Diarrhea and vomiting.

Breed: Tortoisesshell
My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My new Vet as taken tests and her blood work came back showing her kidneys are starting to get a little weak. He is giving her fluids twice a week by IV to help with that, However she still has the diarrhea and vomiting. Has has tried a couple of different types medications that have not worked and the I/D and K/D foods he prescribed she won't touch. Is there anything over the counter I might be able try?
Thanks

It can definitely be frustrating dealing with a cat with vomiting and diarrhea as there are so many possible causes.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that would be likely to be helpful, especially if the vet's medicines didn't work.

There are a few things I can think of that may help. You can ask your vet about the possibility of inflammatory bowel disease. It can be hard to diagnose as we need to take biopsies of the bowel to do so. However, if I am really suspicious of inflammatory bowel disease then I will often prescribe some prednisone which often does a really good job. However, this will be a tough call for Indy because the prednisone could be a little tough on the kidneys. In cases like this I will sometimes use a medication called budesonide.

Another possible reason for an older cat to be vomiting and have diarrhea is some type of cancer. An intestinal or stomach or pancreatic cancer could do this. Your vet may be able to determine this with xrays but sometimes an ultrasound is needed. Unfortunately we don't have treatments for most of these cancers.

Has she been on metronidazole? This is a good drug to help with inflammation in the intestines.

Has she had any cernia? This is often good to help stop vomiting.

Feel free to write back and let me know what medications she has been on and I'll give you my input.

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (12482 views)

Dog licking other dog's ear. My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my... (61442 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (33583 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (10483 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (11363 views)

Losing weight and hungry. My dog Knock has lost a lot of weight, he currently weighs about thirty pounds and... (16436 views)

Bald spot on cat's tail. By accident my Ricky has a blad spot on his tail & i sure hope that it grows back?... (6763 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (20088 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (11584 views)

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (31171 views)