Vet drained cyst.

Breed: Miniature Schnauzer
A few months back my dog developed a blocked sweat gland. My former vet basically popped it open with a needle and drained a bunch of pasty gray material from it. Since then the bump hasn't redeveloped, but it mostly closed up around what felt like a jagged little scab, maybe 1-2 mm wide and 2-3 mm tall. I'm not sure why the scab took so many months to come off, but now that it has there is what looks like a perfect little hole in him. I spoke with a nurse at my vet's office who said it was normal and that he'll just have a hole there. That may be the case but I'm still a little concerned and wanted to get a second opinion.

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing the lump. However, I can tell you that I have seen this type of thing many times.

If a dog has a cyst and we are able to drain or express material from it, it almost always comes back again in some shape or form. It won't completely go away unless we surgically remove it. I have also seen some cysts that have tiny holes in them like you have described.

I would only be concerned if I was seeing one or more of the following:

-thick yellow or green discharge (this could mean that the cyst is infected.)

-it is bothersome to Brody - if he his licking at it or it seems painful then I'd have the vet take a look.

-if it looks dramatically different - like purple or much larger than before.

Pooping in the house. Hi Ipurchased a dog from a pet rescue organisation in Sydney just over three months... (17561 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (13708 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (53089 views)

Licking at private parts. I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food... (12998 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (8342 views)

Metronidazole side effects? My Dog had a surgery Dec 9. The Doctor removed a tumor from his small intestine. He... (16741 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (23799 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (9126 views)

Eye closed in hamster. My hamster has one eye closed all the time. There are no other hamsters living with... (35495 views)

Hibiscus toxic to dogs? Are Hibiscus flowers poisonous? I caught my pomeranian eating one this morning... (24134 views)