Vomiting 3 times per day.

Breed: Lhasa Apso
My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a little bit. What should I do?

Hi Joan! Thanks so much for using www.askavetquestion.com!!!

There are many different causes for vomiting. The most common cause is a gastritis/enteritis which is an upset intestinal tract usually resulting from a change in food or eating a new type of treat or table food.

The next possibility is that your dog has pancreatitis. It causes vomiting and sometimes diarrhea. Usually the front of the abdomen (just behind the ribs) is extremely painful in pancreatitis. The treatment for this disease is hospitalization with IV fluids and pain and anti-vomiting medicines.

The next possiblity is that your dog has swallowed an object that she shouldn't have causing an intestinal or stomach obstruction.

If your dog is not vaccinated, another possibility is parvo virus. This is more common in puppies, but can happen at any age. It usually causes great amounts of bloody diarrhea and vomiting.

It is also possible that your dog has a problem with her liver or kidneys as well which is a serious matter.
If your dog is still fairly bright and alert then you do not need to rush her in to the vet right away. You can try fasting her for 12-24 hours and then feeding a small amount of cooked chicken and rice. If she keeps this down then feed her this for a couple of days and then gradually mix in her regular food.

Some dogs with mild stomach upset will benefit from pepcid. If you would like to try this there is information on pros and cons and dosing found here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

If she is not bright then you can try giving her a small amount of "pedialyte" to get her through tonight and she should be seen in the morning. If you think she is extremely uncomfortable then an emergency visit is in order.

Hope she does oK!

Thanks so much! Where do I get the "pepcid"?

"Pepcid" can be bought at any pharmacy over the counter.

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (8232 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (8581 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (5444 views)

Brown bugs over top of tail. Dear Dr. Marie: I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF... (10682 views)

Pug died after pooping blood. my female pug passed away between 4:00A.M. & 8:00 A.m. yesterday. She had never... (55559 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (24615 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (5239 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (14263 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (8326 views)

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (109998 views)