Dog bleeding from nose and died.

Breed: Anatolian Shepherd
This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little light on the matter would help me.
The question I'm asking is about my dog, who is no longer.
I had a male, 5 year-old purebred Anatolian Shepherd. We had raised him since a puppy. He was exercised on a normal basis and always got the healthy stamp of approval from our vet. Since he was 2-3 his back legs would tremble after he'd flop on the carpet, or sometimes sitting. Around 5 years we noticed one day that he was acting a little lethargic and had no appetite. This raised a red flag. We decided to take him to the vet the very next morning. His nose had started bleeding (seemingly from both sides) the next morning on our way to drop him off.
He was up to date on all vaccinations, had not gotten into anything toxic around the house, no unusual bumps, and was very healthy. He even wanted to go on the car ride to the vet.
After dropping him off we later received a call (several hours after) from the vet that he had passed away before they could even get a chance to look at him.
They offered a necropsy which my parents, unfortunately, declined. They declined for the reason they would have taken him over 84 miles away and we wouldn't get him back for a while. I had no say in the matter, it was up to my parents. I know there's not much to know without the necropsy, but I only wanted to know if his symptoms sound like anything familiar- if it was our fault or not.
We have another Anatolian now, not purebred like Duke, but now his legs are starting to tremble when he lays down (he's now 5 too) and I want to know if I should be concerned, or if it's the onset of hip dysplasia.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Duke.

You are right in saying that we won't be able to know much without a post mortem. But, I can give you some ideas as to what could have happened.

Bleeding from the nose can often mean that there is a problem with platelets. Platelets are cells that are responsible to help the body clot. If platelet levels get low then we can see bleeding. If Duke died this suddenly then there is a high possibility that he had bleeding internally and died from blood loss into his abdomen.

So, what can cause low platelets? If you live in an area that has a lot of ticks then it could have been caused by a tick borne disease such as ehrlichiosis.

It's also possible that there was a tumor in Duke's spleen then this can cause the body to destroy platelets and can also cause bleeding into the abdomen.

Another possibility is a disease called immune mediated thrombocytopenia or IMT. We don't know what causes IMT but what happens is that the body's immune system starts to destroy its own platelets. While IMT is treatable, if there is severe bleeding internally then there would have been nothing anyone could do.

One other thought for the bleeding would be exposure to rat or mouse poison. If Duke had ingested one of these toxins then these can cause severe bleeding.

I can't really tie together the leg shaking with what happened to Duke. The only slight connection I could make would be lyme disease. Lyme can cause platelet problems and can also cause joint pain. But, I have also seen dogs who have a tremor in a leg and we never find out why. It is also possible that this is due to joint pain such as a hip or knee problem.

It may be worthwhile to have your vet test for lyme disease if this is something that is seen in your area.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It really sounds like there was nothing that anyone could have done.

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (10331 views)

4 year old cat not eating. My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She... (6800 views)

Paying for megacolon surgery. hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be... (8630 views)

Patches of fur loss. My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck... (10846 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (13744 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (20278 views)

Wobbly Boxer. My 3 year old boxer has been having some issues. He has always been very very clumsy... (10983 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (50207 views)

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (6702 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (6971 views)