Vet drained cyst.

Breed: Miniature Schnauzer
A few months back my dog developed a blocked sweat gland. My former vet basically popped it open with a needle and drained a bunch of pasty gray material from it. Since then the bump hasn't redeveloped, but it mostly closed up around what felt like a jagged little scab, maybe 1-2 mm wide and 2-3 mm tall. I'm not sure why the scab took so many months to come off, but now that it has there is what looks like a perfect little hole in him. I spoke with a nurse at my vet's office who said it was normal and that he'll just have a hole there. That may be the case but I'm still a little concerned and wanted to get a second opinion.

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing the lump. However, I can tell you that I have seen this type of thing many times.

If a dog has a cyst and we are able to drain or express material from it, it almost always comes back again in some shape or form. It won't completely go away unless we surgically remove it. I have also seen some cysts that have tiny holes in them like you have described.

I would only be concerned if I was seeing one or more of the following:

-thick yellow or green discharge (this could mean that the cyst is infected.)

-it is bothersome to Brody - if he his licking at it or it seems painful then I'd have the vet take a look.

-if it looks dramatically different - like purple or much larger than before.

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (16972 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (26345 views)

Cat has high ALT. my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in... (26599 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (8941 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (7689 views)

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (5983 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (6847 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (4429 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (16298 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (18172 views)