Vaginal Discharge.

Breed: German Shepherd
Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few days ago. I noticed she had large nipples, not leaking anything, but this evening she had a string of clear jelly like odorless discharge from her vaginal area. She isn't blown out or eating heavily. Would that discharge mean she's pregnant?

Thanks for your question.

There are a few things that could cause the symptoms that you have described.

It certainly is possible that she is pregnant. We don't usually see a lot of discharge from a pregnant bitch, but sometimes we can see a small amount just before she has the puppies.

It's also possible that she recently had puppies. There will often be a discharge (sometimes bloody) for several days after whelping.

Sometimes we can see something called a puppy vaginitis if she is a young dog. This can cause a clear vaginal discharge. This shouldn't cause large nipples though.

It's probably a good idea to have a vet take a look at this girl. They should be able to tell you if she is pregnant or if she has recently had pups.

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (11045 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (10455 views)

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (9490 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (32032 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (10941 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (7601 views)

Older dog acting strange. I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The... (10771 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (36061 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (14929 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (9697 views)