Only one testicle descended.

Breed: boxer
I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you tell me the health concerns related with this condition? Is there a possibility that his testicle could still descend? Is there any way to assist the testicle to descend? Also, would he be able to breed, and would there be risk of this condition being passed on to his puppies? Is he at an increased risk of developing cancer if he is not neutered now?

This is an excellent question!

By 7 months of age, if only one testicle has descended then it is very unlikely that the other one will. It is still possible, but in my experience if the second one does not drop by 5 months then it usually doesn't come down at all.

There is no way to assist the testicle to drop.

You definitely want to have him neutered. There are a few reasons for this. First, the testicle that hasn't dropped is likely sitting in his abdomen. This causes it to be at a higher temperature than the testicle that is outside of the body in the scrotum. This increase in temperature can cause several things:
  • An increase in testosterone production - this can lead to increased aggression, urinating on things, mounting things.

• Cancer - A testicle that is inside the abdomen has a very high chance of becoming cancerous later on in life.

• Prostate problems - Many prostate problems are brought on by high levels of testosterone.

Now for your next question...Would he be able to breed? Well yes, he can breed but he should not be bred. The reason for this is that cryptorchidism (not having two descended testicles) is a genetic condition. This means that any male pups he fathers are likely to have the same problem.

I hope this answers your question. Please have him neutered soon!

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (9529 views)

Keep dachshund from jumping? Hello, About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind... (10632 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (10096 views)

Homeopathic seizure control. I have adopted a dog Jack aged 7. He has seizures which last about 3-5 minutes and... (7202 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (10177 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (6017 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (11544 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (16352 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (9600 views)

Wheezing, sneezing kitten. my kitten is 3 and a half months old recently she has been sleeping a whole lot and... (11743 views)