Dog's eye is closed.

Breed: cavalier king charle
My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was shaking his toy around he ran into the corner of a wooden post. He gave it a good knock but he just seemed to shake his head and walked off.
An hour later we noticed that his left eye is red and he keeps shutting it.
I've tried ringing my local vet (and others) but they are closed (being xmas holidays).

I think his eye my be abit swallon from the knock as I don't think he has something in his eye as I think he would be scratching his eye if there was something in it. I have him in his bed just resting at the moment.

Do I put a cold press on his eye or just leave it? The vets arn't open until the 2nd of jan so in 2 days time so I will get him checked out then I'm just not sure what to do in the interim?

My dog is 11 months of age

Sorry to hear that your dog may have hurt himself! This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine him as there could be a few possibilities.

It certainly is possible that he has just bruised himself and that it will take a day or two for the swelling to go down. But, I do get concerned when I see a dog keeping their eye closed. My concern is that there could be a scratch on the eye. A corneal scratch is a serious thing. You won't always see a dog scratching at the eye if there is a scratch there. Closing the eye is enough evidence that it is bothersome.

At this point, if you have not seen significant improvement then I would highly recommend having an emergency visit if you can get one. While it is possible that there is nothing serious going on, if there is actually a scratch there then it needs to be addressed very quickly.

If things seem to have improved somewhat since you posted your question then there is no harm in putting a cold compress (i.e. frozen peas) on the side of the eye if he will allow it. This will help with swelling. But, if there has been no improvement then it's best to be safe than sorry and have a vet take a look.

Hope things are ok!

Is this a flea problem? My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We... (9348 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (14795 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (10806 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (6441 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (26383 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (10919 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (26578 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (9447 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (10848 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (7552 views)