Tapeworms in cat.

Breed: Not sure
I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also I've been using flea drops yet my cat still has reoccurring tapeworms. It seems to go then reappears after 2 months. Can you tell me if they are the same tapeworms or new ones reappearing, should I treat him every 2 months instead?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Tapeworms can only be spread from animal to animal by an intermediate host. The vast majority of the time, that host is either a flea or a mouse.

So, I can think of a few possible reasons for Oliver to keep getting tapeworms.

The first would be if you don't have effective flea prevention on him. Are you using a prescription strength flea product such as Revolution or Advantage or Frontline? If you are using a pet store flea product then you are likely not killing all of the fleas. If some fleas remain then they can continue to carry tapeworms. Also, be sure that you are treating every month with flea prevention and that every cat and dog in the house is being treated.

The next possibility is if Oliver keeps eating mice that are carrying tapeworms. If this is the case then he can keep getting reinfected. And if you think this is the case, then yes I would keep treating either every month or every two months.

Hope that helps,

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (51263 views)

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (14511 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (56037 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (225453 views)

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (16734 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9788 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (9419 views)

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (20270 views)

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (10098 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (8546 views)