Male cat has large breasts.

Breed: Tabby
Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly enlarged breasts - the two just in the area of his hind legs. The nipples are visible through his fur, though they have healthy color, and don't appear enlarged, though I've never seen them in the past. Also, though there's no loss of fur, you can see his skin color through the fur in that area. I feel no masses in the abdomen, and he enjoys being touched. His energy, and appetite are good. This seems so out of the ordinary though. Is this something to be concerned about? We have not switched food or treats. The only thing new since his last vet visit in March is that we use Enzadent toothpaste. He had a teeth cleaning at the vet's office on 3/31/10. Thank you for your help.

Please excuse my entering this question twice. I misunderstood the order when making a payment.

Thanks for an interesting question!

Although I can't say for sure, it sounds like what you are describing is a normal fat pad on the abdomen of a cat. I often get asked about this area on a cat and whether or not it is something to worry about.

If it is a fat pad, then there really is nothing to be concerned about.

Usually if there is a tumor in the mammary glands the skin will be red, inflamed and generally ugly looking. This doesn't sound like a tumor.

One other thing that can cause mammary glands to be enlarged on a cat (or a dog) is contact with hormone cream. It has been shown that people who use hormone creams (such as estrogen cream) and then handle their pets can transfer some of the hormones to the pet and cause mammary enlargement. However, if this were the case in your cat I would expect all of the mammary glands to be enlarged.

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (14674 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (8636 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (14419 views)

Is my hamster dead? My hamster isn't moving like he used too. His eyes are always opened and he isn't... (13894 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (7912 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (7240 views)

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (14910 views)

Wobbly drooling kitten. I have a 6 month old tabby and a few days ago he started walking almost bow legged... (12297 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (36385 views)

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (13329 views)