Puppy chewing legs and licking penis

Breed: Border Collie
Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs, constantly.
I took him to class Thrusday and the trainer mentioned allergies or it could be behavior issues. He has an apt May 9 but should I take him sooner.

Sorry to hear that your little guy is chewing on himself so much. He sounds really uncomfortable.

Normally I would say that allergies are the main thing that would cause a dog to do this. Allergies often cause dogs to chew at themselves, especially on their legs. (But not so commonly on their penis.)

However, allergies are not super common in a puppy. You mentioned that your dog is 3-6 months old. It really is not that common for a puppy that young to have allergies. It's not impossible, but I am betting there is another cause.

The most common reason for a puppy to be itchy like this would be fleas. It's not always easy to see the fleas. You can read more information here on checking for fleas as well as treatment.

Another possibility is sarcoptic mange. This can cause very itchy legs and usually causes itchy ears and elbows as well. But again, it doesn't account for the penis being itchy. This is something you would need to see your vet to get a diagnosis for.

I have seen some puppies that have compulsive behaviors that cause non-stop chewing and licking of the penis.

But, with all of this said, I think that the most likely cause is fleas and the second most likely is allergies.

I would actually recommend that you see your vet sooner than May 9 if possible. If it's fleas you want to get on top of things before they get worse. The flea products in the store don't tend to work well, so you'll want to get a prescription product. If it is allergies then your vet can prescribe medication to help.

Hope things work out ok!

He take flea stuff provided by the vet. It's not fleas.
Can he have a nervose habit of chewing.

This is certainly possible. However, I can't recall ever treating a dog this young for obsessive grooming due to a behaviour problem.

Your vet may decide to try a hypoallergenic food trial. Again, allergies are not common at this age, but if they are present, food allergies tend to be more common than environmental allergies.

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (4331 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (12573 views)

Best cloth bedding for guinea pigs. I wanted to make a new bed for my guinea pig's house (her "nest"). Are there any... (7294 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (10907 views)

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (8878 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (29745 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (10721 views)

Great Dane footpad problems. I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her... (10617 views)

Cavalier screaming in pain. Hi there, since last Thursday my puppy having very strange moment and I went to my... (33654 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (8608 views)