Surgery or rest for CCL tear.

Breed: butterfly
Dear Dr. Marie,
My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in those two days. He said her tendon of the right back leg is broken. We're now giving her some pills about diminish inflammation and joint. The vet said we could arrange a surgery for her or just do a conservative treatment. I don't know which is is better for her and will my dog recover better if we choose the surgery?
Thank you!
Shirley

This is a tough question to answer without knowing exactly what injury Ting Ting has.

I am assuming, however, that what you are asking about is a torn cranial cruciate ligament. This is the ligament in the knee of the dog and is the same thing as an ACL tear.

In small dogs we will often give people the choice of surgery vs rest to repair a torn acl. (For large dogs, rest just doesn't work well.)

However, given the choice, in my opinion, surgery is almost always the best option. We know that some small dogs who don't have surgery will end up making enough scar tissue to have a relatively normal joint. But, not all dogs do. These days with the surgical techniques we have, Ting Ting would have a much better chance at a full recovery with having surgery.

When I have a case like this, usually what I do is put the dog on some anti-inflammatory medication for a few weeks and gauge the response. Sometimes what we think is a CCL tear is just a partial tear and if a dog is mostly back to normal in a few weeks then there is no need for surgery. But, if there has not been much improvement then surgery is the best bet.

I hope all goes well!

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (9702 views)

Black sore near anus. Hello Dr.Marie (I am SO grateful for you!), I have had my two dogs (same breeder)... (46969 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (11281 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (14313 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (49507 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (14623 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (9857 views)

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (16473 views)

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (9782 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (9147 views)