Lump where umbilicus was.

Breed: British shorthair
Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the umbilical cord was attached there is a small hard lump about half the size of a 5p. The other kittens have all lost there cords and have no lumps or bumps at all. There is no puss or discharge coming away and it doesnt seem to be causing any discomfort. Could it be a hernia or is it likely just the remainder of the cord. Thanks Jenny

Hi Jenny! Thanks for your question!

What you are seeing is likely nothing to worry about. With most hernias, we are able to push the lump into a hole. However, sometimes there can be a tiny hole where some fat sticks out and if the whole is really small the fat doesn't go back in. When this happens, it is not a health concern for the cat. However, we usually do repair it when the cat is spayed or neutered.

While it is possible that there is some cord that has not fallen off, it does sound like this is a very small hernia. If the lump is under the skin, then it's likely a hernia.

I have seen some hernias that do repair themselves over time so there is a small chance that the lump will go away over the next couple of months. However, most likely this will not go away.

I hope that information helps! If you have more questions, let me know!

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (54014 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (7742 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (40254 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (19936 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7693 views)

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (236946 views)

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (19022 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (15213 views)

Bald on belly. My cat is around seven years old and recently started going bald on her stomach.... (10750 views)

Incontinence and balance issues. We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started... (16874 views)