Bottom lip tremor.

Breed: tea cup poodle
my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause this?

Hmm..interesting question. There are a few things that could cause a dog to have tremors in her lip.

Does it happen all the time, or just occasionally? If it happens periodically it could be something called a focal seizure. This is a seizure that affects just one part of the body. These are not very common. One possible cause for this is if part of her brain had been injured by a virus such as distemper.

It is also possible that there is some pain in her mouth. Dogs will do all they can to hide dental pain. If you can't tell if there is pain it would be great to have your vet check her out.

Your vet can also have a really good look inside the mouth to see if there is something stuck in there. Common areas to have something stuck are across the roof of the mouth or to have something wrapped around a tooth.

In any case, it is not a normal behavior and it definitely be worthwhile to have your vet check it out.

Hope everything is ok!

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (16240 views)

Dog ate sanitary pad About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He ... (8527 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (12106 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (79697 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (11768 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (43521 views)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (7639 views)

Thyroid cancer? Hello, about 10 months ago my dog started heavily panting while playing with her... (13966 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (7350 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (61714 views)