Vaginal Discharge.

Breed: German Shepherd
Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few days ago. I noticed she had large nipples, not leaking anything, but this evening she had a string of clear jelly like odorless discharge from her vaginal area. She isn't blown out or eating heavily. Would that discharge mean she's pregnant?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Thanks for your question.

There are a few things that could cause the symptoms that you have described.

It certainly is possible that she is pregnant. We don't usually see a lot of discharge from a pregnant bitch, but sometimes we can see a small amount just before she has the puppies.

It's also possible that she recently had puppies. There will often be a discharge (sometimes bloody) for several days after whelping.

Sometimes we can see something called a puppy vaginitis if she is a young dog. This can cause a clear vaginal discharge. This shouldn't cause large nipples though.

It's probably a good idea to have a vet take a look at this girl. They should be able to tell you if she is pregnant or if she has recently had pups.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Trouble swallowing. My 6-year-old shepherd developed a major mucus production problem in the last month.... (7057 views)

Black sore near anus. Hello Dr.Marie (I am SO grateful for you!), I have had my two dogs (same breeder)... (30557 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (7849 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (2334 views)

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (9338 views)

Does Hartz kill roundworms? well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or... (6583 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (21209 views)

Cat has diarrhea. Hi, Our cat has diarrhea - it seems that she licks and licks herself and then it... (5615 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (17840 views)

Rice grain like worms in poop. my dog has rice grain-like worms in her poop. can you tell me what kind they are.... (10710 views)