Swollen ear.

Breed: orange tabby
My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear, whole ear & around the opening on the head. Its not ear mites! Ive cleaned the ear & no gunk nor anything shows on cloth. I am not wealthy but I did have him seen by a vet in a pet mobile. They had no idea except it may have had bad accident. I told the vet that he has had no accident nor goes outside. he plays eats & sleeps good. I do know that it has happened 1 time not long ago & it went away on its own in about a weeks time. this time seems to only bother him just a wee bit by him tilting his head - not shaking nor any touch sensitivity. I would like any help because I am not sure that this could be an internal thing which may be serious in nature or am I just worrying over him just scratching a good itch a little to hard. Please give me any suggestions that may help in punkies quest & my nerves. thank you

This is a tough one to answer without seeing little Punkie.

At first description this sounds like something called an aural hematoma. This is where the ear fills up with blood that collects between the cartilage and the skin.

Some vets treat this with surgery. I have had good success treating these with oral prednisone.

A hematoma doesn't usually affect the head as well, but it is possible there could be a lot of swelling so that it looks like that.

Regarding "internal things" any sort of bleeding disorder could cause this. We usually see bleeding problems with animals that have ingested rat or mouse poison.

Whenever I see an older cat with something unusual I do get concerned about certain types of cancers. However, if this was something that was present before and went away I think a hematoma is the most likely.

It's worth asking your vet if this is a possibility.

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (5809 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (12812 views)

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (96188 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (16794 views)

Hyperesthesia syndrome? I have a unique situation. Recently I have moved to a new apt 3 hours away from... (5944 views)

Dog ate sanitary pad About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He ... (6859 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (20173 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (7637 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (8614 views)

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (10333 views)