Small Russian Blue Cat.

Breed: Russian Blue
I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6 months). He has always been very small (currently just 6 lbs.) and has always eaten very little. I've tried many different kinds of food to no avail. He practically runs away from "people food" that cats normally enjoy and only eats about 5 kernels of dry food a day. His behavior is otherwise normal -- very active, does not drink excessive amounts of water, has normal grooming habits; he seems to be very happy.

We suspect that there may be some kind of liver dysfunction and are now considering taking him in for a complete blood/urinary analysis. Other symptoms include: bad breath and a slight odor to the skin/fur. There is no sign of jaundice

We'd appreciate your expert opinion as Gabriel's symptomatic profile does not fit squarely into what would be expected for feline liver disease.

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Linda

I'm sorry to hear that Gabriel may be unwell.

I won't be able to fully answer your question without examining your boy, but I can answer your concerns about a liver problem.

You have mentioned some symptoms of a portosystemic shunt (liver shunt). This is a condition where a cat is born with blood vessels that don't go through the liver properly. Cats with a liver shunt will be smaller than average.

It can sometimes be difficult to diagnose a liver shunt though as it doesn't always turn up with blood tests.

There are a number of other things that can cause these symptoms though. It is really not normal for a cat to only eat 5 kernels of food a day. I would be wondering if he has a mass or an object in his stomach.

I would highly advise you to have a vet examine him and run some blood tests.

I hope we can find an answer!

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (8096 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (8787 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (14826 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (27515 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (12554 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (11049 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (8841 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (39584 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (17042 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (22460 views)