Cat won't eat or drink.

Breed: don't know
Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink and he does not have ulcers in his throat. He is using his litter box. Do you have any idea what is wrong with him?

Sorry to hear that your cat is not feeling well.

I always get concerned when a cat does not want to eat or drink. Unfortunately it usually means there is a medical problem and usually a vet visit is necessary.

Does Licorice go outside? If so then the first thing I would think of is an infected wound from a fight with another cat. Often when this happens we don't see the actual wound, as the skin wound heals over but then there can be infection in the muscle underneath. The way we treat this is with antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

It's also possible that he got into something toxic to his liver or kidneys. Common toxins include houseplants such as certain types of lilies or antifreeze, but there are other possibilities. Anything with xylitol (a sweetener) can be very toxic to the liver.

Some cats will go off of their food because of stress (i.e. new visitors in the house), but this is usually a slow process and usually they will still drink.

I would highly advise a visit to the vet as soon as possible. In many cases, early treatment can mean the difference between outpatient treatment with medication and expensive in hospital treatment.

Until you can get there you can try to tempt him to eat by offering heated up canned food or baby food (with no onions or garlic).

I really hope he is ok!

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (24967 views)

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (10063 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (38672 views)

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (10422 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (31416 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (5002 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (16997 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (15907 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (7100 views)

Is hamster hibernating or dead? My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her... (51960 views)