Cat behavior problem.

Breed: don't know
We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a 3 year old girl named Po that we have had since she was months old. She has always been mean to the new cat and has always bullied her too, but it isn't that Po is just mean because we also have a 9 year old male and they cuddle and lick each other. At first we thought she would quit bullying after she got used to the new cat, but it has just gotten worse. Po will actually go and seek out the 13 year old where ever she is hiding just so she can attack her. We put the 9 year old and Po in the basement during the night and leave the 13 year old up stairs so they don't fight during the night. We have tried just leaving them alone to sort it out themselves and we have tried separating them. No luck. Our 13 year old cat is living in fear and is too scared to come out of hiding most of the time. I'm affraid they just can't live together, but if there is anything that could help, please tell. Why do you think Po is so insistent on being horribly mean to our 13 year old, and is there anything we can do to help stop the bullying and attacking?

It can often be difficult to have more than one cat living in a house. While some cats love to have kitty roommates many do not. Having more than one cat is the number one source of stress in cats.

You may want to look into a product called Feliway which you can get as either a plugin or a spray. Feliway releases pheromones into the air that help cats to feel less stress. There are some good research studies behind it to show that it can be effective.

Here are some other things you can do to help to cut down the bullying:

• Make sure each cat has a "safe space". You can get a Kitty Condo, or even several things like this to act as a place of refuge where a cat can hide away.

• Spend lots of time grooming and giving individual attention to each cat.

• Keep all cats' nails trimmed short to minimize the chance of injury.

• Have litter boxes available in several places so that one of the less bold cats can always have access to one without having to go past the bully.

You may want to also consider talking to your vet about using behavioral modifying medication such as amitryptiline. Sometimes we will use this on the aggressive cat for a few months and then wean off of it once the behavior gets better.

I hope things are better soon.

Puppy has soft stools. Background: Junior is a rescue. My first dog ever. I got him about 1 month ago,... (8180 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (9655 views)

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (12846 views)

Get rid of parvo virus. I have a general question about Parvo virus, Its a very very common virus I know,... (25802 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (9776 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (5217 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (18632 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6423 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (11684 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (135187 views)