Vet drained cyst.

Breed: Miniature Schnauzer
A few months back my dog developed a blocked sweat gland. My former vet basically popped it open with a needle and drained a bunch of pasty gray material from it. Since then the bump hasn't redeveloped, but it mostly closed up around what felt like a jagged little scab, maybe 1-2 mm wide and 2-3 mm tall. I'm not sure why the scab took so many months to come off, but now that it has there is what looks like a perfect little hole in him. I spoke with a nurse at my vet's office who said it was normal and that he'll just have a hole there. That may be the case but I'm still a little concerned and wanted to get a second opinion.

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing the lump. However, I can tell you that I have seen this type of thing many times.

If a dog has a cyst and we are able to drain or express material from it, it almost always comes back again in some shape or form. It won't completely go away unless we surgically remove it. I have also seen some cysts that have tiny holes in them like you have described.

I would only be concerned if I was seeing one or more of the following:

-thick yellow or green discharge (this could mean that the cyst is infected.)

-it is bothersome to Brody - if he his licking at it or it seems painful then I'd have the vet take a look.

-if it looks dramatically different - like purple or much larger than before.

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (10903 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (13441 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5766 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (7023 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (8513 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (10835 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (112585 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome hi i had my cat spayed a year ago and she went back into heat (full blown moaning... (16449 views)

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (27010 views)

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (8004 views)