Why did my kitten die?

Breed: Mixed
I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her and another cat 3months ago from the shelter and hadn't yet been able to get her shots, although the other one already had his before we got him. She seemed perfectly healthy, very playful but was pretty skinny for her age and still as tiny as when we brought her home. She did have worms when we first brought her home but we dewormed her as soon as we found out. Ever since then, we haven't had a problem with her except for her being so small still. My husband buried her last night and we ended up giving the other cat, who was still alive away. When my husband buried her, he said her body felt really stiff but her neck felt broken. The only thing we can figure is that the other cat accidentally broke her neck cause they were sharing a kennel and there were numerous times we had to yell at the older cat because he kept jumping on her and trying to lay on her, not realizing she was so much smaller than him. He wasn't ever vicious so I doubt he tried to kill her. Could you help me understand if this sounds plausible that he could have killed her or whether her non growth pointed to a more serious problem. We don't have any money to take her body in and find out what killed her and I'd just like to get a professional opinion. Thanks. I would greatly appreciate it.

The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This is a heart condition that cats can be born with. They often have no symptoms and can suddenly die.

However, with her being so small it's also possible she had a liver defect such as a portosystemic shunt as well.

It is extremely unlikely that the other cat broke her neck, if not impossible.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (8636 views)

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (29868 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (10104 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (12445 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (38604 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (16450 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (10898 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i think my dog is pregnet she has big nipples and she is getting lazy she was in... (5184 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (25611 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (5023 views)