Blood blisters on a cat

Breed: Moggy
My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and another on her bottom lip. They become quite engorged until they burst, and then bleed profusely. Once the bleeding ceases they fill with blood again. They do not appear to cause the cat any extreme discomfort, but they worry me nonetheless. What could be causing these vesicles and what can be done?

This is an unusual situation.

I have seen cats get ulcers on their lips. These are usually something called eosinophilic ulcers (or rodent ulcers) and they are treated with steroid injections from your vet.

However, these don't burst open and bleed. In fact there is no common condition that can cause what you are describing.

There is a possibility that these are cancerous growths. It is also possible that she has a rare condition called pemphigus.

I would highly advise you see your vet about this condition. They should be able to tell you whether or not you should be worried and may be able to do something to help.

If you would like to reply I can give you an email address where you can send pictures to and I can see if I can help you out any more.

Losing weight but lab tests normal. My cat is losing weight, vomiting, more vocal than normal, lethargic and hungry all... (10639 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (20206 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (5441 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (24630 views)

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (46118 views)

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (26296 views)

Morning after pill for dogs? Is there a "morning after pill" for dogs? ... (27948 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (81714 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (15395 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (30489 views)