Small Russian Blue Cat.

Breed: Russian Blue
I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6 months). He has always been very small (currently just 6 lbs.) and has always eaten very little. I've tried many different kinds of food to no avail. He practically runs away from "people food" that cats normally enjoy and only eats about 5 kernels of dry food a day. His behavior is otherwise normal -- very active, does not drink excessive amounts of water, has normal grooming habits; he seems to be very happy.

We suspect that there may be some kind of liver dysfunction and are now considering taking him in for a complete blood/urinary analysis. Other symptoms include: bad breath and a slight odor to the skin/fur. There is no sign of jaundice

We'd appreciate your expert opinion as Gabriel's symptomatic profile does not fit squarely into what would be expected for feline liver disease.

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Linda

I'm sorry to hear that Gabriel may be unwell.

I won't be able to fully answer your question without examining your boy, but I can answer your concerns about a liver problem.

You have mentioned some symptoms of a portosystemic shunt (liver shunt). This is a condition where a cat is born with blood vessels that don't go through the liver properly. Cats with a liver shunt will be smaller than average.

It can sometimes be difficult to diagnose a liver shunt though as it doesn't always turn up with blood tests.

There are a number of other things that can cause these symptoms though. It is really not normal for a cat to only eat 5 kernels of food a day. I would be wondering if he has a mass or an object in his stomach.

I would highly advise you to have a vet examine him and run some blood tests.

I hope we can find an answer!

Dog toe xray. I took my dog Cooper to the vet last week and he believed he had a bone... (21253 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (8810 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (64888 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (8848 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (14409 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (5039 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (10394 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (10132 views)

Limping boston terrier. hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only... (21934 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (19048 views)