Small Russian Blue Cat.

Breed: Russian Blue
I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6 months). He has always been very small (currently just 6 lbs.) and has always eaten very little. I've tried many different kinds of food to no avail. He practically runs away from "people food" that cats normally enjoy and only eats about 5 kernels of dry food a day. His behavior is otherwise normal -- very active, does not drink excessive amounts of water, has normal grooming habits; he seems to be very happy.

We suspect that there may be some kind of liver dysfunction and are now considering taking him in for a complete blood/urinary analysis. Other symptoms include: bad breath and a slight odor to the skin/fur. There is no sign of jaundice

We'd appreciate your expert opinion as Gabriel's symptomatic profile does not fit squarely into what would be expected for feline liver disease.

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Linda

I'm sorry to hear that Gabriel may be unwell.

I won't be able to fully answer your question without examining your boy, but I can answer your concerns about a liver problem.

You have mentioned some symptoms of a portosystemic shunt (liver shunt). This is a condition where a cat is born with blood vessels that don't go through the liver properly. Cats with a liver shunt will be smaller than average.

It can sometimes be difficult to diagnose a liver shunt though as it doesn't always turn up with blood tests.

There are a number of other things that can cause these symptoms though. It is really not normal for a cat to only eat 5 kernels of food a day. I would be wondering if he has a mass or an object in his stomach.

I would highly advise you to have a vet examine him and run some blood tests.

I hope we can find an answer!

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (28821 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (12332 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (41309 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (14059 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (10516 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (11490 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (44027 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (31920 views)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (11793 views)

Tylosin responsive diarrhea. In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts"... (9176 views)