Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Immodium overdose?

Species: Dog
Breed: Chihuahua
Age: 2-5 years
I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose and now she can not deficate, is vomiting some, coughing like she is choking and duelling, what should I do. We have a power outage and my cell phone is not working, please help.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Hi. I'm sorry to hear that your chihuahua may not be well. I'm going to do some research for you which will take me a few minutes. Can you tell me roughly how much your dog weighs?



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

OK. A tablet of Immodium contains 2 mg of Loperamide. At doses of 1.25-5 mg /kg we can see signs of toxicity. So, let's say that your dog weighed 5 lbs. That is the same as 2.3 kg. This means that we can see signs of overdose at as little as 2.8 mg. Given that she had 2 mg she probably hasn't had a lethal dose.

With that said, *if* we give Immodium to a dog ( and I don't usually recommend this), the dose is normally 0.1 mg/kg which would be 0.5 mg for a 5 lb dog. As such, it is understandable that she may be feeling unwell after receiving a full tablet.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything that I can recommend you doing at home for your dog. There are some medications that can help but they are all medications that would have to be administered at the vet's office.

My other concern is that there could be something else going on. If you gave Immodium then it was likely because your dog has diarrhea. It's possible that the symptoms that you are seeing now are because of some type of serious underlying condition.

I wish I could give you more advice, but I would highly recommend that you take an emergency trip to the vet's right away.

I really hope everything is ok.

Dr. Marie.



Customer reply:

my dog weighs 7 lbs and i gave her 2 mg 25 hrs. ago. today was the first day that she has shown signs of lethargy. she did throw up a couple of times today with a bit of druelling. She seems very sad and sleepy. She tried to go to potty a couple of times but nothing came out. I am worried that I overdosed her, but that should of showed up sooner, right? Please help me with your advise. It is too late for a doctor it is 10:00 pm. is there a home remedy I can use?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

OK. I had done my calculations assuming she was 5 lbs. (See my response above). 7 lbs makes a lethal overdose even more unlikely. But, unfortunately I still stand by my advice that you need to have an emergency vet see her. She sounds very uncomfortable and there is really nothing that you can do at home that would make a significant difference.

I wish I could offer more!

Dr. Marie



Customer reply:

I wish I could take her to a vet tonite, but I live in the mountains of Tennessee and will not have access til tomorrow when my husband gets home from work to take me. Do you think I could wait til tomorrow morning, she did jump off the recliner and came into the bedroom where I was at before my husband went to work. She is laying here next to me quitely, next to me, she did twich once. Her resperations are not labored, but how many respirations does a dog have to have in a minute? Her gums are salmon pink and her skin retracts back, quite well. When pressure is applied to her gums, the color comes right back. She just stares straight ahead, with her ears twitching every now and then. I know you are very busy, but please do you think she could make it til the morning? It is very hard to find a vet in this part of the mountains. Thank you for your time. If you could tell me how many respirations per min., would help me. Her ears are perked up. I will let you go. thank you for your time. Your resonse will truely be appreciated.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

The twitching has me concerned. This can indeed be a sign of overdose. My gut instinct, again, is to say that this dose is not likely to be lethal, but if there is any way at all for you to find a vet tonight I would highly recommend it. I know this is difficult. No one can say with certainty whether it is necessary, but I am definitely concerned.

Respirations are hard to pin down. For a small dog, somewhere around 30-40 per minute (or less) would be normal, but I don't think that this is our biggest concern.

Dr. Marie



Customer reply:

Thank you for your much appreciated time, I can only pray that my dog will be fine, til tomorrow. I will stay up with her all nite and wont leave her alone. You have been more than helpful, again thank you for your concern, Olga Keirsey


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

You're very welcome! I do hope that everything works out ok!

Dr. Marie



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (8296 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (9237 views)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (11096 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (10980 views)

MacuGuard Ocular Support My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as... (2956 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (25522 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (3501 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (8615 views)

Chihuahua fell from couch. Hello. I have a sweet, loving, happy, and spoiled female chihuahua, weighing about... (6526 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (11959 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.