Blood blisters on a cat

Breed: Moggy
My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and another on her bottom lip. They become quite engorged until they burst, and then bleed profusely. Once the bleeding ceases they fill with blood again. They do not appear to cause the cat any extreme discomfort, but they worry me nonetheless. What could be causing these vesicles and what can be done?

This is an unusual situation.

I have seen cats get ulcers on their lips. These are usually something called eosinophilic ulcers (or rodent ulcers) and they are treated with steroid injections from your vet.

However, these don't burst open and bleed. In fact there is no common condition that can cause what you are describing.

There is a possibility that these are cancerous growths. It is also possible that she has a rare condition called pemphigus.

I would highly advise you see your vet about this condition. They should be able to tell you whether or not you should be worried and may be able to do something to help.

If you would like to reply I can give you an email address where you can send pictures to and I can see if I can help you out any more.

Dog ate moldy corn. My 4 month old, 20 lb. standard poodle may have eaten very moldy creamed corn from a... (49166 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (12727 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (23036 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (34898 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (14447 views)

Losing weight but lab tests normal. My cat is losing weight, vomiting, more vocal than normal, lethargic and hungry all... (13180 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (40554 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (17987 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (6227 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (11617 views)