Gave meds to early.

Breed: Fancy Rat

We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early to our house. She inadvertently gave our fancy rat, Pixel, his doses of prednisone and doxy within 6 hours (or even less) of his previous dose. It states to give them 12-14 hours apart - should we be concerned about an overdose?

Thank you very much,
Courtney

Hi Courtney and thanks for your question.

It's extremely unlikely that any harm has been done. I would skip tonight's dose and continue as normal in the morning.

Doxycycline can sometimes be a little bit irritating to the stomach, so it is possible that there is some mild stomach upset. But, I would be very surprised to see this happen!

Whew! Thanks for the quick reply.
His two close dosages were both for today (and the last one was at about 6PM), so it sounds like he'll be fine to start tomorrow morning.
Thanks again!

You're very welcome and thank you so much for the bonus! You made my day!

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (7264 views)

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (8626 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (7122 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (13070 views)

Chihuahua with loose teeth. My Chihuahua's teeth are starting to get very loose. She is only two years old,... (12077 views)

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (7224 views)

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (8267 views)

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (6450 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (8119 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (6371 views)