Not eating losing weight.

Breed: DSH
Age: 13 months
Weight: 8 1/2 pounds
He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May. He is a VERY picky eater. I have him on Wellness Grain Free wet/dry. Breakfast at 8 am, dinner at 8 pm. Meals were 1/3 of a 5.5 oz can, but he had trouble finishing in a timely manner (1/2 hour). Always leaving and having to be brought back before it spoiled. Dry food as an afternoon nibble (less than 1/2 cup, usually a 1/4). I *think* I've narrowed it down to the wet flavors he likes (Turkey, Chicken, Chicken & Herring). Still, mealtime is a complete struggle. He is painfully shy and will not eat if there is a stranger in the house (my son's friend has been here for hours today, and he bolted upstairs and hid under the bed in my daughter's room for 9 hours). My daughter is coming home from college for a week long visit in 1 1/2 weeks. I'm worried he won't remember her and freak out over a "stranger". But then my mother-in-law is visiting at the exact same time. Toki has never met her. I'm worried he will be so out of sorts that he will not eat well, and lose even more weight. Should I just ditch the wet since it's such a struggle and stick with dry? He has a water fountain.

I do tend to get worried when a cat has a reduced appetite and is also losing weight. This is usually a sign of a medical problem. With that being said, if he is eating his dry food then it is perfectly ok to just give him dry food. But, if it was just that he didn't like wet food this shouldn't cause him to lose weight. Losing half a pound in one month is very significant.

I would highly recommend having a vet examine Toki and perhaps have a blood profile run on him to make sure that there are no obvious health issues.

With young cats who have a reduced appetite and weight loss I get worried about a disease called FIP but there are also other possibilities.

It is possible that the lack of appetite is due to stress or fear, but I would rule out medical reasons first. If he likes to go and hide under the bed perhaps you could consider placing some dry food in a bowl under the bed?

You can also look into a product called Feliway which can help to reduce stress levels in cats but it is not a miracle product.

I hope everything works out ok for him.

Thank you for your reply. I took Toki to the vet yesterday and he got a full exam including blood work. The vet said he is stressed. Probably due to people he doesn't know being in the house, lately. I just got some Feliway and some calming treats. I also went to an Asian grocery store and got some dried fish flakes to sprinkle on his wet food. This helped him eat his dinner last night and breakfast this morning. The vet also wants me to leave more dry food out for him to nibble on.
So, I think he is going to be okay. Thank you so very much for your time.

Well that is good news that there is no serious medical issue! Sounds like a good plan. I hope things improve soon.

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (7347 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (9486 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (22605 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (4599 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (9466 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (15128 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (167115 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (19619 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (26190 views)

Bump on ribcage. Hello, I noticed today that the kitten has a hard bone like rounded bump right where... (15985 views)