Indestructible dog toys.

Breed: golden
Hi Dr,

Fortunately I'm not writing about an illness.

Since his neutering Max (9 months) has turned into a very high energy dog and the lack of suitable outlets has led to bad habits (mouthing, nipping, stealing from pockets, grabbing things just to be chased, etc).

I give him 2 x 30 min walks a day. He's much, much better when he's able to chew on toys but he uses his molars and goes through toys faster than I can replenish.

What is a suitable natural chew? Rawhide? Bones? Bullwinkle?

He's already had one of those soggy square rawhides and that led to vomiting (and a trip to the vet).

I'm glad to hear Max is healthy!

I would agree with you that we need to find him an outlet for his energy.

Here are a few ideas I have for you:

Good chew toys

Another thing that may help are toys that keep his mind occupied. Check these out:

Another thought...if it's doable for you: I have a client with a crazy lab and what they do is take him to doggie daycare at PetSmart 3x a week. He plays insanely with other dogs for 8 hours and is exhausted (and very well behaved) for 2 days!

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (16225 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (8861 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (5526 views)

Cat having back end problems. Hi Dr. Marie, It's Christmas Eve so the vet here is closed. I hope you're able to... (8598 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (9592 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (14437 views)

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (3467 views)

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (6308 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (3353 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (12986 views)