Aspirin and Lasix?

Breed: Wheaten Terrier
Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen and is currently on Enalapril (10 mg twice a day) for his heart along with a diuretic, Lasix (20 mg once a day). He usually also takes Duralactin twice daily for joint/arthritis pain. He was on Rimadyl too, but had to stop that when he started his heart meds. I ran out of Duralactin and it is arriving tomorrow. What am I able to give him for the pain? Can I give him baby aspirin? He's suffering and all the other vets in my area can't answer this simple question for me. Thank you.

Oh I am sorry to hear that your dog is so uncomfortable.

The reason why you are not getting an answer to this question is that there really isn't any over the counter drug that would be helpful and safe in this situation.

The reason why Seaumus was not able to continue on Rimadyl is that Rimadyl is something called an NSAID. NSAIDS can be a little bit challenging for the kidneys to handle. A diuretic such as Lasix also puts a strain on the kidneys. When we use the two of them together it can potentially cause kidney damage.

Aspirin is also an NSAID. It is much more likely to cause kidney issues than Rimadyl. Using aspirin plus lasix is not a good idea at all.

Any of the natural products for arthritis such as glucosamine, cosequin, etc. are not going to be effective until after a couple of weeks of use.

If this were my case I would likely be prescribing a medication called Tramadol. Tramadol is safe for use along with a medication that is processed through the kidneys and it can be very effective for arthritis pain. However, Tramadol is only available with a prescription and as such you would need to get it from your vet, or if he/she is not available you would need to have Seamus seen by another vet in order for it to legally be prescribed.

If you know which joints are sore, it may be beneficial to put an ice pack or a pack of frozen peas on the sore joint(s) for about 10 minutes a few times over the day. That may help somewhat.

I wish I could give you more help, but unfortunately there is not much more that I can think of that can be done.

Dr. Marie,

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I appreciate it.

All the best,
Megan

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (9793 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (25748 views)

Stress from travel. Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK... (5230 views)

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (12990 views)

Died after grooming. Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to... (9409 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (21725 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (5919 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (6853 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (8540 views)

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (96188 views)