Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy.

Breed: Shih tzu
Good evening,

I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12 weeks old and yesterday I noticed she had a couple runny bowel movements. She got sick this morning and threw up just white foam twice. She has had 2 runny bowel movements today.

She seems to be eating and drinking fine. Also being her playful self.

Is there anything to be concerned about?

She has had her first shots. We go for her second shot at the end of this week and they also want a sample of her bowel.

Thanks for helping.

Sorry to hear that your puppy is not feeling well. There are a good number of things that can cause a puppy to have some loose stools and occasional vomiting. The real question though is whether you need to worry or whether she should be seen by the vet.

Puppies don't have as many reserves as adult dogs to fight dehydration. As such, I don't like to wait too long before seeing the vet.

Here are some criteria that would make me want to take her to the vet right now:

-If she loses her appetite
-if she continues vomiting for 48 hours. Or, if she has more than 5 vomiting incidences in one day.
-if she seems to be really lethargic
-if the diarrhea doesn't clear up in 48 hours

It's possible that she just has some stomach upset from either something she ate or some type of stress such as a new routine. It's also possible that she is having a mild reaction to her vaccines although these symptoms are not really typical of a vaccine reaction.

A parasite of some type is possible as well. If this is the case it will show up on her stool test.

There are of course more serious possibilities such as a foreign object stuck in her stomach or intestines or ingestion of a toxic substance. A virus like parvo virus is less likely given that she is vaccinated, but still a possibility.

If it is something mild then she should be mostly recovered within 24-48 hours. But if she is not, or if she is getting worse then I would definitely have your vet see her.

Hope things look up soon!

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (8056 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (41895 views)

Feeding a cat with fatty liver. Hi Dr. Marie, I am in a bit of a muddy situation. My client changed vets for ONE of... (7613 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (19616 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (10519 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (13984 views)

Is this a chest tumor? Hello. My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing... (11204 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (39494 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (14627 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (26940 views)