Tapeworms in cat.

Breed: Not sure
I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also I've been using flea drops yet my cat still has reoccurring tapeworms. It seems to go then reappears after 2 months. Can you tell me if they are the same tapeworms or new ones reappearing, should I treat him every 2 months instead?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Tapeworms can only be spread from animal to animal by an intermediate host. The vast majority of the time, that host is either a flea or a mouse.

So, I can think of a few possible reasons for Oliver to keep getting tapeworms.

The first would be if you don't have effective flea prevention on him. Are you using a prescription strength flea product such as Revolution or Advantage or Frontline? If you are using a pet store flea product then you are likely not killing all of the fleas. If some fleas remain then they can continue to carry tapeworms. Also, be sure that you are treating every month with flea prevention and that every cat and dog in the house is being treated.

The next possibility is if Oliver keeps eating mice that are carrying tapeworms. If this is the case then he can keep getting reinfected. And if you think this is the case, then yes I would keep treating either every month or every two months.

Hope that helps,

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (33046 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (10899 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (13381 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (12963 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (17404 views)

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (15394 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (22347 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (15252 views)

Bleeding from penis won't stop. I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to... (41472 views)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (13136 views)