Should I breed my dog?

Breed: Terrier Mix
I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies will be well cared for..as I have people that would take one and family members who are interested. The only problem is that Candie is not used to being with other dogs. She is very...well...anti-social. There is a male that we have tried to mate her with before and who is willing...but she just never cooperates. My question is...is there any way that we can retrieve the male "part" of mating and then deliver it to my dog Candie? Is there a way that our vet can do that??

Unfortunately, you are probably not going to like the answer that I'm about to give you.

I would highly recommend that you do not breed Candie. Here are my reasons why:

1. Even if you have homes lined up for the puppies, there are so many unwanted puppies out there that get euthanized every day. I never recommend that someone breeds their dog unless they are a professional breeder that works hard to improve their dog's breed. (Being a professional breeder is hard work!)

2. There are many things that can go wrong when breeding a dog. Have you considered what would happen if it is 3 am and Candie needs a C-Section? A C-Section at an emergency clinic can easily run you $1500-$3000. And you likely would need to have that money up front. Also, most pet insurance plans do not cover C-Sections as this is considered a problem that is easily prevented by spaying your dog.

3. The whole idea of breeding dogs is to produce great puppies. You've mentioned that Candie has some socialization issues. These are likely to be passed on to her puppies.

So, to answer your question, it is possible to have a vet perform artificial insemination which means that they would collect semen from the male and then insert it into the female. This can be costly. You would be hard pressed to find a vet who would do this for a mixed breed dog, however.

I'm sorry for the bad news. I would highly advise having Candie spayed. This may help with her socialization issues. It will also help prevent serious issues like pyometra (uterine infection) and certain cancers.

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (20966 views)

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (8127 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (10698 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (62653 views)

Vita Calm in dogs? i was wondering if i could safly use vitacalm for hosres on my dog for his... (8045 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (15986 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (6807 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (17822 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (13609 views)

White spot on eyelid. King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on... (27235 views)