Coughing puppy.

Breed: mini schnauzer
My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up
as if she has something stuck in her throat shes eating well,playing and barking but is trying to throw up every 5 min sometimes every 2 min she's even doing it in her sleep.
Is this normal or should i be concerned?

The most common reason for a dog to hack like something is stuck in their throat is a virus such as kennel cough. You can read more about this by clicking here: Kennel Cough

For most dogs they will get over kennel cough on their own but in a young puppy it may be best to have your vet take a look at her.

There are other less likely possibilities such as roundworms. These worms can go through a phase where they affect the lungs. But, the cough is not usually hacking like you have described.

I hope she feels better soon!

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (10549 views)

Is he really gone? My very elderly dog very sadly had to be put to sleep a few days ago. This was... (34152 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (14103 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (9263 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (21540 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (9989 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (14284 views)

Dog ate M&M's. My 20 pound dachsund just ate a pack of M&M chocolate!!! Will he die? PLEASE... (51146 views)

Puppy vomiting at night. My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to... (53142 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (11744 views)