Tapeworms in cat.

Breed: Not sure
I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also I've been using flea drops yet my cat still has reoccurring tapeworms. It seems to go then reappears after 2 months. Can you tell me if they are the same tapeworms or new ones reappearing, should I treat him every 2 months instead?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Tapeworms can only be spread from animal to animal by an intermediate host. The vast majority of the time, that host is either a flea or a mouse.

So, I can think of a few possible reasons for Oliver to keep getting tapeworms.

The first would be if you don't have effective flea prevention on him. Are you using a prescription strength flea product such as Revolution or Advantage or Frontline? If you are using a pet store flea product then you are likely not killing all of the fleas. If some fleas remain then they can continue to carry tapeworms. Also, be sure that you are treating every month with flea prevention and that every cat and dog in the house is being treated.

The next possibility is if Oliver keeps eating mice that are carrying tapeworms. If this is the case then he can keep getting reinfected. And if you think this is the case, then yes I would keep treating either every month or every two months.

Hope that helps,

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (14750 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (5648 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (14093 views)

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (13341 views)

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (4637 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (15020 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (13465 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (19101 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (9805 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (14838 views)