Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy.

Breed: Shih tzu
Good evening,

I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12 weeks old and yesterday I noticed she had a couple runny bowel movements. She got sick this morning and threw up just white foam twice. She has had 2 runny bowel movements today.

She seems to be eating and drinking fine. Also being her playful self.

Is there anything to be concerned about?

She has had her first shots. We go for her second shot at the end of this week and they also want a sample of her bowel.

Thanks for helping.

Sorry to hear that your puppy is not feeling well. There are a good number of things that can cause a puppy to have some loose stools and occasional vomiting. The real question though is whether you need to worry or whether she should be seen by the vet.

Puppies don't have as many reserves as adult dogs to fight dehydration. As such, I don't like to wait too long before seeing the vet.

Here are some criteria that would make me want to take her to the vet right now:

-If she loses her appetite
-if she continues vomiting for 48 hours. Or, if she has more than 5 vomiting incidences in one day.
-if she seems to be really lethargic
-if the diarrhea doesn't clear up in 48 hours

It's possible that she just has some stomach upset from either something she ate or some type of stress such as a new routine. It's also possible that she is having a mild reaction to her vaccines although these symptoms are not really typical of a vaccine reaction.

A parasite of some type is possible as well. If this is the case it will show up on her stool test.

There are of course more serious possibilities such as a foreign object stuck in her stomach or intestines or ingestion of a toxic substance. A virus like parvo virus is less likely given that she is vaccinated, but still a possibility.

If it is something mild then she should be mostly recovered within 24-48 hours. But if she is not, or if she is getting worse then I would definitely have your vet see her.

Hope things look up soon!

yellow colored diarrhea We have had this puppy for about 2 weeks. The puppies were about 5 weeks when the... (11217 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (10717 views)

Chihuahua fell from couch. Hello. I have a sweet, loving, happy, and spoiled female chihuahua, weighing about... (9781 views)

cat with trouble breathing I have a cat named Bunny, she is about 4 or 5 years old, she is a little over... (24880 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (6951 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (7897 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (26672 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (13652 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (10727 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (25776 views)