Should I breed my dog?

Breed: Terrier Mix
I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies will be well cared for..as I have people that would take one and family members who are interested. The only problem is that Candie is not used to being with other dogs. She is very...well...anti-social. There is a male that we have tried to mate her with before and who is willing...but she just never cooperates. My question is...is there any way that we can retrieve the male "part" of mating and then deliver it to my dog Candie? Is there a way that our vet can do that??

Unfortunately, you are probably not going to like the answer that I'm about to give you.

I would highly recommend that you do not breed Candie. Here are my reasons why:

1. Even if you have homes lined up for the puppies, there are so many unwanted puppies out there that get euthanized every day. I never recommend that someone breeds their dog unless they are a professional breeder that works hard to improve their dog's breed. (Being a professional breeder is hard work!)

2. There are many things that can go wrong when breeding a dog. Have you considered what would happen if it is 3 am and Candie needs a C-Section? A C-Section at an emergency clinic can easily run you $1500-$3000. And you likely would need to have that money up front. Also, most pet insurance plans do not cover C-Sections as this is considered a problem that is easily prevented by spaying your dog.

3. The whole idea of breeding dogs is to produce great puppies. You've mentioned that Candie has some socialization issues. These are likely to be passed on to her puppies.

So, to answer your question, it is possible to have a vet perform artificial insemination which means that they would collect semen from the male and then insert it into the female. This can be costly. You would be hard pressed to find a vet who would do this for a mixed breed dog, however.

I'm sorry for the bad news. I would highly advise having Candie spayed. This may help with her socialization issues. It will also help prevent serious issues like pyometra (uterine infection) and certain cancers.

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (11710 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (8327 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in pregnancy. My dog has had 1 or 2 ties and it's been about a week now and she's starting to have... (6024 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (9900 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (91706 views)

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (12186 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (22152 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (10114 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (61090 views)

Dog licking other dog's ear. My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my... (54495 views)