Tapeworms in cat.

Breed: Not sure
I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also I've been using flea drops yet my cat still has reoccurring tapeworms. It seems to go then reappears after 2 months. Can you tell me if they are the same tapeworms or new ones reappearing, should I treat him every 2 months instead?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Tapeworms can only be spread from animal to animal by an intermediate host. The vast majority of the time, that host is either a flea or a mouse.

So, I can think of a few possible reasons for Oliver to keep getting tapeworms.

The first would be if you don't have effective flea prevention on him. Are you using a prescription strength flea product such as Revolution or Advantage or Frontline? If you are using a pet store flea product then you are likely not killing all of the fleas. If some fleas remain then they can continue to carry tapeworms. Also, be sure that you are treating every month with flea prevention and that every cat and dog in the house is being treated.

The next possibility is if Oliver keeps eating mice that are carrying tapeworms. If this is the case then he can keep getting reinfected. And if you think this is the case, then yes I would keep treating either every month or every two months.

Hope that helps,

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (8465 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (7976 views)

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (7533 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (35625 views)

Clear discharge from dog's nose. Hello, My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how... (21213 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (15293 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (13301 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (21666 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (27277 views)

Increased appetite and hair loss. My Burmese cat is losing her hair all over and I am concerned about how hungry she... (6056 views)