Male cat has large breasts.

Breed: Tabby
Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly enlarged breasts - the two just in the area of his hind legs. The nipples are visible through his fur, though they have healthy color, and don't appear enlarged, though I've never seen them in the past. Also, though there's no loss of fur, you can see his skin color through the fur in that area. I feel no masses in the abdomen, and he enjoys being touched. His energy, and appetite are good. This seems so out of the ordinary though. Is this something to be concerned about? We have not switched food or treats. The only thing new since his last vet visit in March is that we use Enzadent toothpaste. He had a teeth cleaning at the vet's office on 3/31/10. Thank you for your help.

Please excuse my entering this question twice. I misunderstood the order when making a payment.

Thanks for an interesting question!

Although I can't say for sure, it sounds like what you are describing is a normal fat pad on the abdomen of a cat. I often get asked about this area on a cat and whether or not it is something to worry about.

If it is a fat pad, then there really is nothing to be concerned about.

Usually if there is a tumor in the mammary glands the skin will be red, inflamed and generally ugly looking. This doesn't sound like a tumor.

One other thing that can cause mammary glands to be enlarged on a cat (or a dog) is contact with hormone cream. It has been shown that people who use hormone creams (such as estrogen cream) and then handle their pets can transfer some of the hormones to the pet and cause mammary enlargement. However, if this were the case in your cat I would expect all of the mammary glands to be enlarged.

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (6240 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (5148 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (19277 views)

Swollen neck on cat. My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has... (26976 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (18594 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (16079 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (12089 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (34091 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (15002 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (19142 views)