Cat behavior problem.

Breed: don't know
We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a 3 year old girl named Po that we have had since she was months old. She has always been mean to the new cat and has always bullied her too, but it isn't that Po is just mean because we also have a 9 year old male and they cuddle and lick each other. At first we thought she would quit bullying after she got used to the new cat, but it has just gotten worse. Po will actually go and seek out the 13 year old where ever she is hiding just so she can attack her. We put the 9 year old and Po in the basement during the night and leave the 13 year old up stairs so they don't fight during the night. We have tried just leaving them alone to sort it out themselves and we have tried separating them. No luck. Our 13 year old cat is living in fear and is too scared to come out of hiding most of the time. I'm affraid they just can't live together, but if there is anything that could help, please tell. Why do you think Po is so insistent on being horribly mean to our 13 year old, and is there anything we can do to help stop the bullying and attacking?

It can often be difficult to have more than one cat living in a house. While some cats love to have kitty roommates many do not. Having more than one cat is the number one source of stress in cats.

You may want to look into a product called Feliway which you can get as either a plugin or a spray. Feliway releases pheromones into the air that help cats to feel less stress. There are some good research studies behind it to show that it can be effective.

Here are some other things you can do to help to cut down the bullying:

• Make sure each cat has a "safe space". You can get a Kitty Condo, or even several things like this to act as a place of refuge where a cat can hide away.

• Spend lots of time grooming and giving individual attention to each cat.

• Keep all cats' nails trimmed short to minimize the chance of injury.

• Have litter boxes available in several places so that one of the less bold cats can always have access to one without having to go past the bully.

You may want to also consider talking to your vet about using behavioral modifying medication such as amitryptiline. Sometimes we will use this on the aggressive cat for a few months and then wean off of it once the behavior gets better.

I hope things are better soon.

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (6702 views)

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (38312 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (10644 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (11428 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (37237 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (19412 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (19127 views)

Young cat died after sneezing. I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize. I had four... (11298 views)

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (15904 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (46777 views)