Cat behavior problem.

Breed: don't know
We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a 3 year old girl named Po that we have had since she was months old. She has always been mean to the new cat and has always bullied her too, but it isn't that Po is just mean because we also have a 9 year old male and they cuddle and lick each other. At first we thought she would quit bullying after she got used to the new cat, but it has just gotten worse. Po will actually go and seek out the 13 year old where ever she is hiding just so she can attack her. We put the 9 year old and Po in the basement during the night and leave the 13 year old up stairs so they don't fight during the night. We have tried just leaving them alone to sort it out themselves and we have tried separating them. No luck. Our 13 year old cat is living in fear and is too scared to come out of hiding most of the time. I'm affraid they just can't live together, but if there is anything that could help, please tell. Why do you think Po is so insistent on being horribly mean to our 13 year old, and is there anything we can do to help stop the bullying and attacking?

It can often be difficult to have more than one cat living in a house. While some cats love to have kitty roommates many do not. Having more than one cat is the number one source of stress in cats.

You may want to look into a product called Feliway which you can get as either a plugin or a spray. Feliway releases pheromones into the air that help cats to feel less stress. There are some good research studies behind it to show that it can be effective.

Here are some other things you can do to help to cut down the bullying:

• Make sure each cat has a "safe space". You can get a Kitty Condo, or even several things like this to act as a place of refuge where a cat can hide away.

• Spend lots of time grooming and giving individual attention to each cat.

• Keep all cats' nails trimmed short to minimize the chance of injury.

• Have litter boxes available in several places so that one of the less bold cats can always have access to one without having to go past the bully.

You may want to also consider talking to your vet about using behavioral modifying medication such as amitryptiline. Sometimes we will use this on the aggressive cat for a few months and then wean off of it once the behavior gets better.

I hope things are better soon.

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (71334 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (11840 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (58895 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (26661 views)

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (28414 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (19782 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (9752 views)

Yellow vaginal discharge. my female cat has yellow vaginal discharge what does this mean? is it a sign of... (13906 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (16535 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (6928 views)