Cat not eating much.

Breed: Non especific
Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the past 3 months i have been feeding him with a pet food named Orijen 6 fish because it doesn't have any of the components he is allergic to. For the past 2 days,chocolate as decreased drastically the amount of food per day he eats to about half of the quantity he used to. I'm worried that this might be another allergic reaction to some coponent of this food. He doesn't have any other symptoms. If i offer him some wet food he eat it. Sould i worry? Thanks. Sorry for my bad english. I'm portuguese.
Ana Vilela

Hi Ana,

There's no need to worry about your English at all. I can understand you perfectly!

It is always hard to know what is going on when a cat loses his appetite. When a cat doesn't want to eat his normal amount there is almost always a medical reason for it. In other words, cats rarely just decide that they don't want to eat.

What I can't tell you though is whether or not this is due to his food allergy. I find that most cats with food allergies will have diarrhea and sometimes itchy skin. If he is not having those symptoms then there is likely to be another reason for the lack of appetite.

Here are some things to consider:

1. Have you recently bought a new bag of food? Sometimes a new bag can be "off" and a cat can refuse to eat it because of this. If this is the case, then trying a new food is a good idea. If he will eat a new food then I would take back your bag of Orijen and get a new one.

2. Are you near the end of the bag of food? If so, sometimes a food can go stale or mouldy if you have had it for more than 3-4 weeks. Again, try a new food and if that works it is time to buy a new bag of his regular food.

3. Does Chocolate go outside? The most common reason for an outdoor kitty to go off of his food is if he has been bitten or scratched by another cat and has an infection. Often, we can't see the actual bite or scratch. If he does go outside then I'd recommend a vet checkup for him as he may need some antibiotics.

There are other possible reasons for him to go off of his food such as a condition called pancreatitis, or a foreign object in his stomach or a number of other reasons.

I think it is a great idea to try him with some new food. Wet food is not a bad idea, just to see if he will eat. If he eats that but then after a day or two starts to refuse it, or if he refuses it altogether then this tells me that he should see the doctor.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks a lot for your response. He doesn't go outside. And the bag of food he is been eating now is the same one he was eating 2 days ago. Thats why i was worried. The thing is he doesn't search for the food but sometimes if i put the food in front of him he eats some. I'mworried. I will wait for 2 days or so, but if this behaviour continues i will take him to the vet. My concern is that the last time he lost is apetite i had to feed him with a syringe for almost 3 months. Thanks for you time.
Ana Vilela

I think that is a good plan. If he completely loses his appetite or if he continues like this for another 24-48 hours then I think it's best to have the vet take a look at him.

If a cat goes off of his food for too long he is at risk for a serious condition called fatty liver.

I hope he feels better soon!

Ana Vilela

Ooops...somehow your reply got added twice. You can see my reply above.

If he doesn't get better, according to you, what should i ask the vet for? Some x-ray or blood analysis? Or something else? Thanks!

Really, it will depend on the vet's exam and they will advise you on what tests are best.

They likely will want to do some blood work as this can tell us a lot. If on the physical exam it feels like there is pain or a foreign object in his abdomen then they will probably want to do some xrays.

If he has a fever, then they probably will want to do blood tests but may decide to just put him on antibiotics.

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (32866 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (26614 views)

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (24946 views)

Dog had a seizure. My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack... (13604 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (8849 views)

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (14678 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (16432 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (21752 views)

Dog can't pee after accident. brandy got ran over about 4 days ago,,, she is walking with a lamp,,, eating and... (15339 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (8426 views)