Aspirin and Lasix?

Breed: Wheaten Terrier
Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen and is currently on Enalapril (10 mg twice a day) for his heart along with a diuretic, Lasix (20 mg once a day). He usually also takes Duralactin twice daily for joint/arthritis pain. He was on Rimadyl too, but had to stop that when he started his heart meds. I ran out of Duralactin and it is arriving tomorrow. What am I able to give him for the pain? Can I give him baby aspirin? He's suffering and all the other vets in my area can't answer this simple question for me. Thank you.

Oh I am sorry to hear that your dog is so uncomfortable.

The reason why you are not getting an answer to this question is that there really isn't any over the counter drug that would be helpful and safe in this situation.

The reason why Seaumus was not able to continue on Rimadyl is that Rimadyl is something called an NSAID. NSAIDS can be a little bit challenging for the kidneys to handle. A diuretic such as Lasix also puts a strain on the kidneys. When we use the two of them together it can potentially cause kidney damage.

Aspirin is also an NSAID. It is much more likely to cause kidney issues than Rimadyl. Using aspirin plus lasix is not a good idea at all.

Any of the natural products for arthritis such as glucosamine, cosequin, etc. are not going to be effective until after a couple of weeks of use.

If this were my case I would likely be prescribing a medication called Tramadol. Tramadol is safe for use along with a medication that is processed through the kidneys and it can be very effective for arthritis pain. However, Tramadol is only available with a prescription and as such you would need to get it from your vet, or if he/she is not available you would need to have Seamus seen by another vet in order for it to legally be prescribed.

If you know which joints are sore, it may be beneficial to put an ice pack or a pack of frozen peas on the sore joint(s) for about 10 minutes a few times over the day. That may help somewhat.

I wish I could give you more help, but unfortunately there is not much more that I can think of that can be done.

Dr. Marie,

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I appreciate it.

All the best,
Megan

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (15903 views)

Pitbull with rash Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he... (10719 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (18065 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (11619 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (23769 views)

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (24659 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (11688 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (13099 views)

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (9378 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (17564 views)