Red lump between dog's toes.

Breed: Labrado Retriever
Hello

I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third toes on his right paw and he keeps liking on it. It sometimes bleeds.
Could you tell me what it could be? ( tumor maybe )?
what can I do to make it go away?
Should I take him to a vet?

Other than that, he is happy, healthy and energetic.

Thank you

Hi Seulki...thanks so much for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about lumps like this without actually seeing your dog, but I can give you a few ideas as to what it may be.

Thankfully, my first thought is that it is unlikely to be a tumor...it's still a possibility but there are other things that I think of before tumor.

One possibility is that it could be a reaction to a foreign object such as a splinter or thorn or piece of glass. If that is the case, the body builds up tissue around it and it gets really inflamed and itchy. Some foreign bodies go away with meds prescribed by the vet (antibiotics) but some of them do need to be surgically removed.

Another possibility is something called an interdigital cyst. We don't really know why these appear but they act very similar to a foreign body. Some go away with antibiotics (and sometimes some steroid as well) and some need surgery.

And then the next possibility is a tumor of some sort. Some types of tumors in this area can be very serious and some can be cured with surgery.

I would definitely advise a vet visit. The sooner this gets dealt with the better! In the meantime, there is no harm in trying some epsom salt soaks 2-3 x per day until your vet visit. This may help to reduce the inflammation.

I hope Sam does ok!

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (11596 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (19389 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (7248 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (134803 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (10651 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5208 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (21424 views)

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (4350 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (12965 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (6163 views)