Best cat foods.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like fat. So I'd like to maintain that weight. He isn't very active.

My other cat is 10 pounds and about 1 1/2 years old. He is a very slim, very active cat.

Then I have a kitten who is about 2 pounds and maybe 10 weeks old.

I prefer to feed them wet food, because they don't seem too interested in drinking water. If they do, but it's not much.

So how much should I be feeding them? And maybe you could recommend a good brand?

I tried Hill's Science diet for a year, and had no problems, but recently read bad reviews. So I switched to Blue Buffalo.

It sounds like you are doing a great job with your cats. Cat nutrition is a controversial subject. If you ask 10 different people you'll get 10 different opinions. AND...even if you ask 10 different vets you'll get 10 different opinions. So, I'll give you my opinion based on what I have seen over the years.

I am actually not a fan of Blue Buffalo. I have seen some animals that do not do well on it. What I mostly see are animals that have issues with loose stools that clear up once they switch to a different food. And I feel that their marketing is deceptive. Still, some animals do do well on it and if your cats are enjoying it and have solid stools then it is probably a decent choice.

You'll read a lot of bad stuff online about the common brands, but very little of this is based on fact and experience. What I have found over a couple of decades of seeing patients and knowing what diets that they are on is that there are a few foods that consistently produce a healthy coat and stools. My recommended foods are:

-Royal Canin
-Hill's Science Diet
-Iams

As soon as I say that there are usually a number of arguments that come up. Most of them are based on the belief of internet rumors. So, here are a few articles that I wrote that may be helpful:

Does IAMS test on animals? Is it a good food?

The truth about chicken byproducts in pet foods.

Everything you need to know about corn in pet foods.

I usually do recommend a combination of dry and wet food, but really, as long as they are on a good quality diet, either is fine.

Thanks! I'll be looking into one of those brands, they didn't seem to be doing so bad on the Hill's food.

But, if I feed them twice a day, how much should they be eating?? Maybe dry in the morning and then wet at night?

The amount really depends on which food you are feeding. Every bag or can of food will come with a guide that tells you how much to feed according to your cat's weight.

What we do with our cats is put out their full allotment of dry food in the morning and let them snack on that throughout the day. Then, we will give them some wet food in the evening.

Should I adjust portions depending on their activity levels?

thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. How much to feed them is something I've been a little frustrated over for months..

You're very welcome. In general the recommendations for the amounts to feed that come on the bag or can have a bit of a range. If you have active cats then they can probably eat at the high end of that range but if you have a sedentary cat then the low end is best.

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (8485 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (7423 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (65858 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (15875 views)

Vomiting and bloody stool. We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have... (12484 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (38665 views)

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (19007 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (5943 views)

See the vet for dog bite? Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed... (3507 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (37055 views)