Gave meds to early.

Breed: Fancy Rat

We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early to our house. She inadvertently gave our fancy rat, Pixel, his doses of prednisone and doxy within 6 hours (or even less) of his previous dose. It states to give them 12-14 hours apart - should we be concerned about an overdose?

Thank you very much,
Courtney

Hi Courtney and thanks for your question.

It's extremely unlikely that any harm has been done. I would skip tonight's dose and continue as normal in the morning.

Doxycycline can sometimes be a little bit irritating to the stomach, so it is possible that there is some mild stomach upset. But, I would be very surprised to see this happen!

Whew! Thanks for the quick reply.
His two close dosages were both for today (and the last one was at about 6PM), so it sounds like he'll be fine to start tomorrow morning.
Thanks again!

You're very welcome and thank you so much for the bonus! You made my day!

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (13226 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (16285 views)

Swollen ear flap. i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to... (11148 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (18889 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (10661 views)

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (15007 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (14030 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (7550 views)

Feeding chicken liver to dogs. I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his... (65767 views)

Does pet store flea medicine work? My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea... (11125 views)