Gave meds to early.

Breed: Fancy Rat

We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early to our house. She inadvertently gave our fancy rat, Pixel, his doses of prednisone and doxy within 6 hours (or even less) of his previous dose. It states to give them 12-14 hours apart - should we be concerned about an overdose?

Thank you very much,
Courtney

Hi Courtney and thanks for your question.

It's extremely unlikely that any harm has been done. I would skip tonight's dose and continue as normal in the morning.

Doxycycline can sometimes be a little bit irritating to the stomach, so it is possible that there is some mild stomach upset. But, I would be very surprised to see this happen!

Whew! Thanks for the quick reply.
His two close dosages were both for today (and the last one was at about 6PM), so it sounds like he'll be fine to start tomorrow morning.
Thanks again!

You're very welcome and thank you so much for the bonus! You made my day!

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (14238 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (12400 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (10048 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (18537 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (10074 views)

Stinky skin in pug. My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started... (16762 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (17515 views)

Vomiting and bloody stool. We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have... (13285 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My cat lulu was just attacked by a dog today....i'm a new mommy...and currently... (5165 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (7159 views)