Cat not eating.

Breed: Long-haired (possibl
Hello, Dr. Haynes -

My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much recently - and by recently I'd say the last two days.

I have seen him both eat and drink, but he doesn't seem to be doing much of either. He'll eat a few pieces of kibble and walk away.

I've not changed his brand or formula of food, water, or even his litter type recently.

I scooped his litter last yesterday and didn't see any feces, though there were a few clumps of urine (I use a scoopable litter).

He does not seem lethargic - he rolled around in catnip yesterday, and we've played, too.

He does seem to be meowing a lot, but it's doesn't seem to be a pained meow (at least not compared to, say, the kind of meowing he was doing when he needed his anal glands expressed - he was not happy about that, obviously).

I do have a local veterinarian, but these symptoms seem pretty vague. Are there things I should be looking or watching for? A problem with his teeth? Some sort of blockage?

Thank you!

Thanks for your question. I always get concerned when a cat doesn't want to eat. It almost always means that there is a medical issue.

Does Simon go outside at all? If so, it's possible that he has received a wound (i.e. a bite/scratch) from another cat. This can cause a fever which can cause a lack of appetite. While most cats with this are lethargic, it can often be hard to tell until they get really sick.

There are a number of other conditions. At his age he is middle aged to senior. We worry about problems with the liver, kidneys or pancreas. Pancreatitis can cause cats to not want to eat well. Again, we usually see some lethargy, but not always, especially early in the disease.

It's also possible that he has a dental infection or some other kind of dental problem.

You mentioned you haven't changed his food lately. Is it possible he is near the bottom of a large bag of food? Sometimes food can go bad after a while.

My general rule of thumb is that if a cat has gone more than 48 hours without eating then they should see a vet. The vet will do a thorough exam and take his temperature. (If the temperature is high then this would go along with some type of wound or infection.)

If Simon seems well on the physical exam the vet may do something as simple as prescribe an appetite stimulant. However, most likely they will want to do some blood tests to determine if there is a more serious problem.

Because he is bright and happy today you likely don't have to rush in to the vet's today. It may not be a bad idea to try him with a really tasty food such as a can of fancy feast and see if he will eat that. But, if he is not eating by tomorrow morning then I would have him seen.

I hope he is ok!

Dr. Marie -

I'm going to pick up some wet food for Simon tonight, and we've got an appointment with the veterinarian tomorrow morning.

Thank you!!

Best,
Laura

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (7235 views)

Does Pet Calm Work? Dr. Marie My Bobbie has serious trembling normally during the evning and night.... (14604 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (6198 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (8134 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (13023 views)

Dog ate staples My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting... (56120 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (10730 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (21093 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (12588 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (10583 views)