Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Children's shampoo for dog?

Species: Dog
Breed: lab
Age: Less than 3 mon
okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old will it hurt him or will his skin brun




Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

You definitely need to use a dog or puppy shampoo. Human shampoos (even children or baby formulation) is made for a different pH skin and will dry out your dog's coat.

I have seen a number of dogs who were quite itchy and got better once the owner stopped using human shampoos on them.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (27462 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (42021 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (5064 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (34322 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (5732 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (6448 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (39925 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (6296 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (4840 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (12527 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.