Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food.

Breed: Persian
My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in the tuna can be a problem. What do you think about the mercury levels of fish based canned cat foods?

Hi Joan,

I can't say I have ever encountered an issue regarding mercury levels in canned cat food. So, I did some research for you to see what I could find out.

The general consensus from vets is that there is no problem with feeding tuna based cat foods. I did find some interesting articles though:

Here is an article that looked at mercury levels in tissues of cats fed mercury contaminated tuna. For 100 days they fed kittens a diet of tuna that was known to be very high in mercury. They had a control group that they fed a commercial cat food diet that contained tuna. The cats fed the contaminated diet had way higher mercury levels in their blood and organs than the cats on the regular commercial tuna diet. However, they could not see any difference in the behavior or health of the two groups.

That sort of implies that there is no problem with feeding a tunafish diet.

HOWEVER....

Check out this study:

A tuna fish diet influences cat behavior.

Here is the summary of the article:
When observed in their home cages, cats fed commercial tuna fish cat food were less active, vocalized less, and spent more time on the floor and more time eating than cats fed commercial beef cat food. There were no differences in response to human handling between the two groups. There were no differences in learning ability on a two-choice point maze or in reversal learning in the same maze between beef- and tuna-fed cats. The behavior of the groups differed in a 15-min open field test only in the number of toys contacted. Cats fed the tuna had elevated tissue levels of mercury and selenium.

To me, that information seems significant. Cats on a commercial tuna fish diet had elevated tissue levels of mercury and selenium. And, those cats were less active, less meowy, more lazy and ate more.

If I had a cat who loved a canned tuna cat food I would likely give it to him once or twice a week, but I would not want to feed it as the only part of his diet.

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (14709 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (14782 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (8131 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (11067 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (12361 views)

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (15532 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (17008 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (14954 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (27460 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (12064 views)