Aspirin and Lasix?

Breed: Wheaten Terrier
Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen and is currently on Enalapril (10 mg twice a day) for his heart along with a diuretic, Lasix (20 mg once a day). He usually also takes Duralactin twice daily for joint/arthritis pain. He was on Rimadyl too, but had to stop that when he started his heart meds. I ran out of Duralactin and it is arriving tomorrow. What am I able to give him for the pain? Can I give him baby aspirin? He's suffering and all the other vets in my area can't answer this simple question for me. Thank you.

Oh I am sorry to hear that your dog is so uncomfortable.

The reason why you are not getting an answer to this question is that there really isn't any over the counter drug that would be helpful and safe in this situation.

The reason why Seaumus was not able to continue on Rimadyl is that Rimadyl is something called an NSAID. NSAIDS can be a little bit challenging for the kidneys to handle. A diuretic such as Lasix also puts a strain on the kidneys. When we use the two of them together it can potentially cause kidney damage.

Aspirin is also an NSAID. It is much more likely to cause kidney issues than Rimadyl. Using aspirin plus lasix is not a good idea at all.

Any of the natural products for arthritis such as glucosamine, cosequin, etc. are not going to be effective until after a couple of weeks of use.

If this were my case I would likely be prescribing a medication called Tramadol. Tramadol is safe for use along with a medication that is processed through the kidneys and it can be very effective for arthritis pain. However, Tramadol is only available with a prescription and as such you would need to get it from your vet, or if he/she is not available you would need to have Seamus seen by another vet in order for it to legally be prescribed.

If you know which joints are sore, it may be beneficial to put an ice pack or a pack of frozen peas on the sore joint(s) for about 10 minutes a few times over the day. That may help somewhat.

I wish I could give you more help, but unfortunately there is not much more that I can think of that can be done.

Dr. Marie,

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I appreciate it.

All the best,
Megan

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (10551 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Is my dog dying? My dog vomitted yesterday, then she had a very loose stool in my kitchen. She never... (33064 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (4547 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (15732 views)

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (9281 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (16860 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (11950 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (12013 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (15095 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (33178 views)