Blood blisters on a cat

Breed: Moggy
My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and another on her bottom lip. They become quite engorged until they burst, and then bleed profusely. Once the bleeding ceases they fill with blood again. They do not appear to cause the cat any extreme discomfort, but they worry me nonetheless. What could be causing these vesicles and what can be done?

This is an unusual situation.

I have seen cats get ulcers on their lips. These are usually something called eosinophilic ulcers (or rodent ulcers) and they are treated with steroid injections from your vet.

However, these don't burst open and bleed. In fact there is no common condition that can cause what you are describing.

There is a possibility that these are cancerous growths. It is also possible that she has a rare condition called pemphigus.

I would highly advise you see your vet about this condition. They should be able to tell you whether or not you should be worried and may be able to do something to help.

If you would like to reply I can give you an email address where you can send pictures to and I can see if I can help you out any more.

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (16668 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (17190 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (13746 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (11004 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (5498 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (16160 views)

Cat is dying. I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was... (11049 views)

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (12187 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (119808 views)

Wobbly Boxer. My 3 year old boxer has been having some issues. He has always been very very clumsy... (11034 views)