Sedative after heartworm treatment?

Breed: Boxer/Lab
Hello Dr. Marie,

I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated for heartworm. She received her first injection two days ago on the 3rd. She seems to be doing okay. I can tell that she is very sore and not feeling herself. I know that she needs to stay rested and calm. Our vet said that if we know we are going to have people over, we should give her a sedative. I guess what I am wondering is how concerned should I be about her getting too excited and for how long??

Also would it be all right to give her some sort of sedative?

Thank you so much.

Jordan

Sorry to hear that Kenna has to go through heartworm treatment. It sounds like your vet is giving Immiticide injections which is the common treatment for heartworm.

There are a couple of reasons why we recommend to keep a dog quiet after Immiticide is given. One is because the injection can cause severe bruising which makes the muscles sore. (The muscles that will be sore are on the top of the dog's back, near the end of the back). So, we need to not have her move around too much and cause more pain to herself.

The other reason is that the medication will be killing worms that are living in her heart. If she is extremely active her heart rate will go up and this will cause more stress on her heart that is already dealing with a lot.

Regarding the sedative, this is really something you need to get your vet's ok to do. I am not legally allowed to advise medications online. Your vet may prescribe something to help you out. There really isn't an over the counter medication that would be safe and effective.

I hope the rest of treatment goes ok!

Vomiting and bloody stool. We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have... (15101 views)

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (28559 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (11943 views)

Old dog with mammary lump Gizmo, our shihtzu is naturally slowing due to age- her hearing is gone - her sight... (10524 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (13005 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (8352 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (39182 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (7600 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (8357 views)

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (141212 views)