Diarrhea and vomiting.

Breed: Tortoisesshell
My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My new Vet as taken tests and her blood work came back showing her kidneys are starting to get a little weak. He is giving her fluids twice a week by IV to help with that, However she still has the diarrhea and vomiting. Has has tried a couple of different types medications that have not worked and the I/D and K/D foods he prescribed she won't touch. Is there anything over the counter I might be able try?
Thanks

It can definitely be frustrating dealing with a cat with vomiting and diarrhea as there are so many possible causes.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that would be likely to be helpful, especially if the vet's medicines didn't work.

There are a few things I can think of that may help. You can ask your vet about the possibility of inflammatory bowel disease. It can be hard to diagnose as we need to take biopsies of the bowel to do so. However, if I am really suspicious of inflammatory bowel disease then I will often prescribe some prednisone which often does a really good job. However, this will be a tough call for Indy because the prednisone could be a little tough on the kidneys. In cases like this I will sometimes use a medication called budesonide.

Another possible reason for an older cat to be vomiting and have diarrhea is some type of cancer. An intestinal or stomach or pancreatic cancer could do this. Your vet may be able to determine this with xrays but sometimes an ultrasound is needed. Unfortunately we don't have treatments for most of these cancers.

Has she been on metronidazole? This is a good drug to help with inflammation in the intestines.

Has she had any cernia? This is often good to help stop vomiting.

Feel free to write back and let me know what medications she has been on and I'll give you my input.

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (45066 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi there, Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice... (13625 views)

Limping on rear leg. Hello Dr. Marie! Buddy came to us about six months ago a stray. Though it was... (20861 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (6706 views)

Lethargic shih tzu My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a... (22895 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (4928 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (9447 views)

Young cat died after sneezing. I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize. I had four... (7189 views)

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (10393 views)

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (58647 views)