Swollen ear.

Breed: orange tabby
My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear, whole ear & around the opening on the head. Its not ear mites! Ive cleaned the ear & no gunk nor anything shows on cloth. I am not wealthy but I did have him seen by a vet in a pet mobile. They had no idea except it may have had bad accident. I told the vet that he has had no accident nor goes outside. he plays eats & sleeps good. I do know that it has happened 1 time not long ago & it went away on its own in about a weeks time. this time seems to only bother him just a wee bit by him tilting his head - not shaking nor any touch sensitivity. I would like any help because I am not sure that this could be an internal thing which may be serious in nature or am I just worrying over him just scratching a good itch a little to hard. Please give me any suggestions that may help in punkies quest & my nerves. thank you

This is a tough one to answer without seeing little Punkie.

At first description this sounds like something called an aural hematoma. This is where the ear fills up with blood that collects between the cartilage and the skin.

Some vets treat this with surgery. I have had good success treating these with oral prednisone.

A hematoma doesn't usually affect the head as well, but it is possible there could be a lot of swelling so that it looks like that.

Regarding "internal things" any sort of bleeding disorder could cause this. We usually see bleeding problems with animals that have ingested rat or mouse poison.

Whenever I see an older cat with something unusual I do get concerned about certain types of cancers. However, if this was something that was present before and went away I think a hematoma is the most likely.

It's worth asking your vet if this is a possibility.

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (10085 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (10441 views)

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (13089 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (18702 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (9382 views)

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (16533 views)

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (38516 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (12596 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (20102 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (60957 views)