Blood blisters on a cat

Breed: Moggy
My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and another on her bottom lip. They become quite engorged until they burst, and then bleed profusely. Once the bleeding ceases they fill with blood again. They do not appear to cause the cat any extreme discomfort, but they worry me nonetheless. What could be causing these vesicles and what can be done?

This is an unusual situation.

I have seen cats get ulcers on their lips. These are usually something called eosinophilic ulcers (or rodent ulcers) and they are treated with steroid injections from your vet.

However, these don't burst open and bleed. In fact there is no common condition that can cause what you are describing.

There is a possibility that these are cancerous growths. It is also possible that she has a rare condition called pemphigus.

I would highly advise you see your vet about this condition. They should be able to tell you whether or not you should be worried and may be able to do something to help.

If you would like to reply I can give you an email address where you can send pictures to and I can see if I can help you out any more.

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (11060 views)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (155568 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (15243 views)

Stuffed up nose. Dear Vet, We have a 12 year old Australian Shepard, 80 pound male. He is not having... (11182 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (14436 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (5351 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (11440 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (21000 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (8613 views)

Health problems. WE DO NEED A QUICK ANSWER, BUT IN CASE DOG WILL HANG ON, HERE GOES: 10 YRS OLD... (8381 views)