Discharge from vulva.

Breed: Domestic Shorthair
My cat Miss Fitzgibbons who is 3 years old has suddenly become quite weak. She is still eating and drinking, although in smaller amounts than she used to. She is no longer grooming herself and is missing or avoiding the litter box. I have not had an opportuninty to view her feces or her actions during bowel movements ( we're a multi cat family). When urinating, she shows no signs of distress and the stream is strong and the amount is quite good. Upon inspection she shows no signs of trauma, but has a tenderness when firm palpation is applies to her very low abdomen. She has what looks like a possible mild discharge at the vulva, but as I said, she has not been gooming. We recently had houseguests who brought their dog and two cats. She was very frightened of the dog, and would not come downstairs to eat. As a consequence she lost a considerable amount of weight in the two weeks they were with us. She did also get fleas from the cats, but that was easily controlled and seemed to have no deleterious effects. She is not feverish and shows no symptoms of upper respiratory infection. She is a domestic shorthair rescue who has been with us since 10 weeks of age. I would appreciate it if you would give me an idea of how to help her to regain her sleek and curious self. (I really do love her!)

I'm sorry to hear that your cat is not well. It really sounds like she is quite sick.

Is she spayed? If not then I am quite concerned she may have a serious infection in the uterus called a pyometra. This is treatable, but she'll need surgery in order to get better.

It's also possible that she has picked up disease from the fleas. Some fleas carry a blood parasite called hemobartonella. This can cause extreme anemia and make a cat very sick. It wouldn't cause a vulvar discharge however.

Weight loss almost always means that there is a serious medical problem going on. If you do think that it started after the stress of having animals in the house, it's possible she has a condition called Fatty Liver, which is very serious as well.

It's also possible that she has an abscess somewhere, perhaps from an altercation with one of the other pets. This can often be treated with antibiotics but sometimes needs surgery.

There really is nothing I can suggest for you to do at home, but I would highly urge you to have your vet look at her as soon as possible. I really hope she is ok.

Thank you Dr. Marie,
She had liver and kidney failure. I chose to euthanize her so that she would not suffer unneccesarily.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. It sounds like you made the right decision.

Pug died after pooping blood. my female pug passed away between 4:00A.M. & 8:00 A.m. yesterday. She had never... (47510 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (8068 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (12030 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (10886 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (95300 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (89171 views)

Matts on my cat I have a long hair cat with alot of matted hair. I also got L'oreal tangle tamer for... (5403 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (26064 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (5744 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (63381 views)