Runny eyes in a persian.

Breed: Persian
Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes seem to always be running and watering a brownish red color. I am just wondering what I can do to help this problem or if it is just normal. I clean his face twice a day but it comes back so quickly. Thank you in advance for your help.

Kelsey

Thanks for your question. It is quite common for persian cats to have discharge from their eyes. A brown color is normal for these guys.

If you are seeing that there is a green or a yellow discharge then this could be an infection, but brown is likely not an infection.

Does Chewey seem to be squinting or have red eyes at all? If so, then it would be worthwhile to have your vet have a look at him to be sure there is no condition that could be treated such as an allergy or a problem with tear production.

I have had good success cleaning these eyes using a product called optix care.

I hope that helps!

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (17322 views)

Brain and thyroid cancer. Hello Dr. Marie, I'm so sad to say I lost my boy cancer last week. We first... (13994 views)

Is this a tick? So Badger has a strange growth on the edge of his ear...I will include two pictures... (27215 views)

Help cats to get along. Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland. I have a cat thats 8 months old... (7658 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (35624 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4566 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (9134 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (14863 views)

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (6154 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (9184 views)