Runny eyes in a persian.

Breed: Persian
Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes seem to always be running and watering a brownish red color. I am just wondering what I can do to help this problem or if it is just normal. I clean his face twice a day but it comes back so quickly. Thank you in advance for your help.

Kelsey

Thanks for your question. It is quite common for persian cats to have discharge from their eyes. A brown color is normal for these guys.

If you are seeing that there is a green or a yellow discharge then this could be an infection, but brown is likely not an infection.

Does Chewey seem to be squinting or have red eyes at all? If so, then it would be worthwhile to have your vet have a look at him to be sure there is no condition that could be treated such as an allergy or a problem with tear production.

I have had good success cleaning these eyes using a product called optix care.

I hope that helps!

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (8679 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (7626 views)

Pocket pets and cats. I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I... (4045 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (13540 views)

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (6277 views)

dog rigid then drowsy I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then... (8940 views)

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (25894 views)

Trifexis overdose. My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog... (5723 views)

Heartworm in a puppy? I recently sold an 11 week old pomeranian on January 24, 2010 due to allergies. I... (13711 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (5294 views)