Not eating losing weight.

Breed: DSH
Age: 13 months
Weight: 8 1/2 pounds
He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May. He is a VERY picky eater. I have him on Wellness Grain Free wet/dry. Breakfast at 8 am, dinner at 8 pm. Meals were 1/3 of a 5.5 oz can, but he had trouble finishing in a timely manner (1/2 hour). Always leaving and having to be brought back before it spoiled. Dry food as an afternoon nibble (less than 1/2 cup, usually a 1/4). I *think* I've narrowed it down to the wet flavors he likes (Turkey, Chicken, Chicken & Herring). Still, mealtime is a complete struggle. He is painfully shy and will not eat if there is a stranger in the house (my son's friend has been here for hours today, and he bolted upstairs and hid under the bed in my daughter's room for 9 hours). My daughter is coming home from college for a week long visit in 1 1/2 weeks. I'm worried he won't remember her and freak out over a "stranger". But then my mother-in-law is visiting at the exact same time. Toki has never met her. I'm worried he will be so out of sorts that he will not eat well, and lose even more weight. Should I just ditch the wet since it's such a struggle and stick with dry? He has a water fountain.

I do tend to get worried when a cat has a reduced appetite and is also losing weight. This is usually a sign of a medical problem. With that being said, if he is eating his dry food then it is perfectly ok to just give him dry food. But, if it was just that he didn't like wet food this shouldn't cause him to lose weight. Losing half a pound in one month is very significant.

I would highly recommend having a vet examine Toki and perhaps have a blood profile run on him to make sure that there are no obvious health issues.

With young cats who have a reduced appetite and weight loss I get worried about a disease called FIP but there are also other possibilities.

It is possible that the lack of appetite is due to stress or fear, but I would rule out medical reasons first. If he likes to go and hide under the bed perhaps you could consider placing some dry food in a bowl under the bed?

You can also look into a product called Feliway which can help to reduce stress levels in cats but it is not a miracle product.

I hope everything works out ok for him.

Thank you for your reply. I took Toki to the vet yesterday and he got a full exam including blood work. The vet said he is stressed. Probably due to people he doesn't know being in the house, lately. I just got some Feliway and some calming treats. I also went to an Asian grocery store and got some dried fish flakes to sprinkle on his wet food. This helped him eat his dinner last night and breakfast this morning. The vet also wants me to leave more dry food out for him to nibble on.
So, I think he is going to be okay. Thank you so very much for your time.

Well that is good news that there is no serious medical issue! Sounds like a good plan. I hope things improve soon.

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (21451 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (14496 views)

Cat meows constantly. Hello- Our 8 year old male cat meows constantly, and he does things like dribble... (12425 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (9238 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (10198 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (8574 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (21926 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (14122 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (9916 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (23313 views)