Male cat has large breasts.

Breed: Tabby
Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly enlarged breasts - the two just in the area of his hind legs. The nipples are visible through his fur, though they have healthy color, and don't appear enlarged, though I've never seen them in the past. Also, though there's no loss of fur, you can see his skin color through the fur in that area. I feel no masses in the abdomen, and he enjoys being touched. His energy, and appetite are good. This seems so out of the ordinary though. Is this something to be concerned about? We have not switched food or treats. The only thing new since his last vet visit in March is that we use Enzadent toothpaste. He had a teeth cleaning at the vet's office on 3/31/10. Thank you for your help.

Please excuse my entering this question twice. I misunderstood the order when making a payment.

Thanks for an interesting question!

Although I can't say for sure, it sounds like what you are describing is a normal fat pad on the abdomen of a cat. I often get asked about this area on a cat and whether or not it is something to worry about.

If it is a fat pad, then there really is nothing to be concerned about.

Usually if there is a tumor in the mammary glands the skin will be red, inflamed and generally ugly looking. This doesn't sound like a tumor.

One other thing that can cause mammary glands to be enlarged on a cat (or a dog) is contact with hormone cream. It has been shown that people who use hormone creams (such as estrogen cream) and then handle their pets can transfer some of the hormones to the pet and cause mammary enlargement. However, if this were the case in your cat I would expect all of the mammary glands to be enlarged.

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (9622 views)

Paying for megacolon surgery. hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be... (9187 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (18724 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (12233 views)

Increase dog's phenobarb? Hi Marie, My 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier has been a seizure dog for about 4... (18521 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (10999 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (12462 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (13178 views)

Lipoma on a dog. Hi Dr. Laurie, You gave me such great advice on my cat Bobo, I'm writing about my... (7110 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (21134 views)