Worms in vomit.

Breed: Begal mix
My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I do? Is it harmful or should I just give her a dewormer? Should I just take her to a vet and get her check out for heart worms or any worm of that nature please choose my question and get back to me thank you!

It's definitely a good idea to take a stool sample to your vet so they can do some tests on it and determine what type of parasites are present. The most common type of parasite for dogs to vomit would be roundworms. These usually look like spaghetti, sometimes a little smaller.

If it is roundworm then the vet can prescribe medication. But, often for roundworms, over the counter meds work well. Just be sure to treat now, two weeks from now and then monthly for a few months. If you don't then you won't get rid of all of the life stages of the worms.

If there are other parasites present then you may need prescription medications to get rid of them.

When to neuter my dog. Hi, I have an 8 month old 63 lb male intact golden retriver. When should I neuter... (9604 views)

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (12866 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (8999 views)

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (19013 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (17478 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (14606 views)

Puppy stepped on. my 7 wk old pure staffie has just been accidently stood on by one foot of my 14-15... (48770 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (10059 views)

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (20191 views)

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (7803 views)