Healthy cat died suddenly.

Breed: Tabby
Why did my cat die?

I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I was hoping you might be able to help me figure out what happened. He was on my bed and under my covers (he crawls under there sometimes). His legs were outstretched in a normal sleeping pose. One eye was closed, the other partially open. Pupils dilated, mouth closed. The sheets were soaked with urine which I guess he passed when he died.

This morning he was acting perfectly normal and there was no indication that anything was wrong. The only health problem he's ever had is that he can sometimes throw up several times in a row, but this only happens about twice a month. Vet looked at him and thought it might be allergies and gave him a steroid shot. This was about 4 months ago.

He's an indoor cat, in case that matters. He was a little overweight at 18 lbs. Had some anxiety issues, too. That's about all I can think of. Oh and I don't think there were any sources of poison he could have come into contact with. I take paroxetine 25mg. I suppose it's possible I dropped one which he ate, but that seems unlikely.

Thanks for the help,

John

Oh, I am sorry to hear that this happened. How traumatic this must have been!

By far the most common reason for an apparently healthy cat to die suddenly would be a heart condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. When cats have this heart condition there are often no external signs. Some cats might have a heart murmur that the vet can hear, but many are completely healthy on outward appearances.

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy causes the walls of the heart to be very thick and can cause a cat to die suddenly.

You're right, the dilated pupils and emptied bladder don't really tell us much and likely happened because of the death process.

The only other thing that I could think of would be if he chewed on an electrical cord and had a sudden electrocution but this seems unlikely.

I wish I could give you more answers. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I just saw your additional question. I'll put it here so that everything is in one place:

Update on Simon -

I had the vet perform a necropsy. She couldn't find anything that was obviously wrong. No heartworm, no visible heart problems, no signs of cancer, no fluid in the lungs, no obstructions. She didn't check the brain.

So what's most likely? Some kind of blood clot or aneurysm maybe?

Cases like this are so tough. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy still is a possibility. While some cats with this condition have very obvious issues with the heart that can be seen on post mortem, sometimes only a pathologist can make the diagnosis.

There really isn't a brain issue that I can think of that would cause sudden death.

Unfortunately I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you. But, I would say that by far the most likely possibility is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (14912 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (21772 views)

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (52190 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (5623 views)

Dogs eyes are lazy. Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they... (86484 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (8318 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (14822 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (11486 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (8121 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (30809 views)