Cat won't eat or drink.

Breed: don't know
Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink and he does not have ulcers in his throat. He is using his litter box. Do you have any idea what is wrong with him?

Sorry to hear that your cat is not feeling well.

I always get concerned when a cat does not want to eat or drink. Unfortunately it usually means there is a medical problem and usually a vet visit is necessary.

Does Licorice go outside? If so then the first thing I would think of is an infected wound from a fight with another cat. Often when this happens we don't see the actual wound, as the skin wound heals over but then there can be infection in the muscle underneath. The way we treat this is with antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

It's also possible that he got into something toxic to his liver or kidneys. Common toxins include houseplants such as certain types of lilies or antifreeze, but there are other possibilities. Anything with xylitol (a sweetener) can be very toxic to the liver.

Some cats will go off of their food because of stress (i.e. new visitors in the house), but this is usually a slow process and usually they will still drink.

I would highly advise a visit to the vet as soon as possible. In many cases, early treatment can mean the difference between outpatient treatment with medication and expensive in hospital treatment.

Until you can get there you can try to tempt him to eat by offering heated up canned food or baby food (with no onions or garlic).

I really hope he is ok!

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (10056 views)

Black spot on tongue. My dog, Bogey, has developed a black spot on his tongue about 3 months ago. It was a... (23775 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (9476 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (13168 views)

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (136821 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (10282 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (5056 views)

Can I deworm a nursing female dog? BB is nursing 3 week old pups,can she be wormed while... (40351 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (15126 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (15506 views)