IVDD in dog.

Breed: American Cocker Span
My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps, or jump up on the couch-- and his back legs are trembling. Several years ago, he had the same symptoms. The vet said that it was a back issue-- I think IVDD.

I have some Tramadol left over from a recent trip to the vet. My question is this. Can I use 50 mg Tramadol to treat a 45-lb dog for pain and inflammation? Also, do you think a trip to the vet is necessary? I have been unemployed for two years and really don't want to pay for a visit that I don't need.

Thank you!

Alison

This certainly does sound like it could be a back issue and yes, IVDD is quite likely.

This is a tough question for me because I cannot legally advise you on medication dosages for your dog.

I would generally, however, not use just Tramadol to treat IVDD. Tramadol is a pain reliever but it is not an anti-inflammatory drug. If there is IVDD it is usually quite important to get an anti-inflammatory on board.

What happens with IVDD is that there is inflammation around one of the discs between the vertebrae (back bones). In some cases, there can be actual disc material that pushes up against the spinal cord. But, usually it is inflammation around the disc that is pushing up against the cord. It is very important to relieve that inflammation.

I will generally prescribe either an NSAID like Metacam for mild cases of IVDD or if it is moderate to severe I will use a steroid like Prednisone or dexamethasone.

If you can swing it at all, I would highly advise a visit to your vet as soon as possible. In cases like this, often if we can get the proper medications on board quick enough this should be all that we need to fix the problem. In some cases, if we wait too long then the disc inflammation can progress to disc protrusion and we can end up with lifelong problems including paralysis.

When you go to the vet's let them know that you are on a tight budget. They may suggest xrays, but if you tell them that your finances are tight you might be able to skip those. In most cases the cost of medications to treat IVDD are not terribly expensive.

Until you can get to the vet, make sure that Basil does no jumping or stairs and that he keeps as quiet as possible. If you can determine where on his back he is sore, applying an ice pack for 10 minutes a few times tonight can help. (The most common area to be sore is right at the end of the rib cage.)

I really hope he does ok!

Thank you, Dr Marie. I will make an appointment for Basil tomorrow and try to get a more appropriate pain reliever. I just want to be sure he can be comfortable tonight. I think that I will also ask if it's possible that we skip the Xray for financial reasons; however, if this comes back frequently I probably will get an Xray to see if surgery is required. Thanks so much for your help. It's good to know that I can turn to you if I need to make a decision like this again.

You're very welcome! Feel free to post a reply again if you have more questions after your appointment.

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (29799 views)

Dog drinking and panting lots. my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer.... (12608 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (10045 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (25979 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (19168 views)

Does pet store flea medicine work? My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea... (11397 views)

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (9859 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (9411 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (36012 views)

Bloated stomach in Papillion. my dog had a bloated stomach and had trouble going to the bathroom and the next day... (24737 views)