Diarrhea and vomiting.

Breed: Tortoisesshell
My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My new Vet as taken tests and her blood work came back showing her kidneys are starting to get a little weak. He is giving her fluids twice a week by IV to help with that, However she still has the diarrhea and vomiting. Has has tried a couple of different types medications that have not worked and the I/D and K/D foods he prescribed she won't touch. Is there anything over the counter I might be able try?
Thanks

It can definitely be frustrating dealing with a cat with vomiting and diarrhea as there are so many possible causes.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that would be likely to be helpful, especially if the vet's medicines didn't work.

There are a few things I can think of that may help. You can ask your vet about the possibility of inflammatory bowel disease. It can be hard to diagnose as we need to take biopsies of the bowel to do so. However, if I am really suspicious of inflammatory bowel disease then I will often prescribe some prednisone which often does a really good job. However, this will be a tough call for Indy because the prednisone could be a little tough on the kidneys. In cases like this I will sometimes use a medication called budesonide.

Another possible reason for an older cat to be vomiting and have diarrhea is some type of cancer. An intestinal or stomach or pancreatic cancer could do this. Your vet may be able to determine this with xrays but sometimes an ultrasound is needed. Unfortunately we don't have treatments for most of these cancers.

Has she been on metronidazole? This is a good drug to help with inflammation in the intestines.

Has she had any cernia? This is often good to help stop vomiting.

Feel free to write back and let me know what medications she has been on and I'll give you my input.

Losing weight and hungry. My dog Knock has lost a lot of weight, he currently weighs about thirty pounds and... (15140 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (24989 views)

Lump on dog's neck. Hi Dr Marie We have a 4 year old female mixed breed dog. Two years ago she had a... (22802 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (16893 views)

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (15697 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (13726 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (10934 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (28753 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (14289 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (6373 views)