Cat won't eat or drink.

Breed: don't know
Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink and he does not have ulcers in his throat. He is using his litter box. Do you have any idea what is wrong with him?

Sorry to hear that your cat is not feeling well.

I always get concerned when a cat does not want to eat or drink. Unfortunately it usually means there is a medical problem and usually a vet visit is necessary.

Does Licorice go outside? If so then the first thing I would think of is an infected wound from a fight with another cat. Often when this happens we don't see the actual wound, as the skin wound heals over but then there can be infection in the muscle underneath. The way we treat this is with antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

It's also possible that he got into something toxic to his liver or kidneys. Common toxins include houseplants such as certain types of lilies or antifreeze, but there are other possibilities. Anything with xylitol (a sweetener) can be very toxic to the liver.

Some cats will go off of their food because of stress (i.e. new visitors in the house), but this is usually a slow process and usually they will still drink.

I would highly advise a visit to the vet as soon as possible. In many cases, early treatment can mean the difference between outpatient treatment with medication and expensive in hospital treatment.

Until you can get there you can try to tempt him to eat by offering heated up canned food or baby food (with no onions or garlic).

I really hope he is ok!

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (71729 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (6669 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (6033 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (29129 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in pregnancy. My dog has had 1 or 2 ties and it's been about a week now and she's starting to have... (5699 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (12380 views)

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (5901 views)

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (10474 views)

Bump on dog's neck. Hello, I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is... (103239 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (11979 views)