Wheezing kitten.

Breed: Mixed breed
Hi!

I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and felt) like she'd been starved half to death. She has a wheezing issue and while she doesn't have diarrhea, she leaks slightly and her anus seems inflamed. I have her on vet recommended food to help her gain weight but I'm still really concerned about the wheezing and leaking.
What do you think?

--Thanks for your time.
Lauren.

Poor little one! It sounds like she is quite unwell.

There are a number of things that could be going on. Most likely she is fighting one or more viruses. The breathing issues could be due to an upper respiratory virus. These are really common in kittens. While some cats can get over these on their own, if you are really noticing some breathing difficulties then she may need some medication from your vet.

Regarding her stools, there are a few possibilities. A virus called panleukopenia could cause these problems. This can be very serious. Panleukopenia is similar to parvo virus in dogs.

Another possibility to consider is parasites. Roundworms, which are really common in cats can cause stool problems and sometimes can affect the lungs. Have you dewormed her yet? Any dewormer for cats should be effective.

When you mention that she is "leaking" but doesn't have diarrhea, do you mean that she is dropping stools out of her bum? Some cats can be born with problems with their anus where they have poor muscle tone. But this shouldn't cause the other issues you are seeing.

I would highly advise that this little one sees a vet. It would be much easier to get a diagnosis if I was there to examine her. Kittens don't have a lot of reserves to fight sickness so if she needs medication the sooner we get her on something the better!

I hope she does ok!

I haven't yet attempted deworming, but I got some dewormer last night in preperation. Also, I noticed that she's actually breathing through her mouth and not her nose. It sounds like she's got mucus in her throat or something of the like. Do you think if maybe after I shower and it's steamy, putting her in the room would loosen any phlegm in her throat?
I'm going to take her to the vet when I get the money, I just needed to know some things I could do to take care of her until then.

Thank you so much for your reply :)

Lauren

What you are describing with her breathing through her mouth and sounding congested definitely sounds like an upper respiratory tract virus. Yes, putting her in a steamy bathroom is a great idea. Get the bathroom nice and steamy and she can stay in there for about 10 minutes.

It's really important that she is eating as well, so another thing that will help will be to heat up some canned kitten food. This will make it more smelly and she is likely to eat more.

I hope she does ok!

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (35871 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (38337 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (11004 views)

Drinking a lot and collapse. My boxer, Tank, has recently began drinking water excessively and then pees all over... (24983 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (10722 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (50191 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (30558 views)

Trifexis side effects I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three... (9754 views)

Pitbull with rash Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he... (13412 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (226210 views)