Gave meds to early.

Breed: Fancy Rat

We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early to our house. She inadvertently gave our fancy rat, Pixel, his doses of prednisone and doxy within 6 hours (or even less) of his previous dose. It states to give them 12-14 hours apart - should we be concerned about an overdose?

Thank you very much,
Courtney

Hi Courtney and thanks for your question.

It's extremely unlikely that any harm has been done. I would skip tonight's dose and continue as normal in the morning.

Doxycycline can sometimes be a little bit irritating to the stomach, so it is possible that there is some mild stomach upset. But, I would be very surprised to see this happen!

Whew! Thanks for the quick reply.
His two close dosages were both for today (and the last one was at about 6PM), so it sounds like he'll be fine to start tomorrow morning.
Thanks again!

You're very welcome and thank you so much for the bonus! You made my day!

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (7157 views)

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (24558 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (28871 views)

Lump on hamster's toe. Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my... (17944 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (6089 views)

Do cats get chicken pox? it is not of a cat of mine a cat i saw he had spots that looked alot like chickenpox... (29169 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (16568 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (8989 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (11279 views)

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (61855 views)