Wheezing kitten.

Breed: Mixed breed
Hi!

I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and felt) like she'd been starved half to death. She has a wheezing issue and while she doesn't have diarrhea, she leaks slightly and her anus seems inflamed. I have her on vet recommended food to help her gain weight but I'm still really concerned about the wheezing and leaking.
What do you think?

--Thanks for your time.
Lauren.

Poor little one! It sounds like she is quite unwell.

There are a number of things that could be going on. Most likely she is fighting one or more viruses. The breathing issues could be due to an upper respiratory virus. These are really common in kittens. While some cats can get over these on their own, if you are really noticing some breathing difficulties then she may need some medication from your vet.

Regarding her stools, there are a few possibilities. A virus called panleukopenia could cause these problems. This can be very serious. Panleukopenia is similar to parvo virus in dogs.

Another possibility to consider is parasites. Roundworms, which are really common in cats can cause stool problems and sometimes can affect the lungs. Have you dewormed her yet? Any dewormer for cats should be effective.

When you mention that she is "leaking" but doesn't have diarrhea, do you mean that she is dropping stools out of her bum? Some cats can be born with problems with their anus where they have poor muscle tone. But this shouldn't cause the other issues you are seeing.

I would highly advise that this little one sees a vet. It would be much easier to get a diagnosis if I was there to examine her. Kittens don't have a lot of reserves to fight sickness so if she needs medication the sooner we get her on something the better!

I hope she does ok!

I haven't yet attempted deworming, but I got some dewormer last night in preperation. Also, I noticed that she's actually breathing through her mouth and not her nose. It sounds like she's got mucus in her throat or something of the like. Do you think if maybe after I shower and it's steamy, putting her in the room would loosen any phlegm in her throat?
I'm going to take her to the vet when I get the money, I just needed to know some things I could do to take care of her until then.

Thank you so much for your reply :)

Lauren

What you are describing with her breathing through her mouth and sounding congested definitely sounds like an upper respiratory tract virus. Yes, putting her in a steamy bathroom is a great idea. Get the bathroom nice and steamy and she can stay in there for about 10 minutes.

It's really important that she is eating as well, so another thing that will help will be to heat up some canned kitten food. This will make it more smelly and she is likely to eat more.

I hope she does ok!

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (4772 views)

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (13772 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (8991 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (13575 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (7877 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (34953 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (14432 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (52526 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (15703 views)

Dog doesn't like u/d For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you... (18542 views)