Swollen ear.

Breed: orange tabby
My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear, whole ear & around the opening on the head. Its not ear mites! Ive cleaned the ear & no gunk nor anything shows on cloth. I am not wealthy but I did have him seen by a vet in a pet mobile. They had no idea except it may have had bad accident. I told the vet that he has had no accident nor goes outside. he plays eats & sleeps good. I do know that it has happened 1 time not long ago & it went away on its own in about a weeks time. this time seems to only bother him just a wee bit by him tilting his head - not shaking nor any touch sensitivity. I would like any help because I am not sure that this could be an internal thing which may be serious in nature or am I just worrying over him just scratching a good itch a little to hard. Please give me any suggestions that may help in punkies quest & my nerves. thank you

This is a tough one to answer without seeing little Punkie.

At first description this sounds like something called an aural hematoma. This is where the ear fills up with blood that collects between the cartilage and the skin.

Some vets treat this with surgery. I have had good success treating these with oral prednisone.

A hematoma doesn't usually affect the head as well, but it is possible there could be a lot of swelling so that it looks like that.

Regarding "internal things" any sort of bleeding disorder could cause this. We usually see bleeding problems with animals that have ingested rat or mouse poison.

Whenever I see an older cat with something unusual I do get concerned about certain types of cancers. However, if this was something that was present before and went away I think a hematoma is the most likely.

It's worth asking your vet if this is a possibility.

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (21265 views)

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (9825 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (10695 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (8294 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (8625 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (11245 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (32030 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (14717 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (7651 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (8545 views)