Best cat foods.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like fat. So I'd like to maintain that weight. He isn't very active.

My other cat is 10 pounds and about 1 1/2 years old. He is a very slim, very active cat.

Then I have a kitten who is about 2 pounds and maybe 10 weeks old.

I prefer to feed them wet food, because they don't seem too interested in drinking water. If they do, but it's not much.

So how much should I be feeding them? And maybe you could recommend a good brand?

I tried Hill's Science diet for a year, and had no problems, but recently read bad reviews. So I switched to Blue Buffalo.

It sounds like you are doing a great job with your cats. Cat nutrition is a controversial subject. If you ask 10 different people you'll get 10 different opinions. AND...even if you ask 10 different vets you'll get 10 different opinions. So, I'll give you my opinion based on what I have seen over the years.

I am actually not a fan of Blue Buffalo. I have seen some animals that do not do well on it. What I mostly see are animals that have issues with loose stools that clear up once they switch to a different food. And I feel that their marketing is deceptive. Still, some animals do do well on it and if your cats are enjoying it and have solid stools then it is probably a decent choice.

You'll read a lot of bad stuff online about the common brands, but very little of this is based on fact and experience. What I have found over a couple of decades of seeing patients and knowing what diets that they are on is that there are a few foods that consistently produce a healthy coat and stools. My recommended foods are:

-Royal Canin
-Hill's Science Diet
-Iams

As soon as I say that there are usually a number of arguments that come up. Most of them are based on the belief of internet rumors. So, here are a few articles that I wrote that may be helpful:

Does IAMS test on animals? Is it a good food?

The truth about chicken byproducts in pet foods.

Everything you need to know about corn in pet foods.

I usually do recommend a combination of dry and wet food, but really, as long as they are on a good quality diet, either is fine.

Thanks! I'll be looking into one of those brands, they didn't seem to be doing so bad on the Hill's food.

But, if I feed them twice a day, how much should they be eating?? Maybe dry in the morning and then wet at night?

The amount really depends on which food you are feeding. Every bag or can of food will come with a guide that tells you how much to feed according to your cat's weight.

What we do with our cats is put out their full allotment of dry food in the morning and let them snack on that throughout the day. Then, we will give them some wet food in the evening.

Should I adjust portions depending on their activity levels?

thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. How much to feed them is something I've been a little frustrated over for months..

You're very welcome. In general the recommendations for the amounts to feed that come on the bag or can have a bit of a range. If you have active cats then they can probably eat at the high end of that range but if you have a sedentary cat then the low end is best.

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (62931 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (4785 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (4135 views)

Cat having back end problems. Hi Dr. Marie, It's Christmas Eve so the vet here is closed. I hope you're able to... (8966 views)

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (215273 views)

Cosequin questions Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left... (11554 views)

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (12622 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (9643 views)

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (10911 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (4228 views)