Dog cowers and pees.

Breed: miniature australian
my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks over and she runs when i walk toward her, ive never beat her just tapped her nose when she did something wringwhat do i do

Sorry to hear that Cindy is having these concerns.

It sounds like she needs help in building up some confidence. Here are some things that might help:

I would suggest that you only give her positive praise and no punishment. So, this means no more tapping her on the nose. If she does something bad then just ignore her, but don't give her negative treatment. When she does something good give her lots and lots of praise and treats.

It would be a great idea to take her to obedience classes. These will help to build up her confidence. Be sure to really reward her when she is obedient.

We need to find things that she likes to do and then do lots of it. So, if she likes to chase a ball then you play ball with her so that she can have good experiences with you.

There are a number of other things that can help but you would likely need to go in greater depth than we can get into here. You may want to talk to your vet about setting up a behavioral consult.

Hope she is improving soon!

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (7495 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (7813 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (29224 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (5154 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (9666 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (44187 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (9318 views)

Pus filled lump on boxer. Hello, About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's... (4970 views)

Cat losing hair on neck and ears. My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur... (10569 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (7339 views)