Should I breed my dog?

Breed: Terrier Mix
I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies will be well cared for..as I have people that would take one and family members who are interested. The only problem is that Candie is not used to being with other dogs. She is very...well...anti-social. There is a male that we have tried to mate her with before and who is willing...but she just never cooperates. My question is...is there any way that we can retrieve the male "part" of mating and then deliver it to my dog Candie? Is there a way that our vet can do that??

Unfortunately, you are probably not going to like the answer that I'm about to give you.

I would highly recommend that you do not breed Candie. Here are my reasons why:

1. Even if you have homes lined up for the puppies, there are so many unwanted puppies out there that get euthanized every day. I never recommend that someone breeds their dog unless they are a professional breeder that works hard to improve their dog's breed. (Being a professional breeder is hard work!)

2. There are many things that can go wrong when breeding a dog. Have you considered what would happen if it is 3 am and Candie needs a C-Section? A C-Section at an emergency clinic can easily run you $1500-$3000. And you likely would need to have that money up front. Also, most pet insurance plans do not cover C-Sections as this is considered a problem that is easily prevented by spaying your dog.

3. The whole idea of breeding dogs is to produce great puppies. You've mentioned that Candie has some socialization issues. These are likely to be passed on to her puppies.

So, to answer your question, it is possible to have a vet perform artificial insemination which means that they would collect semen from the male and then insert it into the female. This can be costly. You would be hard pressed to find a vet who would do this for a mixed breed dog, however.

I'm sorry for the bad news. I would highly advise having Candie spayed. This may help with her socialization issues. It will also help prevent serious issues like pyometra (uterine infection) and certain cancers.

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (7759 views)

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (31142 views)

Mast cell tumor. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up... (11893 views)

Guinea pig biting. How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me? Recently my... (9987 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (48454 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (8787 views)

Mange treatment. Dr. Marie: My dog has demodectic mange. We give her Promeris, but it makes her... (17194 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (18222 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (7750 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (9516 views)