Aspirin and Lasix?

Breed: Wheaten Terrier
Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen and is currently on Enalapril (10 mg twice a day) for his heart along with a diuretic, Lasix (20 mg once a day). He usually also takes Duralactin twice daily for joint/arthritis pain. He was on Rimadyl too, but had to stop that when he started his heart meds. I ran out of Duralactin and it is arriving tomorrow. What am I able to give him for the pain? Can I give him baby aspirin? He's suffering and all the other vets in my area can't answer this simple question for me. Thank you.

Oh I am sorry to hear that your dog is so uncomfortable.

The reason why you are not getting an answer to this question is that there really isn't any over the counter drug that would be helpful and safe in this situation.

The reason why Seaumus was not able to continue on Rimadyl is that Rimadyl is something called an NSAID. NSAIDS can be a little bit challenging for the kidneys to handle. A diuretic such as Lasix also puts a strain on the kidneys. When we use the two of them together it can potentially cause kidney damage.

Aspirin is also an NSAID. It is much more likely to cause kidney issues than Rimadyl. Using aspirin plus lasix is not a good idea at all.

Any of the natural products for arthritis such as glucosamine, cosequin, etc. are not going to be effective until after a couple of weeks of use.

If this were my case I would likely be prescribing a medication called Tramadol. Tramadol is safe for use along with a medication that is processed through the kidneys and it can be very effective for arthritis pain. However, Tramadol is only available with a prescription and as such you would need to get it from your vet, or if he/she is not available you would need to have Seamus seen by another vet in order for it to legally be prescribed.

If you know which joints are sore, it may be beneficial to put an ice pack or a pack of frozen peas on the sore joint(s) for about 10 minutes a few times over the day. That may help somewhat.

I wish I could give you more help, but unfortunately there is not much more that I can think of that can be done.

Dr. Marie,

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I appreciate it.

All the best,
Megan

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (8406 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (24087 views)

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (7949 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (30984 views)

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (24226 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (24835 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (11965 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5841 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (23138 views)

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (23570 views)