Why did my kitten die?

Breed: Mixed
I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her and another cat 3months ago from the shelter and hadn't yet been able to get her shots, although the other one already had his before we got him. She seemed perfectly healthy, very playful but was pretty skinny for her age and still as tiny as when we brought her home. She did have worms when we first brought her home but we dewormed her as soon as we found out. Ever since then, we haven't had a problem with her except for her being so small still. My husband buried her last night and we ended up giving the other cat, who was still alive away. When my husband buried her, he said her body felt really stiff but her neck felt broken. The only thing we can figure is that the other cat accidentally broke her neck cause they were sharing a kennel and there were numerous times we had to yell at the older cat because he kept jumping on her and trying to lay on her, not realizing she was so much smaller than him. He wasn't ever vicious so I doubt he tried to kill her. Could you help me understand if this sounds plausible that he could have killed her or whether her non growth pointed to a more serious problem. We don't have any money to take her body in and find out what killed her and I'd just like to get a professional opinion. Thanks. I would greatly appreciate it.

The most common reason for a young cat to die suddenly is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This is a heart condition that cats can be born with. They often have no symptoms and can suddenly die.

However, with her being so small it's also possible she had a liver defect such as a portosystemic shunt as well.

It is extremely unlikely that the other cat broke her neck, if not impossible.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (19517 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (13005 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (8222 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (39182 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (7089 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (8393 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (9556 views)

Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy. Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks... (9744 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (6651 views)

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (9375 views)