Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food.

Breed: Persian
My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in the tuna can be a problem. What do you think about the mercury levels of fish based canned cat foods?

Hi Joan,

I can't say I have ever encountered an issue regarding mercury levels in canned cat food. So, I did some research for you to see what I could find out.

The general consensus from vets is that there is no problem with feeding tuna based cat foods. I did find some interesting articles though:

Here is an article that looked at mercury levels in tissues of cats fed mercury contaminated tuna. For 100 days they fed kittens a diet of tuna that was known to be very high in mercury. They had a control group that they fed a commercial cat food diet that contained tuna. The cats fed the contaminated diet had way higher mercury levels in their blood and organs than the cats on the regular commercial tuna diet. However, they could not see any difference in the behavior or health of the two groups.

That sort of implies that there is no problem with feeding a tunafish diet.

HOWEVER....

Check out this study:

A tuna fish diet influences cat behavior.

Here is the summary of the article:
When observed in their home cages, cats fed commercial tuna fish cat food were less active, vocalized less, and spent more time on the floor and more time eating than cats fed commercial beef cat food. There were no differences in response to human handling between the two groups. There were no differences in learning ability on a two-choice point maze or in reversal learning in the same maze between beef- and tuna-fed cats. The behavior of the groups differed in a 15-min open field test only in the number of toys contacted. Cats fed the tuna had elevated tissue levels of mercury and selenium.

To me, that information seems significant. Cats on a commercial tuna fish diet had elevated tissue levels of mercury and selenium. And, those cats were less active, less meowy, more lazy and ate more.

If I had a cat who loved a canned tuna cat food I would likely give it to him once or twice a week, but I would not want to feed it as the only part of his diet.

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (14730 views)

Sick shih tzu Hello, I have a question about my 2 and a half year old shit-zu. yesterday, after... (14888 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (13864 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (16316 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (51123 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (7235 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (6203 views)

Dog Won't Eat My dog won't eat at all,but he still drink(not much)..He wanna move but he can't... (23070 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (12802 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (25407 views)