Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy.

Breed: Shih tzu
Good evening,

I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12 weeks old and yesterday I noticed she had a couple runny bowel movements. She got sick this morning and threw up just white foam twice. She has had 2 runny bowel movements today.

She seems to be eating and drinking fine. Also being her playful self.

Is there anything to be concerned about?

She has had her first shots. We go for her second shot at the end of this week and they also want a sample of her bowel.

Thanks for helping.

Sorry to hear that your puppy is not feeling well. There are a good number of things that can cause a puppy to have some loose stools and occasional vomiting. The real question though is whether you need to worry or whether she should be seen by the vet.

Puppies don't have as many reserves as adult dogs to fight dehydration. As such, I don't like to wait too long before seeing the vet.

Here are some criteria that would make me want to take her to the vet right now:

-If she loses her appetite
-if she continues vomiting for 48 hours. Or, if she has more than 5 vomiting incidences in one day.
-if she seems to be really lethargic
-if the diarrhea doesn't clear up in 48 hours

It's possible that she just has some stomach upset from either something she ate or some type of stress such as a new routine. It's also possible that she is having a mild reaction to her vaccines although these symptoms are not really typical of a vaccine reaction.

A parasite of some type is possible as well. If this is the case it will show up on her stool test.

There are of course more serious possibilities such as a foreign object stuck in her stomach or intestines or ingestion of a toxic substance. A virus like parvo virus is less likely given that she is vaccinated, but still a possibility.

If it is something mild then she should be mostly recovered within 24-48 hours. But if she is not, or if she is getting worse then I would definitely have your vet see her.

Hope things look up soon!

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (29135 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (15280 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (10147 views)

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (14009 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (16059 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (4562 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (4505 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (12924 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (10757 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (9708 views)