Lump where umbilicus was.

Breed: British shorthair
Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the umbilical cord was attached there is a small hard lump about half the size of a 5p. The other kittens have all lost there cords and have no lumps or bumps at all. There is no puss or discharge coming away and it doesnt seem to be causing any discomfort. Could it be a hernia or is it likely just the remainder of the cord. Thanks Jenny

Hi Jenny! Thanks for your question!

What you are seeing is likely nothing to worry about. With most hernias, we are able to push the lump into a hole. However, sometimes there can be a tiny hole where some fat sticks out and if the whole is really small the fat doesn't go back in. When this happens, it is not a health concern for the cat. However, we usually do repair it when the cat is spayed or neutered.

While it is possible that there is some cord that has not fallen off, it does sound like this is a very small hernia. If the lump is under the skin, then it's likely a hernia.

I have seen some hernias that do repair themselves over time so there is a small chance that the lump will go away over the next couple of months. However, most likely this will not go away.

I hope that information helps! If you have more questions, let me know!

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (8392 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (4182 views)

Dog drinks every 20 minutes. I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating... (15651 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (13004 views)

Sudden death. My 3-yr old robust, healthy male house cat suddenly dropped dead in the middle of... (18546 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (31298 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (9449 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (18224 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (7943 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (21264 views)