IVDD in dog.

Breed: American Cocker Span
My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps, or jump up on the couch-- and his back legs are trembling. Several years ago, he had the same symptoms. The vet said that it was a back issue-- I think IVDD.

I have some Tramadol left over from a recent trip to the vet. My question is this. Can I use 50 mg Tramadol to treat a 45-lb dog for pain and inflammation? Also, do you think a trip to the vet is necessary? I have been unemployed for two years and really don't want to pay for a visit that I don't need.

Thank you!

Alison

This certainly does sound like it could be a back issue and yes, IVDD is quite likely.

This is a tough question for me because I cannot legally advise you on medication dosages for your dog.

I would generally, however, not use just Tramadol to treat IVDD. Tramadol is a pain reliever but it is not an anti-inflammatory drug. If there is IVDD it is usually quite important to get an anti-inflammatory on board.

What happens with IVDD is that there is inflammation around one of the discs between the vertebrae (back bones). In some cases, there can be actual disc material that pushes up against the spinal cord. But, usually it is inflammation around the disc that is pushing up against the cord. It is very important to relieve that inflammation.

I will generally prescribe either an NSAID like Metacam for mild cases of IVDD or if it is moderate to severe I will use a steroid like Prednisone or dexamethasone.

If you can swing it at all, I would highly advise a visit to your vet as soon as possible. In cases like this, often if we can get the proper medications on board quick enough this should be all that we need to fix the problem. In some cases, if we wait too long then the disc inflammation can progress to disc protrusion and we can end up with lifelong problems including paralysis.

When you go to the vet's let them know that you are on a tight budget. They may suggest xrays, but if you tell them that your finances are tight you might be able to skip those. In most cases the cost of medications to treat IVDD are not terribly expensive.

Until you can get to the vet, make sure that Basil does no jumping or stairs and that he keeps as quiet as possible. If you can determine where on his back he is sore, applying an ice pack for 10 minutes a few times tonight can help. (The most common area to be sore is right at the end of the rib cage.)

I really hope he does ok!

Thank you, Dr Marie. I will make an appointment for Basil tomorrow and try to get a more appropriate pain reliever. I just want to be sure he can be comfortable tonight. I think that I will also ask if it's possible that we skip the Xray for financial reasons; however, if this comes back frequently I probably will get an Xray to see if surgery is required. Thanks so much for your help. It's good to know that I can turn to you if I need to make a decision like this again.

You're very welcome! Feel free to post a reply again if you have more questions after your appointment.

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (11799 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (76111 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (60341 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6117 views)

Puppy won't eat or drink. My puppy has not been feeling good for the past 2 days. She doesn't eat or drink... (100778 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (8749 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (11335 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (6809 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (7670 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (26231 views)