Lump where umbilicus was.

Breed: British shorthair
Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the umbilical cord was attached there is a small hard lump about half the size of a 5p. The other kittens have all lost there cords and have no lumps or bumps at all. There is no puss or discharge coming away and it doesnt seem to be causing any discomfort. Could it be a hernia or is it likely just the remainder of the cord. Thanks Jenny

Hi Jenny! Thanks for your question!

What you are seeing is likely nothing to worry about. With most hernias, we are able to push the lump into a hole. However, sometimes there can be a tiny hole where some fat sticks out and if the whole is really small the fat doesn't go back in. When this happens, it is not a health concern for the cat. However, we usually do repair it when the cat is spayed or neutered.

While it is possible that there is some cord that has not fallen off, it does sound like this is a very small hernia. If the lump is under the skin, then it's likely a hernia.

I have seen some hernias that do repair themselves over time so there is a small chance that the lump will go away over the next couple of months. However, most likely this will not go away.

I hope that information helps! If you have more questions, let me know!

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (43778 views)

Did cherry eye surgery fail? My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this... (24169 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (7520 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (56626 views)

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (10900 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (9304 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (7938 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (8826 views)

Dachshund with seizures. Gina had an episode that looked like a seizure about 1.5 years ago for a first time.... (11335 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (12660 views)