Swollen ear.

Breed: orange tabby
My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear, whole ear & around the opening on the head. Its not ear mites! Ive cleaned the ear & no gunk nor anything shows on cloth. I am not wealthy but I did have him seen by a vet in a pet mobile. They had no idea except it may have had bad accident. I told the vet that he has had no accident nor goes outside. he plays eats & sleeps good. I do know that it has happened 1 time not long ago & it went away on its own in about a weeks time. this time seems to only bother him just a wee bit by him tilting his head - not shaking nor any touch sensitivity. I would like any help because I am not sure that this could be an internal thing which may be serious in nature or am I just worrying over him just scratching a good itch a little to hard. Please give me any suggestions that may help in punkies quest & my nerves. thank you

This is a tough one to answer without seeing little Punkie.

At first description this sounds like something called an aural hematoma. This is where the ear fills up with blood that collects between the cartilage and the skin.

Some vets treat this with surgery. I have had good success treating these with oral prednisone.

A hematoma doesn't usually affect the head as well, but it is possible there could be a lot of swelling so that it looks like that.

Regarding "internal things" any sort of bleeding disorder could cause this. We usually see bleeding problems with animals that have ingested rat or mouse poison.

Whenever I see an older cat with something unusual I do get concerned about certain types of cancers. However, if this was something that was present before and went away I think a hematoma is the most likely.

It's worth asking your vet if this is a possibility.

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (8777 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (8219 views)

Possibly hip dysplasia. Dear Dr. Marie, I recently had to put my dog down as he was only two and a half... (5935 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (12827 views)

Black lumps in a cat's ear. I recently noticed two black spots in one of my cat's ears. They haven't always been... (16211 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (11656 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (12352 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (7821 views)

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (16813 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (15821 views)