Diarrhea and vomiting.

Breed: Tortoisesshell
My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My new Vet as taken tests and her blood work came back showing her kidneys are starting to get a little weak. He is giving her fluids twice a week by IV to help with that, However she still has the diarrhea and vomiting. Has has tried a couple of different types medications that have not worked and the I/D and K/D foods he prescribed she won't touch. Is there anything over the counter I might be able try?
Thanks

It can definitely be frustrating dealing with a cat with vomiting and diarrhea as there are so many possible causes.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that would be likely to be helpful, especially if the vet's medicines didn't work.

There are a few things I can think of that may help. You can ask your vet about the possibility of inflammatory bowel disease. It can be hard to diagnose as we need to take biopsies of the bowel to do so. However, if I am really suspicious of inflammatory bowel disease then I will often prescribe some prednisone which often does a really good job. However, this will be a tough call for Indy because the prednisone could be a little tough on the kidneys. In cases like this I will sometimes use a medication called budesonide.

Another possible reason for an older cat to be vomiting and have diarrhea is some type of cancer. An intestinal or stomach or pancreatic cancer could do this. Your vet may be able to determine this with xrays but sometimes an ultrasound is needed. Unfortunately we don't have treatments for most of these cancers.

Has she been on metronidazole? This is a good drug to help with inflammation in the intestines.

Has she had any cernia? This is often good to help stop vomiting.

Feel free to write back and let me know what medications she has been on and I'll give you my input.

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (11211 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (14569 views)

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (7727 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (12171 views)

Does Hartz kill roundworms? well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or... (12457 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (18587 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (31102 views)

White spot on eye. My cat has a greyish white spot on surface of her eye. It is not in the iris nor is... (54293 views)

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (10580 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (28342 views)