Puppy chewing legs and licking penis

Breed: Border Collie
Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs, constantly.
I took him to class Thrusday and the trainer mentioned allergies or it could be behavior issues. He has an apt May 9 but should I take him sooner.

Sorry to hear that your little guy is chewing on himself so much. He sounds really uncomfortable.

Normally I would say that allergies are the main thing that would cause a dog to do this. Allergies often cause dogs to chew at themselves, especially on their legs. (But not so commonly on their penis.)

However, allergies are not super common in a puppy. You mentioned that your dog is 3-6 months old. It really is not that common for a puppy that young to have allergies. It's not impossible, but I am betting there is another cause.

The most common reason for a puppy to be itchy like this would be fleas. It's not always easy to see the fleas. You can read more information here on checking for fleas as well as treatment.

Another possibility is sarcoptic mange. This can cause very itchy legs and usually causes itchy ears and elbows as well. But again, it doesn't account for the penis being itchy. This is something you would need to see your vet to get a diagnosis for.

I have seen some puppies that have compulsive behaviors that cause non-stop chewing and licking of the penis.

But, with all of this said, I think that the most likely cause is fleas and the second most likely is allergies.

I would actually recommend that you see your vet sooner than May 9 if possible. If it's fleas you want to get on top of things before they get worse. The flea products in the store don't tend to work well, so you'll want to get a prescription product. If it is allergies then your vet can prescribe medication to help.

Hope things work out ok!

He take flea stuff provided by the vet. It's not fleas.
Can he have a nervose habit of chewing.

This is certainly possible. However, I can't recall ever treating a dog this young for obsessive grooming due to a behaviour problem.

Your vet may decide to try a hypoallergenic food trial. Again, allergies are not common at this age, but if they are present, food allergies tend to be more common than environmental allergies.

Dog won't eat. well dr my dog he always wants to go outside and doesnt want to eat his food and we... (11447 views)

Paying for megacolon surgery. hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be... (8332 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (17619 views)

Hartz and Advantage. I gave my cat Hartz one spot flea treatment and it doesnt work grrrr, i gave it on... (9995 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (17873 views)

Trifexis side effects I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three... (7276 views)

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (24447 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (5167 views)

Lump near penis. I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he... (9274 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (9799 views)