Runny eyes in a persian.

Breed: Persian
Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes seem to always be running and watering a brownish red color. I am just wondering what I can do to help this problem or if it is just normal. I clean his face twice a day but it comes back so quickly. Thank you in advance for your help.

Kelsey

Thanks for your question. It is quite common for persian cats to have discharge from their eyes. A brown color is normal for these guys.

If you are seeing that there is a green or a yellow discharge then this could be an infection, but brown is likely not an infection.

Does Chewey seem to be squinting or have red eyes at all? If so, then it would be worthwhile to have your vet have a look at him to be sure there is no condition that could be treated such as an allergy or a problem with tear production.

I have had good success cleaning these eyes using a product called optix care.

I hope that helps!

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (9613 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (16115 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (12639 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (30904 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (184300 views)

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (13861 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (29395 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (10054 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (8943 views)

Shaking and tucking tail. 3 days ago my dog, who was being taken on a walk in the morning, suddenly started... (182379 views)