Should I breed my dog?

Breed: Terrier Mix
I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies will be well cared for..as I have people that would take one and family members who are interested. The only problem is that Candie is not used to being with other dogs. She is very...well...anti-social. There is a male that we have tried to mate her with before and who is willing...but she just never cooperates. My question is...is there any way that we can retrieve the male "part" of mating and then deliver it to my dog Candie? Is there a way that our vet can do that??

Unfortunately, you are probably not going to like the answer that I'm about to give you.

I would highly recommend that you do not breed Candie. Here are my reasons why:

1. Even if you have homes lined up for the puppies, there are so many unwanted puppies out there that get euthanized every day. I never recommend that someone breeds their dog unless they are a professional breeder that works hard to improve their dog's breed. (Being a professional breeder is hard work!)

2. There are many things that can go wrong when breeding a dog. Have you considered what would happen if it is 3 am and Candie needs a C-Section? A C-Section at an emergency clinic can easily run you $1500-$3000. And you likely would need to have that money up front. Also, most pet insurance plans do not cover C-Sections as this is considered a problem that is easily prevented by spaying your dog.

3. The whole idea of breeding dogs is to produce great puppies. You've mentioned that Candie has some socialization issues. These are likely to be passed on to her puppies.

So, to answer your question, it is possible to have a vet perform artificial insemination which means that they would collect semen from the male and then insert it into the female. This can be costly. You would be hard pressed to find a vet who would do this for a mixed breed dog, however.

I'm sorry for the bad news. I would highly advise having Candie spayed. This may help with her socialization issues. It will also help prevent serious issues like pyometra (uterine infection) and certain cancers.

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (7301 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (4913 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (8625 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (18583 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (33370 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (9164 views)

Back leg shaking. My aging Pit bull terrier's back leg shakes like he has Parkinson's disease. Back... (7544 views)

Bald on belly. My cat is around seven years old and recently started going bald on her stomach.... (10221 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (6274 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (5503 views)