Why did my kitten die?

Breed: Mixed
I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her and another cat 3months ago from the shelter and hadn't yet been able to get her shots, although the other one already had his before we got him. She seemed perfectly healthy, very playful but was pretty skinny for her age and still as tiny as when we brought her home. She did have worms when we first brought her home but we dewormed her as soon as we found out. Ever since then, we haven't had a problem with her except for her being so small still. My husband buried her last night and we ended up giving the other cat, who was still alive away. When my husband buried her, he said her body felt really stiff but her neck felt broken. The only thing we can figure is that the other cat accidentally broke her neck cause they were sharing a kennel and there were numerous times we had to yell at the older cat because he kept jumping on her and trying to lay on her, not realizing she was so much smaller than him. He wasn't ever vicious so I doubt he tried to kill her. Could you help me understand if this sounds plausible that he could have killed her or whether her non growth pointed to a more serious problem. We don't have any money to take her body in and find out what killed her and I'd just like to get a professional opinion. Thanks. I would greatly appreciate it.

The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This is a heart condition that cats can be born with. They often have no symptoms and can suddenly die.

However, with her being so small it's also possible she had a liver defect such as a portosystemic shunt as well.

It is extremely unlikely that the other cat broke her neck, if not impossible.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (9754 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (9908 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (9205 views)

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (28624 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (28225 views)

Bleeding from penis. My Siberian Husky has been bleeding from his penis for the last 2 days, It comes and... (16321 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (10501 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (13086 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (27236 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (13066 views)