Runny eyes in a persian.

Breed: Persian
Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes seem to always be running and watering a brownish red color. I am just wondering what I can do to help this problem or if it is just normal. I clean his face twice a day but it comes back so quickly. Thank you in advance for your help.

Kelsey

Thanks for your question. It is quite common for persian cats to have discharge from their eyes. A brown color is normal for these guys.

If you are seeing that there is a green or a yellow discharge then this could be an infection, but brown is likely not an infection.

Does Chewey seem to be squinting or have red eyes at all? If so, then it would be worthwhile to have your vet have a look at him to be sure there is no condition that could be treated such as an allergy or a problem with tear production.

I have had good success cleaning these eyes using a product called optix care.

I hope that helps!

Chronic pancreatitis flareup. Kasma is currently being treated for chronic pancreatitis...she's been on... (7555 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (5161 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (10354 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (20919 views)

Limping on rear leg. Hello Dr. Marie! Buddy came to us about six months ago a stray. Though it was... (22624 views)

Seizures wouldn't stop. My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He... (29995 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (27601 views)

Antibiotics for pyometra? my dog has pyometra what are the chances with survival after antibotic injection... (9633 views)

Howling and very sick. My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday... (75166 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (72823 views)