Ear problems.

Breed: Shuzzitszu
Charlie has possibly caught ear mites. He his continuously scratching for minutes with whimpering My Neighbour had the ear drops from a Vet I cleaned his ears there was dry blood. I have been using the Ear mite & tick control from the pet store. I know he has to be taking to the vet. I’m not sure if you’re in the U.S or Canada but it’s probably the same price. Just to see him almost 500$ for one visit I do not have the money. My question is, Is there anyway or anywhere I can get help or get him in to the vet or any home remedies?

Sorry to hear that Charlie is having these issues!

$500 for a vet visit does not seem right. You may want to look for another vet. In my practice you would be paying about $60 for the visit. I would likely do some tests on the ears which may cost about $30-$50 and then the medication would be about $30-$50.

If Charlie is not improving with ear mite medication it is possible that what we are dealing with is a bacterial or a yeast infection. Unfortunately there is no over the counter medication that is effective for these conditions.

A vet visit is definitely necessary. When you see your vet, let them know right away that you are on a tight budget. Most vets will be willing to work with your budget.

I hope he does ok!

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (11272 views)

Puppy walking in circles. Cj ended. Up missing found him at the shelter his ears(normally lay down) are... (13328 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (12931 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (5937 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (16477 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (14408 views)

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (19381 views)

Mast cell tumor. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up... (10752 views)

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (7916 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (14567 views)