Red lump between dog's toes.

Breed: Labrado Retriever
Hello

I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third toes on his right paw and he keeps liking on it. It sometimes bleeds.
Could you tell me what it could be? ( tumor maybe )?
what can I do to make it go away?
Should I take him to a vet?

Other than that, he is happy, healthy and energetic.

Thank you

Hi Seulki...thanks so much for your question. It's always hard to answer questions about lumps like this without actually seeing your dog, but I can give you a few ideas as to what it may be.

Thankfully, my first thought is that it is unlikely to be a tumor...it's still a possibility but there are other things that I think of before tumor.

One possibility is that it could be a reaction to a foreign object such as a splinter or thorn or piece of glass. If that is the case, the body builds up tissue around it and it gets really inflamed and itchy. Some foreign bodies go away with meds prescribed by the vet (antibiotics) but some of them do need to be surgically removed.

Another possibility is something called an interdigital cyst. We don't really know why these appear but they act very similar to a foreign body. Some go away with antibiotics (and sometimes some steroid as well) and some need surgery.

And then the next possibility is a tumor of some sort. Some types of tumors in this area can be very serious and some can be cured with surgery.

I would definitely advise a vet visit. The sooner this gets dealt with the better! In the meantime, there is no harm in trying some epsom salt soaks 2-3 x per day until your vet visit. This may help to reduce the inflammation.

I hope Sam does ok!

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (12191 views)

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (235406 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (32775 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (8914 views)

Horrible euthanasia experience Why was my pets euthanasia a nightmare? I brought my cat Jack in for euthanasia... (9442 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (6778 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (11317 views)

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (10150 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (57870 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (7247 views)