Diarrhea and vomiting.

Breed: Tortoisesshell
My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My new Vet as taken tests and her blood work came back showing her kidneys are starting to get a little weak. He is giving her fluids twice a week by IV to help with that, However she still has the diarrhea and vomiting. Has has tried a couple of different types medications that have not worked and the I/D and K/D foods he prescribed she won't touch. Is there anything over the counter I might be able try?
Thanks

It can definitely be frustrating dealing with a cat with vomiting and diarrhea as there are so many possible causes.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that would be likely to be helpful, especially if the vet's medicines didn't work.

There are a few things I can think of that may help. You can ask your vet about the possibility of inflammatory bowel disease. It can be hard to diagnose as we need to take biopsies of the bowel to do so. However, if I am really suspicious of inflammatory bowel disease then I will often prescribe some prednisone which often does a really good job. However, this will be a tough call for Indy because the prednisone could be a little tough on the kidneys. In cases like this I will sometimes use a medication called budesonide.

Another possible reason for an older cat to be vomiting and have diarrhea is some type of cancer. An intestinal or stomach or pancreatic cancer could do this. Your vet may be able to determine this with xrays but sometimes an ultrasound is needed. Unfortunately we don't have treatments for most of these cancers.

Has she been on metronidazole? This is a good drug to help with inflammation in the intestines.

Has she had any cernia? This is often good to help stop vomiting.

Feel free to write back and let me know what medications she has been on and I'll give you my input.

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (15051 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (12219 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (7644 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (8240 views)

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (8842 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (27383 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (8542 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (12628 views)

67 days pregnant. Dog is 67 days pregnant no sign of labor how much longer should i wait before taking... (11201 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (9023 views)