Does my cat have cancer?

Breed: Domestic Short Hair

Dear Dr. Marie,

Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to you.

Here is my cat’s situation:

- Obese, 10 year old, indoor, male

- Coughing once weekly/ bi-weekly

- Eating normally, active, normal self

- X-rays showed numerous white spots/nodules in lungs

- Full blood tests done. No abnormalities

- Ultrasound done. No abnormalities in heart and outside area of lung

- Experience radiologist informed that ultrasound cannot read the inside of a cat’s lung

The X-rays, blood test and ultrasound were just done about a week ago (period of 16-24 Nov 2012).

Questions:

1) Is it necessary to proceed with further diagnostics in my cat’s case?

2) What is the best scan/diagnostic imaging method to determine cancer in a cat’s lungs (or metastatic cancer that has spread to the lungs)?

Thank you for reading my question, have a good day!

Best regards,
Jessica
Singapore

Hi Jessica, good to hear from you again...but I am sorry to hear that Derek Boy may have cancer.

It is definitely true that ultrasound is not a good tool for looking at a cat's lungs. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of easy ways to assess for cancer in a cat's chest.

This is a tough question to answer for you because there are many variables. I would say that the most common reason for nodules in the lung is cancer. But, there are other possibilities. In my experience, most cats with cancer in the lungs do not do much coughing. Coughing usually means there is some kind of inflammation in the airways. Asthma is a very common reason for a cough in cats. Cats with asthma show changes on xrays, but they don't look like distinct nodules.

Your best source of information here is the radiologist. If the radiologist is quite certain that these xrays look like cancer, then this is probably the case. But, often they will say that they are not sure and that cancer is likely. If this is the case then you could go looking for other things.

You could ask your vet if heartworm is common in your area. Heartworm is much more common in dogs, but can affect cats and can be a cause of a cough and changes on xrays.

Similarly, a fungal disease can cause a cough and can look like cancer. Fungal diseases are only common in certain parts of the world though.

There are other tests that could possibly give you more answers. One good one to do would be a CT scan but these are very expensive and not available everywhere. An exploratory surgery of the chest could diagnose the problem, but this would be very invasive. I would not recommend an exploratory surgery because if there is cancer in multiple places, then surgery is not going to cure it.

If this were my case I would likely do a heartworm test (if not already done) and I probably would do a trial of some steroid medication. If this is asthma, then the steroids will help. I would take another xray in a month or so to see if things have improved.

Cases like this are difficult. It sounds like your vets are doing all the same things I would though.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Dear Dr. Marie,

Thank you for your prompt and detailed answer.

You certainly gave me sound and caring advice on what to do about Derek Boy's condition.

Thank you and have a great weekend ahead!

Best regards,
Jessica
Singapore

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (26111 views)

Young dog with loose stool. I fed my dog PURINA and switched quickly to ORIJEN 6 FISH. Dogs stool became... (15853 views)

Dog spay incision lump. My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a... (137705 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (7394 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (16970 views)

Old cat with lump on paw. Our family cat is 13 to 15 years old. within the last two weeks she has lost her... (9817 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (38416 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (16240 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (101639 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (30508 views)