Runny eyes in a persian.

Breed: Persian
Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes seem to always be running and watering a brownish red color. I am just wondering what I can do to help this problem or if it is just normal. I clean his face twice a day but it comes back so quickly. Thank you in advance for your help.

Kelsey

Thanks for your question. It is quite common for persian cats to have discharge from their eyes. A brown color is normal for these guys.

If you are seeing that there is a green or a yellow discharge then this could be an infection, but brown is likely not an infection.

Does Chewey seem to be squinting or have red eyes at all? If so, then it would be worthwhile to have your vet have a look at him to be sure there is no condition that could be treated such as an allergy or a problem with tear production.

I have had good success cleaning these eyes using a product called optix care.

I hope that helps!

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (7765 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (9437 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (17293 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (13991 views)

Trouble swallowing. My 6-year-old shepherd developed a major mucus production problem in the last month.... (17110 views)

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (155907 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (30271 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (11013 views)

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (28600 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (10933 views)