Dog's eye is closed.

Breed: cavalier king charle
My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was shaking his toy around he ran into the corner of a wooden post. He gave it a good knock but he just seemed to shake his head and walked off.
An hour later we noticed that his left eye is red and he keeps shutting it.
I've tried ringing my local vet (and others) but they are closed (being xmas holidays).

I think his eye my be abit swallon from the knock as I don't think he has something in his eye as I think he would be scratching his eye if there was something in it. I have him in his bed just resting at the moment.

Do I put a cold press on his eye or just leave it? The vets arn't open until the 2nd of jan so in 2 days time so I will get him checked out then I'm just not sure what to do in the interim?

My dog is 11 months of age

Sorry to hear that your dog may have hurt himself! This is a tough question to answer without being able to examine him as there could be a few possibilities.

It certainly is possible that he has just bruised himself and that it will take a day or two for the swelling to go down. But, I do get concerned when I see a dog keeping their eye closed. My concern is that there could be a scratch on the eye. A corneal scratch is a serious thing. You won't always see a dog scratching at the eye if there is a scratch there. Closing the eye is enough evidence that it is bothersome.

At this point, if you have not seen significant improvement then I would highly recommend having an emergency visit if you can get one. While it is possible that there is nothing serious going on, if there is actually a scratch there then it needs to be addressed very quickly.

If things seem to have improved somewhat since you posted your question then there is no harm in putting a cold compress (i.e. frozen peas) on the side of the eye if he will allow it. This will help with swelling. But, if there has been no improvement then it's best to be safe than sorry and have a vet take a look.

Hope things are ok!

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (13461 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (13003 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (20073 views)

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (27492 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (10962 views)

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (7453 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (17217 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (18887 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (6040 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (11507 views)