Cat behavior problem.

Breed: don't know
We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a 3 year old girl named Po that we have had since she was months old. She has always been mean to the new cat and has always bullied her too, but it isn't that Po is just mean because we also have a 9 year old male and they cuddle and lick each other. At first we thought she would quit bullying after she got used to the new cat, but it has just gotten worse. Po will actually go and seek out the 13 year old where ever she is hiding just so she can attack her. We put the 9 year old and Po in the basement during the night and leave the 13 year old up stairs so they don't fight during the night. We have tried just leaving them alone to sort it out themselves and we have tried separating them. No luck. Our 13 year old cat is living in fear and is too scared to come out of hiding most of the time. I'm affraid they just can't live together, but if there is anything that could help, please tell. Why do you think Po is so insistent on being horribly mean to our 13 year old, and is there anything we can do to help stop the bullying and attacking?

It can often be difficult to have more than one cat living in a house. While some cats love to have kitty roommates many do not. Having more than one cat is the number one source of stress in cats.

You may want to look into a product called Feliway which you can get as either a plugin or a spray. Feliway releases pheromones into the air that help cats to feel less stress. There are some good research studies behind it to show that it can be effective.

Here are some other things you can do to help to cut down the bullying:

• Make sure each cat has a "safe space". You can get a Kitty Condo, or even several things like this to act as a place of refuge where a cat can hide away.

• Spend lots of time grooming and giving individual attention to each cat.

• Keep all cats' nails trimmed short to minimize the chance of injury.

• Have litter boxes available in several places so that one of the less bold cats can always have access to one without having to go past the bully.

You may want to also consider talking to your vet about using behavioral modifying medication such as amitryptiline. Sometimes we will use this on the aggressive cat for a few months and then wean off of it once the behavior gets better.

I hope things are better soon.

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (31638 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (96588 views)

Horrible euthanasia experience Why was my pets euthanasia a nightmare? I brought my cat Jack in for euthanasia... (9266 views)

Are tomatoes bad for dogs? I have a question about dogs and tomatoes. I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe... (532945 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (6207 views)

Paralyzed Rottweiler. 10 yr old rottie mix 100 lbs suddenly became unable to move or walk 5 days ago. He... (12589 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (28148 views)

Big belly in stray cat. Hello, One day a stray cat showed up at our Home, We could tell she was expecting.... (22830 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (21854 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (9099 views)