Why did my kitten die?

Breed: Mixed
I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her and another cat 3months ago from the shelter and hadn't yet been able to get her shots, although the other one already had his before we got him. She seemed perfectly healthy, very playful but was pretty skinny for her age and still as tiny as when we brought her home. She did have worms when we first brought her home but we dewormed her as soon as we found out. Ever since then, we haven't had a problem with her except for her being so small still. My husband buried her last night and we ended up giving the other cat, who was still alive away. When my husband buried her, he said her body felt really stiff but her neck felt broken. The only thing we can figure is that the other cat accidentally broke her neck cause they were sharing a kennel and there were numerous times we had to yell at the older cat because he kept jumping on her and trying to lay on her, not realizing she was so much smaller than him. He wasn't ever vicious so I doubt he tried to kill her. Could you help me understand if this sounds plausible that he could have killed her or whether her non growth pointed to a more serious problem. We don't have any money to take her body in and find out what killed her and I'd just like to get a professional opinion. Thanks. I would greatly appreciate it.

The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This is a heart condition that cats can be born with. They often have no symptoms and can suddenly die.

However, with her being so small it's also possible she had a liver defect such as a portosystemic shunt as well.

It is extremely unlikely that the other cat broke her neck, if not impossible.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Guinea pig biting. How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me? Recently my... (9222 views)

Does pet store flea medicine work? My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea... (12271 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (13381 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (5199 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (37443 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (15888 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (7875 views)

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (15892 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (9208 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (19040 views)