Sedative after heartworm treatment?

Breed: Boxer/Lab
Hello Dr. Marie,

I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated for heartworm. She received her first injection two days ago on the 3rd. She seems to be doing okay. I can tell that she is very sore and not feeling herself. I know that she needs to stay rested and calm. Our vet said that if we know we are going to have people over, we should give her a sedative. I guess what I am wondering is how concerned should I be about her getting too excited and for how long??

Also would it be all right to give her some sort of sedative?

Thank you so much.

Jordan

Sorry to hear that Kenna has to go through heartworm treatment. It sounds like your vet is giving Immiticide injections which is the common treatment for heartworm.

There are a couple of reasons why we recommend to keep a dog quiet after Immiticide is given. One is because the injection can cause severe bruising which makes the muscles sore. (The muscles that will be sore are on the top of the dog's back, near the end of the back). So, we need to not have her move around too much and cause more pain to herself.

The other reason is that the medication will be killing worms that are living in her heart. If she is extremely active her heart rate will go up and this will cause more stress on her heart that is already dealing with a lot.

Regarding the sedative, this is really something you need to get your vet's ok to do. I am not legally allowed to advise medications online. Your vet may prescribe something to help you out. There really isn't an over the counter medication that would be safe and effective.

I hope the rest of treatment goes ok!

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (38517 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (16510 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (27150 views)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (11305 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (124122 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (3706 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (7671 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (77989 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (16686 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (15006 views)