Should I breed my dog?

Breed: Terrier Mix
I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies will be well cared for..as I have people that would take one and family members who are interested. The only problem is that Candie is not used to being with other dogs. She is very...well...anti-social. There is a male that we have tried to mate her with before and who is willing...but she just never cooperates. My question is...is there any way that we can retrieve the male "part" of mating and then deliver it to my dog Candie? Is there a way that our vet can do that??

Unfortunately, you are probably not going to like the answer that I'm about to give you.

I would highly recommend that you do not breed Candie. Here are my reasons why:

1. Even if you have homes lined up for the puppies, there are so many unwanted puppies out there that get euthanized every day. I never recommend that someone breeds their dog unless they are a professional breeder that works hard to improve their dog's breed. (Being a professional breeder is hard work!)

2. There are many things that can go wrong when breeding a dog. Have you considered what would happen if it is 3 am and Candie needs a C-Section? A C-Section at an emergency clinic can easily run you $1500-$3000. And you likely would need to have that money up front. Also, most pet insurance plans do not cover C-Sections as this is considered a problem that is easily prevented by spaying your dog.

3. The whole idea of breeding dogs is to produce great puppies. You've mentioned that Candie has some socialization issues. These are likely to be passed on to her puppies.

So, to answer your question, it is possible to have a vet perform artificial insemination which means that they would collect semen from the male and then insert it into the female. This can be costly. You would be hard pressed to find a vet who would do this for a mixed breed dog, however.

I'm sorry for the bad news. I would highly advise having Candie spayed. This may help with her socialization issues. It will also help prevent serious issues like pyometra (uterine infection) and certain cancers.

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (13361 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (8743 views)

PNST in a dog. My Jack Russell (8 years old) was just diagnosed with a PNST. Which was discovered... (11367 views)

Mesenchymal tumor Need some input. My dog (she's 6)had developed a small lump/bump on her head above... (7217 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (40244 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (8828 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (18345 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (27144 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (12555 views)

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (28781 views)