Best cat foods.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like fat. So I'd like to maintain that weight. He isn't very active.

My other cat is 10 pounds and about 1 1/2 years old. He is a very slim, very active cat.

Then I have a kitten who is about 2 pounds and maybe 10 weeks old.

I prefer to feed them wet food, because they don't seem too interested in drinking water. If they do, but it's not much.

So how much should I be feeding them? And maybe you could recommend a good brand?

I tried Hill's Science diet for a year, and had no problems, but recently read bad reviews. So I switched to Blue Buffalo.

It sounds like you are doing a great job with your cats. Cat nutrition is a controversial subject. If you ask 10 different people you'll get 10 different opinions. AND...even if you ask 10 different vets you'll get 10 different opinions. So, I'll give you my opinion based on what I have seen over the years.

I am actually not a fan of Blue Buffalo. I have seen some animals that do not do well on it. What I mostly see are animals that have issues with loose stools that clear up once they switch to a different food. And I feel that their marketing is deceptive. Still, some animals do do well on it and if your cats are enjoying it and have solid stools then it is probably a decent choice.

You'll read a lot of bad stuff online about the common brands, but very little of this is based on fact and experience. What I have found over a couple of decades of seeing patients and knowing what diets that they are on is that there are a few foods that consistently produce a healthy coat and stools. My recommended foods are:

-Royal Canin
-Hill's Science Diet
-Iams

As soon as I say that there are usually a number of arguments that come up. Most of them are based on the belief of internet rumors. So, here are a few articles that I wrote that may be helpful:

Does IAMS test on animals? Is it a good food?

The truth about chicken byproducts in pet foods.

Everything you need to know about corn in pet foods.

I usually do recommend a combination of dry and wet food, but really, as long as they are on a good quality diet, either is fine.

Thanks! I'll be looking into one of those brands, they didn't seem to be doing so bad on the Hill's food.

But, if I feed them twice a day, how much should they be eating?? Maybe dry in the morning and then wet at night?

The amount really depends on which food you are feeding. Every bag or can of food will come with a guide that tells you how much to feed according to your cat's weight.

What we do with our cats is put out their full allotment of dry food in the morning and let them snack on that throughout the day. Then, we will give them some wet food in the evening.

Should I adjust portions depending on their activity levels?

thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. How much to feed them is something I've been a little frustrated over for months..

You're very welcome. In general the recommendations for the amounts to feed that come on the bag or can have a bit of a range. If you have active cats then they can probably eat at the high end of that range but if you have a sedentary cat then the low end is best.

White urine in guinea pig. My Guinea Pigs urine is a white color (or possibly cloudy). Is this something we... (45654 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (63927 views)

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (241747 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (30523 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (12602 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (81327 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (10006 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (23254 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (26639 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (4887 views)