Red lump between dog's toes.

Breed: Labrado Retriever
Hello

I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third toes on his right paw and he keeps liking on it. It sometimes bleeds.
Could you tell me what it could be? ( tumor maybe )?
what can I do to make it go away?
Should I take him to a vet?

Other than that, he is happy, healthy and energetic.

Thank you

Hi Seulki...thanks so much for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about lumps like this without actually seeing your dog, but I can give you a few ideas as to what it may be.

Thankfully, my first thought is that it is unlikely to be a tumor...it's still a possibility but there are other things that I think of before tumor.

One possibility is that it could be a reaction to a foreign object such as a splinter or thorn or piece of glass. If that is the case, the body builds up tissue around it and it gets really inflamed and itchy. Some foreign bodies go away with meds prescribed by the vet (antibiotics) but some of them do need to be surgically removed.

Another possibility is something called an interdigital cyst. We don't really know why these appear but they act very similar to a foreign body. Some go away with antibiotics (and sometimes some steroid as well) and some need surgery.

And then the next possibility is a tumor of some sort. Some types of tumors in this area can be very serious and some can be cured with surgery.

I would definitely advise a vet visit. The sooner this gets dealt with the better! In the meantime, there is no harm in trying some epsom salt soaks 2-3 x per day until your vet visit. This may help to reduce the inflammation.

I hope Sam does ok!

Old cat with lump on paw. Our family cat is 13 to 15 years old. within the last two weeks she has lost her... (7431 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (8274 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (70144 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (17006 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (11316 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (15830 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8534 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (15949 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (8551 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (10426 views)