Male cat has large breasts.

Breed: Tabby
Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly enlarged breasts - the two just in the area of his hind legs. The nipples are visible through his fur, though they have healthy color, and don't appear enlarged, though I've never seen them in the past. Also, though there's no loss of fur, you can see his skin color through the fur in that area. I feel no masses in the abdomen, and he enjoys being touched. His energy, and appetite are good. This seems so out of the ordinary though. Is this something to be concerned about? We have not switched food or treats. The only thing new since his last vet visit in March is that we use Enzadent toothpaste. He had a teeth cleaning at the vet's office on 3/31/10. Thank you for your help.

Please excuse my entering this question twice. I misunderstood the order when making a payment.

Thanks for an interesting question!

Although I can't say for sure, it sounds like what you are describing is a normal fat pad on the abdomen of a cat. I often get asked about this area on a cat and whether or not it is something to worry about.

If it is a fat pad, then there really is nothing to be concerned about.

Usually if there is a tumor in the mammary glands the skin will be red, inflamed and generally ugly looking. This doesn't sound like a tumor.

One other thing that can cause mammary glands to be enlarged on a cat (or a dog) is contact with hormone cream. It has been shown that people who use hormone creams (such as estrogen cream) and then handle their pets can transfer some of the hormones to the pet and cause mammary enlargement. However, if this were the case in your cat I would expect all of the mammary glands to be enlarged.

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5494 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (19665 views)

Aggressive with food. Dear Dr. Marie: My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've... (4831 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (5470 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (7748 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (12970 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (5211 views)

Swollen gums in dog. in end june of 2009 , gingivitus like symptoms appeared in my dog . the vet did... (19898 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (18748 views)

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (6719 views)