Cat won't eat or drink.

Breed: don't know
Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink and he does not have ulcers in his throat. He is using his litter box. Do you have any idea what is wrong with him?

Sorry to hear that your cat is not feeling well.

I always get concerned when a cat does not want to eat or drink. Unfortunately it usually means there is a medical problem and usually a vet visit is necessary.

Does Licorice go outside? If so then the first thing I would think of is an infected wound from a fight with another cat. Often when this happens we don't see the actual wound, as the skin wound heals over but then there can be infection in the muscle underneath. The way we treat this is with antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

It's also possible that he got into something toxic to his liver or kidneys. Common toxins include houseplants such as certain types of lilies or antifreeze, but there are other possibilities. Anything with xylitol (a sweetener) can be very toxic to the liver.

Some cats will go off of their food because of stress (i.e. new visitors in the house), but this is usually a slow process and usually they will still drink.

I would highly advise a visit to the vet as soon as possible. In many cases, early treatment can mean the difference between outpatient treatment with medication and expensive in hospital treatment.

Until you can get there you can try to tempt him to eat by offering heated up canned food or baby food (with no onions or garlic).

I really hope he is ok!

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (24202 views)

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (219454 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7707 views)

Older dog acting strange. I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The... (11006 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (8003 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (8145 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (14472 views)

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (31016 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7236 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (11776 views)