Does my cat have cancer?

Breed: Domestic Short Hair

Dear Dr. Marie,

Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to you.

Here is my cat’s situation:

- Obese, 10 year old, indoor, male

- Coughing once weekly/ bi-weekly

- Eating normally, active, normal self

- X-rays showed numerous white spots/nodules in lungs

- Full blood tests done. No abnormalities

- Ultrasound done. No abnormalities in heart and outside area of lung

- Experience radiologist informed that ultrasound cannot read the inside of a cat’s lung

The X-rays, blood test and ultrasound were just done about a week ago (period of 16-24 Nov 2012).

Questions:

1) Is it necessary to proceed with further diagnostics in my cat’s case?

2) What is the best scan/diagnostic imaging method to determine cancer in a cat’s lungs (or metastatic cancer that has spread to the lungs)?

Thank you for reading my question, have a good day!

Best regards,
Jessica
Singapore

Hi Jessica, good to hear from you again...but I am sorry to hear that Derek Boy may have cancer.

It is definitely true that ultrasound is not a good tool for looking at a cat's lungs. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of easy ways to assess for cancer in a cat's chest.

This is a tough question to answer for you because there are many variables. I would say that the most common reason for nodules in the lung is cancer. But, there are other possibilities. In my experience, most cats with cancer in the lungs do not do much coughing. Coughing usually means there is some kind of inflammation in the airways. Asthma is a very common reason for a cough in cats. Cats with asthma show changes on xrays, but they don't look like distinct nodules.

Your best source of information here is the radiologist. If the radiologist is quite certain that these xrays look like cancer, then this is probably the case. But, often they will say that they are not sure and that cancer is likely. If this is the case then you could go looking for other things.

You could ask your vet if heartworm is common in your area. Heartworm is much more common in dogs, but can affect cats and can be a cause of a cough and changes on xrays.

Similarly, a fungal disease can cause a cough and can look like cancer. Fungal diseases are only common in certain parts of the world though.

There are other tests that could possibly give you more answers. One good one to do would be a CT scan but these are very expensive and not available everywhere. An exploratory surgery of the chest could diagnose the problem, but this would be very invasive. I would not recommend an exploratory surgery because if there is cancer in multiple places, then surgery is not going to cure it.

If this were my case I would likely do a heartworm test (if not already done) and I probably would do a trial of some steroid medication. If this is asthma, then the steroids will help. I would take another xray in a month or so to see if things have improved.

Cases like this are difficult. It sounds like your vets are doing all the same things I would though.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Dear Dr. Marie,

Thank you for your prompt and detailed answer.

You certainly gave me sound and caring advice on what to do about Derek Boy's condition.

Thank you and have a great weekend ahead!

Best regards,
Jessica
Singapore

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (20214 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (17798 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (20546 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis. Jet has started making sounds like he is gasping for breath and then coughs. This... (15175 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (16367 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (9225 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (13312 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (26019 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (37122 views)

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (42695 views)