7168 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (18927 views)

Won't eat kidney diet. My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both... (12032 views)

Small Russian Blue Cat. I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6... (8451 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (17067 views)