Tapeworms in cat.

Breed: Not sure
I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also I've been using flea drops yet my cat still has reoccurring tapeworms. It seems to go then reappears after 2 months. Can you tell me if they are the same tapeworms or new ones reappearing, should I treat him every 2 months instead?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Tapeworms can only be spread from animal to animal by an intermediate host. The vast majority of the time, that host is either a flea or a mouse.

So, I can think of a few possible reasons for Oliver to keep getting tapeworms.

The first would be if you don't have effective flea prevention on him. Are you using a prescription strength flea product such as Revolution or Advantage or Frontline? If you are using a pet store flea product then you are likely not killing all of the fleas. If some fleas remain then they can continue to carry tapeworms. Also, be sure that you are treating every month with flea prevention and that every cat and dog in the house is being treated.

The next possibility is if Oliver keeps eating mice that are carrying tapeworms. If this is the case then he can keep getting reinfected. And if you think this is the case, then yes I would keep treating either every month or every two months.

Hope that helps,

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (14306 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (39593 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (4530 views)

Should dog with cancer be euthanized? Ben was diagnosed with a Grade III mast cell tumor last February. We had it... (15648 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (11435 views)

Guinea pig biting. How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me? Recently my... (8138 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (5098 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (7873 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (16144 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (13877 views)