Best cat foods.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like fat. So I'd like to maintain that weight. He isn't very active.

My other cat is 10 pounds and about 1 1/2 years old. He is a very slim, very active cat.

Then I have a kitten who is about 2 pounds and maybe 10 weeks old.

I prefer to feed them wet food, because they don't seem too interested in drinking water. If they do, but it's not much.

So how much should I be feeding them? And maybe you could recommend a good brand?

I tried Hill's Science diet for a year, and had no problems, but recently read bad reviews. So I switched to Blue Buffalo.

It sounds like you are doing a great job with your cats. Cat nutrition is a controversial subject. If you ask 10 different people you'll get 10 different opinions. AND...even if you ask 10 different vets you'll get 10 different opinions. So, I'll give you my opinion based on what I have seen over the years.

I am actually not a fan of Blue Buffalo. I have seen some animals that do not do well on it. What I mostly see are animals that have issues with loose stools that clear up once they switch to a different food. And I feel that their marketing is deceptive. Still, some animals do do well on it and if your cats are enjoying it and have solid stools then it is probably a decent choice.

You'll read a lot of bad stuff online about the common brands, but very little of this is based on fact and experience. What I have found over a couple of decades of seeing patients and knowing what diets that they are on is that there are a few foods that consistently produce a healthy coat and stools. My recommended foods are:

-Royal Canin
-Hill's Science Diet
-Iams

As soon as I say that there are usually a number of arguments that come up. Most of them are based on the belief of internet rumors. So, here are a few articles that I wrote that may be helpful:

Does IAMS test on animals? Is it a good food?

The truth about chicken byproducts in pet foods.

Everything you need to know about corn in pet foods.

I usually do recommend a combination of dry and wet food, but really, as long as they are on a good quality diet, either is fine.

Thanks! I'll be looking into one of those brands, they didn't seem to be doing so bad on the Hill's food.

But, if I feed them twice a day, how much should they be eating?? Maybe dry in the morning and then wet at night?

The amount really depends on which food you are feeding. Every bag or can of food will come with a guide that tells you how much to feed according to your cat's weight.

What we do with our cats is put out their full allotment of dry food in the morning and let them snack on that throughout the day. Then, we will give them some wet food in the evening.

Should I adjust portions depending on their activity levels?

thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. How much to feed them is something I've been a little frustrated over for months..

You're very welcome. In general the recommendations for the amounts to feed that come on the bag or can have a bit of a range. If you have active cats then they can probably eat at the high end of that range but if you have a sedentary cat then the low end is best.

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (8415 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (17189 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (27053 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (20374 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (17476 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (9029 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (40795 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (10656 views)

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (7774 views)

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (74053 views)