Sedative after heartworm treatment?

Breed: Boxer/Lab
Hello Dr. Marie,

I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated for heartworm. She received her first injection two days ago on the 3rd. She seems to be doing okay. I can tell that she is very sore and not feeling herself. I know that she needs to stay rested and calm. Our vet said that if we know we are going to have people over, we should give her a sedative. I guess what I am wondering is how concerned should I be about her getting too excited and for how long??

Also would it be all right to give her some sort of sedative?

Thank you so much.

Jordan

Sorry to hear that Kenna has to go through heartworm treatment. It sounds like your vet is giving Immiticide injections which is the common treatment for heartworm.

There are a couple of reasons why we recommend to keep a dog quiet after Immiticide is given. One is because the injection can cause severe bruising which makes the muscles sore. (The muscles that will be sore are on the top of the dog's back, near the end of the back). So, we need to not have her move around too much and cause more pain to herself.

The other reason is that the medication will be killing worms that are living in her heart. If she is extremely active her heart rate will go up and this will cause more stress on her heart that is already dealing with a lot.

Regarding the sedative, this is really something you need to get your vet's ok to do. I am not legally allowed to advise medications online. Your vet may prescribe something to help you out. There really isn't an over the counter medication that would be safe and effective.

I hope the rest of treatment goes ok!

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (3535 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (4317 views)

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (10764 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (6686 views)

Hamster cough. Do hamsters have to have a special treatment when they have got a... (7896 views)

Cat scratch fever. We have had our cat Zeus for over a year. He is up to date on his vaccines and is an... (3712 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (9085 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (13536 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (10585 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (9103 views)