Surgery or rest for CCL tear.

Breed: butterfly
Dear Dr. Marie,
My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in those two days. He said her tendon of the right back leg is broken. We're now giving her some pills about diminish inflammation and joint. The vet said we could arrange a surgery for her or just do a conservative treatment. I don't know which is is better for her and will my dog recover better if we choose the surgery?
Thank you!
Shirley

This is a tough question to answer without knowing exactly what injury Ting Ting has.

I am assuming, however, that what you are asking about is a torn cranial cruciate ligament. This is the ligament in the knee of the dog and is the same thing as an ACL tear.

In small dogs we will often give people the choice of surgery vs rest to repair a torn acl. (For large dogs, rest just doesn't work well.)

However, given the choice, in my opinion, surgery is almost always the best option. We know that some small dogs who don't have surgery will end up making enough scar tissue to have a relatively normal joint. But, not all dogs do. These days with the surgical techniques we have, Ting Ting would have a much better chance at a full recovery with having surgery.

When I have a case like this, usually what I do is put the dog on some anti-inflammatory medication for a few weeks and gauge the response. Sometimes what we think is a CCL tear is just a partial tear and if a dog is mostly back to normal in a few weeks then there is no need for surgery. But, if there has not been much improvement then surgery is the best bet.

I hope all goes well!

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (17757 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (27246 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (70051 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (90910 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (17134 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (27744 views)

Vet drained cyst. A few months back my dog developed a blocked sweat gland. My former vet basically... (9613 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (23261 views)

Will mating kill my dog? i have had my dog for 2 weeks an she has just mated with my brothers dog but the... (10285 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (13222 views)