Wheezing kitten.

Breed: Mixed breed
Hi!

I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and felt) like she'd been starved half to death. She has a wheezing issue and while she doesn't have diarrhea, she leaks slightly and her anus seems inflamed. I have her on vet recommended food to help her gain weight but I'm still really concerned about the wheezing and leaking.
What do you think?

--Thanks for your time.
Lauren.

Poor little one! It sounds like she is quite unwell.

There are a number of things that could be going on. Most likely she is fighting one or more viruses. The breathing issues could be due to an upper respiratory virus. These are really common in kittens. While some cats can get over these on their own, if you are really noticing some breathing difficulties then she may need some medication from your vet.

Regarding her stools, there are a few possibilities. A virus called panleukopenia could cause these problems. This can be very serious. Panleukopenia is similar to parvo virus in dogs.

Another possibility to consider is parasites. Roundworms, which are really common in cats can cause stool problems and sometimes can affect the lungs. Have you dewormed her yet? Any dewormer for cats should be effective.

When you mention that she is "leaking" but doesn't have diarrhea, do you mean that she is dropping stools out of her bum? Some cats can be born with problems with their anus where they have poor muscle tone. But this shouldn't cause the other issues you are seeing.

I would highly advise that this little one sees a vet. It would be much easier to get a diagnosis if I was there to examine her. Kittens don't have a lot of reserves to fight sickness so if she needs medication the sooner we get her on something the better!

I hope she does ok!

I haven't yet attempted deworming, but I got some dewormer last night in preperation. Also, I noticed that she's actually breathing through her mouth and not her nose. It sounds like she's got mucus in her throat or something of the like. Do you think if maybe after I shower and it's steamy, putting her in the room would loosen any phlegm in her throat?
I'm going to take her to the vet when I get the money, I just needed to know some things I could do to take care of her until then.

Thank you so much for your reply :)

Lauren

What you are describing with her breathing through her mouth and sounding congested definitely sounds like an upper respiratory tract virus. Yes, putting her in a steamy bathroom is a great idea. Get the bathroom nice and steamy and she can stay in there for about 10 minutes.

It's really important that she is eating as well, so another thing that will help will be to heat up some canned kitten food. This will make it more smelly and she is likely to eat more.

I hope she does ok!

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (23128 views)

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (10439 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (12220 views)

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (15445 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (12084 views)

Blood blisters on a cat My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and... (19939 views)

Vaccine squirted onto skin. OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and... (29673 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (9533 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (6879 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (15232 views)