Vaginal Discharge.

Breed: German Shepherd
Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few days ago. I noticed she had large nipples, not leaking anything, but this evening she had a string of clear jelly like odorless discharge from her vaginal area. She isn't blown out or eating heavily. Would that discharge mean she's pregnant?

Thanks for your question.

There are a few things that could cause the symptoms that you have described.

It certainly is possible that she is pregnant. We don't usually see a lot of discharge from a pregnant bitch, but sometimes we can see a small amount just before she has the puppies.

It's also possible that she recently had puppies. There will often be a discharge (sometimes bloody) for several days after whelping.

Sometimes we can see something called a puppy vaginitis if she is a young dog. This can cause a clear vaginal discharge. This shouldn't cause large nipples though.

It's probably a good idea to have a vet take a look at this girl. They should be able to tell you if she is pregnant or if she has recently had pups.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (8984 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (6661 views)

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (4664 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (8537 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (3551 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (7966 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (14480 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (5607 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (8018 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (6849 views)