Lump where umbilicus was.

Breed: British shorthair
Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the umbilical cord was attached there is a small hard lump about half the size of a 5p. The other kittens have all lost there cords and have no lumps or bumps at all. There is no puss or discharge coming away and it doesnt seem to be causing any discomfort. Could it be a hernia or is it likely just the remainder of the cord. Thanks Jenny

Hi Jenny! Thanks for your question!

What you are seeing is likely nothing to worry about. With most hernias, we are able to push the lump into a hole. However, sometimes there can be a tiny hole where some fat sticks out and if the whole is really small the fat doesn't go back in. When this happens, it is not a health concern for the cat. However, we usually do repair it when the cat is spayed or neutered.

While it is possible that there is some cord that has not fallen off, it does sound like this is a very small hernia. If the lump is under the skin, then it's likely a hernia.

I have seen some hernias that do repair themselves over time so there is a small chance that the lump will go away over the next couple of months. However, most likely this will not go away.

I hope that information helps! If you have more questions, let me know!

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (4485 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (4289 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (25351 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome hi i had my cat spayed a year ago and she went back into heat (full blown moaning... (15359 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (37742 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (9768 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (10945 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (6987 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (7147 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (24900 views)