Healthy cat died suddenly.

Breed: Tabby
Why did my cat die?

I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I was hoping you might be able to help me figure out what happened. He was on my bed and under my covers (he crawls under there sometimes). His legs were outstretched in a normal sleeping pose. One eye was closed, the other partially open. Pupils dilated, mouth closed. The sheets were soaked with urine which I guess he passed when he died.

This morning he was acting perfectly normal and there was no indication that anything was wrong. The only health problem he's ever had is that he can sometimes throw up several times in a row, but this only happens about twice a month. Vet looked at him and thought it might be allergies and gave him a steroid shot. This was about 4 months ago.

He's an indoor cat, in case that matters. He was a little overweight at 18 lbs. Had some anxiety issues, too. That's about all I can think of. Oh and I don't think there were any sources of poison he could have come into contact with. I take paroxetine 25mg. I suppose it's possible I dropped one which he ate, but that seems unlikely.

Thanks for the help,

John

Oh, I am sorry to hear that this happened. How traumatic this must have been!

By far the most common reason for an apparently healthy cat to die suddenly would be a heart condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. When cats have this heart condition there are often no external signs. Some cats might have a heart murmur that the vet can hear, but many are completely healthy on outward appearances.

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy causes the walls of the heart to be very thick and can cause a cat to die suddenly.

You're right, the dilated pupils and emptied bladder don't really tell us much and likely happened because of the death process.

The only other thing that I could think of would be if he chewed on an electrical cord and had a sudden electrocution but this seems unlikely.

I wish I could give you more answers. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I just saw your additional question. I'll put it here so that everything is in one place:

Update on Simon -

I had the vet perform a necropsy. She couldn't find anything that was obviously wrong. No heartworm, no visible heart problems, no signs of cancer, no fluid in the lungs, no obstructions. She didn't check the brain.

So what's most likely? Some kind of blood clot or aneurysm maybe?

Cases like this are so tough. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy still is a possibility. While some cats with this condition have very obvious issues with the heart that can be seen on post mortem, sometimes only a pathologist can make the diagnosis.

There really isn't a brain issue that I can think of that would cause sudden death.

Unfortunately I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you. But, I would say that by far the most likely possibility is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (20248 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (12629 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (20279 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (4679 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (32479 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (7845 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (10832 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (35829 views)

Kitten is bleeding from vagina. since ive got my kitten she has been crying alot, ive noticed her bleeding aswell... (14055 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (20094 views)