Small Russian Blue Cat.

Breed: Russian Blue
I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6 months). He has always been very small (currently just 6 lbs.) and has always eaten very little. I've tried many different kinds of food to no avail. He practically runs away from "people food" that cats normally enjoy and only eats about 5 kernels of dry food a day. His behavior is otherwise normal -- very active, does not drink excessive amounts of water, has normal grooming habits; he seems to be very happy.

We suspect that there may be some kind of liver dysfunction and are now considering taking him in for a complete blood/urinary analysis. Other symptoms include: bad breath and a slight odor to the skin/fur. There is no sign of jaundice

We'd appreciate your expert opinion as Gabriel's symptomatic profile does not fit squarely into what would be expected for feline liver disease.

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Linda

I'm sorry to hear that Gabriel may be unwell.

I won't be able to fully answer your question without examining your boy, but I can answer your concerns about a liver problem.

You have mentioned some symptoms of a portosystemic shunt (liver shunt). This is a condition where a cat is born with blood vessels that don't go through the liver properly. Cats with a liver shunt will be smaller than average.

It can sometimes be difficult to diagnose a liver shunt though as it doesn't always turn up with blood tests.

There are a number of other things that can cause these symptoms though. It is really not normal for a cat to only eat 5 kernels of food a day. I would be wondering if he has a mass or an object in his stomach.

I would highly advise you to have a vet examine him and run some blood tests.

I hope we can find an answer!

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (13639 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (14369 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (4876 views)

Kitten has diarrhea my kitten is 8-10 weeks old...shes been on dry food now for about 3 weeks. was on... (5018 views)

Sick kitten. Kitty is 13 weeks old, has had diarehha off and on for 9 days, also another sibling,... (9576 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (11396 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (19729 views)

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (13685 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (14389 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (36750 views)