Vaginal Discharge.

Breed: German Shepherd
Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few days ago. I noticed she had large nipples, not leaking anything, but this evening she had a string of clear jelly like odorless discharge from her vaginal area. She isn't blown out or eating heavily. Would that discharge mean she's pregnant?

Thanks for your question.

There are a few things that could cause the symptoms that you have described.

It certainly is possible that she is pregnant. We don't usually see a lot of discharge from a pregnant bitch, but sometimes we can see a small amount just before she has the puppies.

It's also possible that she recently had puppies. There will often be a discharge (sometimes bloody) for several days after whelping.

Sometimes we can see something called a puppy vaginitis if she is a young dog. This can cause a clear vaginal discharge. This shouldn't cause large nipples though.

It's probably a good idea to have a vet take a look at this girl. They should be able to tell you if she is pregnant or if she has recently had pups.

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (9676 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (12662 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (10529 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (13280 views)

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (15617 views)

Time to put to sleep? I adopted my cat about 1.5yrs ago. When I adopted her I was told she was 3 yrs old;... (15763 views)

Puppies are dying after fire. We just got a couple of pit puppies, 2 weeks old - the mother dog died in a house... (8491 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (23090 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (9991 views)

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (23183 views)