Gave meds to early.

Breed: Fancy Rat

We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early to our house. She inadvertently gave our fancy rat, Pixel, his doses of prednisone and doxy within 6 hours (or even less) of his previous dose. It states to give them 12-14 hours apart - should we be concerned about an overdose?

Thank you very much,
Courtney

Hi Courtney and thanks for your question.

It's extremely unlikely that any harm has been done. I would skip tonight's dose and continue as normal in the morning.

Doxycycline can sometimes be a little bit irritating to the stomach, so it is possible that there is some mild stomach upset. But, I would be very surprised to see this happen!

Whew! Thanks for the quick reply.
His two close dosages were both for today (and the last one was at about 6PM), so it sounds like he'll be fine to start tomorrow morning.
Thanks again!

You're very welcome and thank you so much for the bonus! You made my day!

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (7893 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (22354 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (13493 views)

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (6522 views)

Eye problem. Chances eyes are really red all the time and gets a bunch of eye snot I clean it out... (8844 views)

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (7638 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (13725 views)

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (11616 views)

Trifexis side effects I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three... (7113 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (4590 views)