Wheezing kitten.

Breed: Mixed breed
Hi!

I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and felt) like she'd been starved half to death. She has a wheezing issue and while she doesn't have diarrhea, she leaks slightly and her anus seems inflamed. I have her on vet recommended food to help her gain weight but I'm still really concerned about the wheezing and leaking.
What do you think?

--Thanks for your time.
Lauren.

Poor little one! It sounds like she is quite unwell.

There are a number of things that could be going on. Most likely she is fighting one or more viruses. The breathing issues could be due to an upper respiratory virus. These are really common in kittens. While some cats can get over these on their own, if you are really noticing some breathing difficulties then she may need some medication from your vet.

Regarding her stools, there are a few possibilities. A virus called panleukopenia could cause these problems. This can be very serious. Panleukopenia is similar to parvo virus in dogs.

Another possibility to consider is parasites. Roundworms, which are really common in cats can cause stool problems and sometimes can affect the lungs. Have you dewormed her yet? Any dewormer for cats should be effective.

When you mention that she is "leaking" but doesn't have diarrhea, do you mean that she is dropping stools out of her bum? Some cats can be born with problems with their anus where they have poor muscle tone. But this shouldn't cause the other issues you are seeing.

I would highly advise that this little one sees a vet. It would be much easier to get a diagnosis if I was there to examine her. Kittens don't have a lot of reserves to fight sickness so if she needs medication the sooner we get her on something the better!

I hope she does ok!

I haven't yet attempted deworming, but I got some dewormer last night in preperation. Also, I noticed that she's actually breathing through her mouth and not her nose. It sounds like she's got mucus in her throat or something of the like. Do you think if maybe after I shower and it's steamy, putting her in the room would loosen any phlegm in her throat?
I'm going to take her to the vet when I get the money, I just needed to know some things I could do to take care of her until then.

Thank you so much for your reply :)

Lauren

What you are describing with her breathing through her mouth and sounding congested definitely sounds like an upper respiratory tract virus. Yes, putting her in a steamy bathroom is a great idea. Get the bathroom nice and steamy and she can stay in there for about 10 minutes.

It's really important that she is eating as well, so another thing that will help will be to heat up some canned kitten food. This will make it more smelly and she is likely to eat more.

I hope she does ok!

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (7687 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (10098 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (18618 views)

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (31327 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (5735 views)

Bald on belly. My cat is around seven years old and recently started going bald on her stomach.... (10977 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (5404 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (8588 views)

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (7464 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (11398 views)