Wheezing kitten.

Breed: Mixed breed
Hi!

I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and felt) like she'd been starved half to death. She has a wheezing issue and while she doesn't have diarrhea, she leaks slightly and her anus seems inflamed. I have her on vet recommended food to help her gain weight but I'm still really concerned about the wheezing and leaking.
What do you think?

--Thanks for your time.
Lauren.

Poor little one! It sounds like she is quite unwell.

There are a number of things that could be going on. Most likely she is fighting one or more viruses. The breathing issues could be due to an upper respiratory virus. These are really common in kittens. While some cats can get over these on their own, if you are really noticing some breathing difficulties then she may need some medication from your vet.

Regarding her stools, there are a few possibilities. A virus called panleukopenia could cause these problems. This can be very serious. Panleukopenia is similar to parvo virus in dogs.

Another possibility to consider is parasites. Roundworms, which are really common in cats can cause stool problems and sometimes can affect the lungs. Have you dewormed her yet? Any dewormer for cats should be effective.

When you mention that she is "leaking" but doesn't have diarrhea, do you mean that she is dropping stools out of her bum? Some cats can be born with problems with their anus where they have poor muscle tone. But this shouldn't cause the other issues you are seeing.

I would highly advise that this little one sees a vet. It would be much easier to get a diagnosis if I was there to examine her. Kittens don't have a lot of reserves to fight sickness so if she needs medication the sooner we get her on something the better!

I hope she does ok!

I haven't yet attempted deworming, but I got some dewormer last night in preperation. Also, I noticed that she's actually breathing through her mouth and not her nose. It sounds like she's got mucus in her throat or something of the like. Do you think if maybe after I shower and it's steamy, putting her in the room would loosen any phlegm in her throat?
I'm going to take her to the vet when I get the money, I just needed to know some things I could do to take care of her until then.

Thank you so much for your reply :)

Lauren

What you are describing with her breathing through her mouth and sounding congested definitely sounds like an upper respiratory tract virus. Yes, putting her in a steamy bathroom is a great idea. Get the bathroom nice and steamy and she can stay in there for about 10 minutes.

It's really important that she is eating as well, so another thing that will help will be to heat up some canned kitten food. This will make it more smelly and she is likely to eat more.

I hope she does ok!

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (17278 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (6786 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (9740 views)

Cat behavior problem. We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a... (11449 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (20729 views)

Rabbit not moving. this morning she was fine, now she is laying lifeless, her belly is flat like she... (7834 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (27914 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (13491 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Since saturday our terrior cross hasn't been eating her food,and drinking alot. We... (9156 views)

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (23169 views)