Lump where umbilicus was.

Breed: British shorthair
Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the umbilical cord was attached there is a small hard lump about half the size of a 5p. The other kittens have all lost there cords and have no lumps or bumps at all. There is no puss or discharge coming away and it doesnt seem to be causing any discomfort. Could it be a hernia or is it likely just the remainder of the cord. Thanks Jenny

Hi Jenny! Thanks for your question!

What you are seeing is likely nothing to worry about. With most hernias, we are able to push the lump into a hole. However, sometimes there can be a tiny hole where some fat sticks out and if the whole is really small the fat doesn't go back in. When this happens, it is not a health concern for the cat. However, we usually do repair it when the cat is spayed or neutered.

While it is possible that there is some cord that has not fallen off, it does sound like this is a very small hernia. If the lump is under the skin, then it's likely a hernia.

I have seen some hernias that do repair themselves over time so there is a small chance that the lump will go away over the next couple of months. However, most likely this will not go away.

I hope that information helps! If you have more questions, let me know!

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (7786 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (5098 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (18499 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (5879 views)

Hyperesthesia syndrome? I have a unique situation. Recently I have moved to a new apt 3 hours away from... (4689 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (8653 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (5099 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (10457 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (20074 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (15909 views)