Male cat has large breasts.

Breed: Tabby
Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly enlarged breasts - the two just in the area of his hind legs. The nipples are visible through his fur, though they have healthy color, and don't appear enlarged, though I've never seen them in the past. Also, though there's no loss of fur, you can see his skin color through the fur in that area. I feel no masses in the abdomen, and he enjoys being touched. His energy, and appetite are good. This seems so out of the ordinary though. Is this something to be concerned about? We have not switched food or treats. The only thing new since his last vet visit in March is that we use Enzadent toothpaste. He had a teeth cleaning at the vet's office on 3/31/10. Thank you for your help.

Please excuse my entering this question twice. I misunderstood the order when making a payment.

Thanks for an interesting question!

Although I can't say for sure, it sounds like what you are describing is a normal fat pad on the abdomen of a cat. I often get asked about this area on a cat and whether or not it is something to worry about.

If it is a fat pad, then there really is nothing to be concerned about.

Usually if there is a tumor in the mammary glands the skin will be red, inflamed and generally ugly looking. This doesn't sound like a tumor.

One other thing that can cause mammary glands to be enlarged on a cat (or a dog) is contact with hormone cream. It has been shown that people who use hormone creams (such as estrogen cream) and then handle their pets can transfer some of the hormones to the pet and cause mammary enlargement. However, if this were the case in your cat I would expect all of the mammary glands to be enlarged.

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (11338 views)

Repeat of parvo? my 3 puppies got parvo last week (6/29/2010)they were only 3 months old and they all... (26832 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (9955 views)

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (31943 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (29257 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (20944 views)

Itchy on back. max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to... (12335 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (13053 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (15244 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (49481 views)