Aspirin and Lasix?

Breed: Wheaten Terrier
Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen and is currently on Enalapril (10 mg twice a day) for his heart along with a diuretic, Lasix (20 mg once a day). He usually also takes Duralactin twice daily for joint/arthritis pain. He was on Rimadyl too, but had to stop that when he started his heart meds. I ran out of Duralactin and it is arriving tomorrow. What am I able to give him for the pain? Can I give him baby aspirin? He's suffering and all the other vets in my area can't answer this simple question for me. Thank you.

Oh I am sorry to hear that your dog is so uncomfortable.

The reason why you are not getting an answer to this question is that there really isn't any over the counter drug that would be helpful and safe in this situation.

The reason why Seaumus was not able to continue on Rimadyl is that Rimadyl is something called an NSAID. NSAIDS can be a little bit challenging for the kidneys to handle. A diuretic such as Lasix also puts a strain on the kidneys. When we use the two of them together it can potentially cause kidney damage.

Aspirin is also an NSAID. It is much more likely to cause kidney issues than Rimadyl. Using aspirin plus lasix is not a good idea at all.

Any of the natural products for arthritis such as glucosamine, cosequin, etc. are not going to be effective until after a couple of weeks of use.

If this were my case I would likely be prescribing a medication called Tramadol. Tramadol is safe for use along with a medication that is processed through the kidneys and it can be very effective for arthritis pain. However, Tramadol is only available with a prescription and as such you would need to get it from your vet, or if he/she is not available you would need to have Seamus seen by another vet in order for it to legally be prescribed.

If you know which joints are sore, it may be beneficial to put an ice pack or a pack of frozen peas on the sore joint(s) for about 10 minutes a few times over the day. That may help somewhat.

I wish I could give you more help, but unfortunately there is not much more that I can think of that can be done.

Dr. Marie,

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I appreciate it.

All the best,
Megan

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (8573 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (9315 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (17910 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (7068 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (13710 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (7062 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (7708 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (17783 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (8163 views)

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (9137 views)