Did Frontline Fail?

Breed: chihuahua
I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I had some Frontline and applied 1/2 the dose of the treatment as my vet indicated a few years back. We stopped treating our dog with Frontline on a regular basis and only did it as a precaution depending on where we lived. She's mostly an indoors dog since we live in a city though she spends a lot of time in the balcony. I applied another 1/2 does about 23 days ago.
yesterday, when I was playing with her, I saw a couple of pink-red dots near her head in our fuzzy blanket. I touched one of them and it basically dissolved in my finger. I tried getting the other one, but I couldn't pick it up because it got buried in the blanket when I moved it. I don't think it moved. I checked her and I couldn't find anything on her. Should I be worried that the Frontline is not working. Should I give her the full dose next Monday? What should I do?
Thanks

Rosa

What you are describing doesn't really sound like fleas. It's possible, but a pink dot that dissolves in your finger isn't really like fleas or flea dirt.

Flea dirt (the feces of fleas) is actually black in color. If you put a piece of flea dirt on a paper towel and put some water on it and smear it it can look pink or sometimes rusty red. But, on the dog it will look black.

So my guess is that there is not a flea problem at all.

With that being said, I am not a fan of putting half doses of medication on dogs even if they are tiny. If the package says it is for use in dogs "up to 22 pounds" or "0-10 pounds" then it really is safe for any sized dog. Using a half dose could result in the product not working because it is conceivably possible that the active ingredient is not spread out exactly evenly throughout the vial. So, you could get one treatment with 90% of the dose and the other half could contain only 10%.

There's no harm in putting a full dose on again, even now. Keep an eye out for more fleas but I'm guessing that there is no problem.

Thank you Doctor Marie. So it's ok for me not to wait for a full dose even though it hasn't been 30 days?
I will check my dog again to make sure I don't see any flea dirt.

Yes, it is safe to reapply Frontline even if it hasn't been 30 days.

Hi Dr Marie.
I did one more check on my dog last night and I notice black specks in the urinary area. I try to clean it and see if I could remove it and while some of the stuff came off, some of it did not. I wet the few specks I got to see if they would turn red and check if it would turn red and nothing. I checked other areas of her body and I found nothing like that particular area. Should I be concerned?
Thanks

I've seen dogs often have black specks around the vaginal area and this can be normal. I am still guessing that the Frontline is doing its job.

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (107710 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (11113 views)

Is my dog pregnant? my dog had puppies about 7 months ago and i wasn't home often to make sure her and... (13944 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7368 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (7695 views)

Blood in stools. My dog has bright red blood in his stools. He is in good form, jumping around and... (9827 views)

Dog ate twigs and stuffing. Dr Marie, On Tuesday, unfortunately I had to fire the pet sitter due to... (15368 views)

Cause of high ALP? mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg... (11778 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (8081 views)

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (18996 views)