Surgery or rest for CCL tear.

Breed: butterfly
Dear Dr. Marie,
My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in those two days. He said her tendon of the right back leg is broken. We're now giving her some pills about diminish inflammation and joint. The vet said we could arrange a surgery for her or just do a conservative treatment. I don't know which is is better for her and will my dog recover better if we choose the surgery?
Thank you!
Shirley

This is a tough question to answer without knowing exactly what injury Ting Ting has.

I am assuming, however, that what you are asking about is a torn cranial cruciate ligament. This is the ligament in the knee of the dog and is the same thing as an ACL tear.

In small dogs we will often give people the choice of surgery vs rest to repair a torn acl. (For large dogs, rest just doesn't work well.)

However, given the choice, in my opinion, surgery is almost always the best option. We know that some small dogs who don't have surgery will end up making enough scar tissue to have a relatively normal joint. But, not all dogs do. These days with the surgical techniques we have, Ting Ting would have a much better chance at a full recovery with having surgery.

When I have a case like this, usually what I do is put the dog on some anti-inflammatory medication for a few weeks and gauge the response. Sometimes what we think is a CCL tear is just a partial tear and if a dog is mostly back to normal in a few weeks then there is no need for surgery. But, if there has not been much improvement then surgery is the best bet.

I hope all goes well!

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (14824 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (39807 views)

Antibiotics for pyometra? my dog has pyometra what are the chances with survival after antibotic injection... (8864 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (56265 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (31349 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (4682 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (20214 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (4731 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (89452 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (8807 views)