Vaginal Discharge.

Breed: German Shepherd
Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few days ago. I noticed she had large nipples, not leaking anything, but this evening she had a string of clear jelly like odorless discharge from her vaginal area. She isn't blown out or eating heavily. Would that discharge mean she's pregnant?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Thanks for your question.

There are a few things that could cause the symptoms that you have described.

It certainly is possible that she is pregnant. We don't usually see a lot of discharge from a pregnant bitch, but sometimes we can see a small amount just before she has the puppies.

It's also possible that she recently had puppies. There will often be a discharge (sometimes bloody) for several days after whelping.

Sometimes we can see something called a puppy vaginitis if she is a young dog. This can cause a clear vaginal discharge. This shouldn't cause large nipples though.

It's probably a good idea to have a vet take a look at this girl. They should be able to tell you if she is pregnant or if she has recently had pups.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (2737 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (13408 views)

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (4972 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (19912 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (5087 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (5382 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (7455 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (8097 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (12449 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (11550 views)