Discharge from vulva.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
My cat Miss Fitzgibbons who is 3 years old has suddenly become quite weak. She is still eating and drinking, although in smaller amounts than she used to. She is no longer grooming herself and is missing or avoiding the litter box. I have not had an opportuninty to view her feces or her actions during bowel movements ( we're a multi cat family). When urinating, she shows no signs of distress and the stream is strong and the amount is quite good. Upon inspection she shows no signs of trauma, but has a tenderness when firm palpation is applies to her very low abdomen. She has what looks like a possible mild discharge at the vulva, but as I said, she has not been gooming. We recently had houseguests who brought their dog and two cats. She was very frightened of the dog, and would not come downstairs to eat. As a consequence she lost a considerable amount of weight in the two weeks they were with us. She did also get fleas from the cats, but that was easily controlled and seemed to have no deleterious effects. She is not feverish and shows no symptoms of upper respiratory infection. She is a domestic shorthair rescue who has been with us since 10 weeks of age. I would appreciate it if you would give me an idea of how to help her to regain her sleek and curious self. (I really do love her!)

I'm sorry to hear that your cat is not well. It really sounds like she is quite sick.

Is she spayed? If not then I am quite concerned she may have a serious infection in the uterus called a pyometra. This is treatable, but she'll need surgery in order to get better.

It's also possible that she has picked up disease from the fleas. Some fleas carry a blood parasite called hemobartonella. This can cause extreme anemia and make a cat very sick. It wouldn't cause a vulvar discharge however.

Weight loss almost always means that there is a serious medical problem going on. If you do think that it started after the stress of having animals in the house, it's possible she has a condition called Fatty Liver, which is very serious as well.

It's also possible that she has an abscess somewhere, perhaps from an altercation with one of the other pets. This can often be treated with antibiotics but sometimes needs surgery.

There really is nothing I can suggest for you to do at home, but I would highly urge you to have your vet look at her as soon as possible. I really hope she is ok.

Thank you Dr. Marie,
She had liver and kidney failure. I chose to euthanize her so that she would not suffer unneccesarily.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. It sounds like you made the right decision.

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (10612 views)

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (7161 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (13018 views)

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (14067 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (48442 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (51731 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (23449 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (20488 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (9832 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (14358 views)