Cat not eating much.

Breed: Non especific
Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the past 3 months i have been feeding him with a pet food named Orijen 6 fish because it doesn't have any of the components he is allergic to. For the past 2 days,chocolate as decreased drastically the amount of food per day he eats to about half of the quantity he used to. I'm worried that this might be another allergic reaction to some coponent of this food. He doesn't have any other symptoms. If i offer him some wet food he eat it. Sould i worry? Thanks. Sorry for my bad english. I'm portuguese.
Ana Vilela

Hi Ana,

There's no need to worry about your English at all. I can understand you perfectly!

It is always hard to know what is going on when a cat loses his appetite. When a cat doesn't want to eat his normal amount there is almost always a medical reason for it. In other words, cats rarely just decide that they don't want to eat.

What I can't tell you though is whether or not this is due to his food allergy. I find that most cats with food allergies will have diarrhea and sometimes itchy skin. If he is not having those symptoms then there is likely to be another reason for the lack of appetite.

Here are some things to consider:

1. Have you recently bought a new bag of food? Sometimes a new bag can be "off" and a cat can refuse to eat it because of this. If this is the case, then trying a new food is a good idea. If he will eat a new food then I would take back your bag of Orijen and get a new one.

2. Are you near the end of the bag of food? If so, sometimes a food can go stale or mouldy if you have had it for more than 3-4 weeks. Again, try a new food and if that works it is time to buy a new bag of his regular food.

3. Does Chocolate go outside? The most common reason for an outdoor kitty to go off of his food is if he has been bitten or scratched by another cat and has an infection. Often, we can't see the actual bite or scratch. If he does go outside then I'd recommend a vet checkup for him as he may need some antibiotics.

There are other possible reasons for him to go off of his food such as a condition called pancreatitis, or a foreign object in his stomach or a number of other reasons.

I think it is a great idea to try him with some new food. Wet food is not a bad idea, just to see if he will eat. If he eats that but then after a day or two starts to refuse it, or if he refuses it altogether then this tells me that he should see the doctor.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks a lot for your response. He doesn't go outside. And the bag of food he is been eating now is the same one he was eating 2 days ago. Thats why i was worried. The thing is he doesn't search for the food but sometimes if i put the food in front of him he eats some. I'mworried. I will wait for 2 days or so, but if this behaviour continues i will take him to the vet. My concern is that the last time he lost is apetite i had to feed him with a syringe for almost 3 months. Thanks for you time.
Ana Vilela

I think that is a good plan. If he completely loses his appetite or if he continues like this for another 24-48 hours then I think it's best to have the vet take a look at him.

If a cat goes off of his food for too long he is at risk for a serious condition called fatty liver.

I hope he feels better soon!

Ana Vilela

Ooops...somehow your reply got added twice. You can see my reply above.

If he doesn't get better, according to you, what should i ask the vet for? Some x-ray or blood analysis? Or something else? Thanks!

Really, it will depend on the vet's exam and they will advise you on what tests are best.

They likely will want to do some blood work as this can tell us a lot. If on the physical exam it feels like there is pain or a foreign object in his abdomen then they will probably want to do some xrays.

If he has a fever, then they probably will want to do blood tests but may decide to just put him on antibiotics.

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (75116 views)

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (10852 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (30665 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (12206 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (7229 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (7700 views)

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (29666 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (10313 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (10977 views)

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (8638 views)